FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

A monster is brewing...Willie Shawn Lamont Calhoun...

8% BB, 12.3% K and a .267 BABIP...Seems like the babip is correcting

• Like 1

Big props to these forums.  He wasn't even on my radar until people started to discuss him.  Sure hope he sticks at 2nd, cause that's some tantalizing upside for a MI position.

• Like 2

when do these type of players get added to yahoo or espn?  when they are brought up? or have some extended time in spring training?

No clue on ESPN, but on Yahoo if prospects are not added to the database when the game opens each year they typically are not added to the player list until after they are called up (usually added to your league's waivers depending on your league settings). There have been a few notable exceptions but they are rare (Yoan Moncada was added last year during the season, and Cincinnati's Cody Reed was added this year during the season well before his call up).

In Yahoo, what you also need to make sure is that your commissioner has the available players setting on "As soon as Yahoo adds them" instead of "wait until called up". If your league has the latter setting, you won't see any prospects until after they are called up whether they're in Yahoo's database or not - a ton of players get burned by that setting.

think this is why you gotta use a spreadsheet or fantrax, personally.

site limitations suck

16 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

think this is why you gotta use a spreadsheet or fantrax, personally.

site limitations suck

This.  With how awesome Fantrax is now, I wouldn't be surprised to see them overtake Yahoo and ESPN in the next five years. They have every player in the baseball universe on the site.  For example, when I loaded rosters this year, I went to add Albert Pujols and noticed they had four players with the last name of Pujols.  Thought he was the only one on the planet with that name.

• Like 2

Per ESPN's FAQ page:

Q.png

When are rookies placed on the Waiver Wire?
Players will be listed on the ESPN Fantasy Baseball waiver/free agent list the morning after they are officially added to the team's 25-man roster (which is often the day after they play for the first time, since most big-league teams make the roster moves right before the start of the games.) Therefore, if you see a rookie make his debut, he will be in the player pool that next morning, if he is not already in it.

Before the season begins, ESPN may manually add without notice any player our experts believe has a legitimate shot at playing in the upcoming season, even if that rookie is not on the 40-man roster yet. When we do so, those players will show up, either in FA or on waivers.

Just now, RotoSapien said:

This.  With how awesome Fantrax is now, I wouldn't be surprised to see them overtake Yahoo and ESPN in the next five years. They have every player in the baseball universe on the site.  For example, when I loaded rosters this year, I went to add Albert Pujols and noticed they had four players with the last name of Pujols.  Thought he was the only one on the planet with that name.

We're still running ESPN, but we have a sweet spreadsheet that people can individually edit. A lot of work went into the tech specifics of getting the spreadsheet working the way it is right now, even has an add/drop transaction log.

I tried fantrax a while ago and hated it. But I did hear they've improved the ui/ux a ton. We're on the fence about moving, probably won't just because how good the spreadsheet is and how familiar people are with ESPN.

How is fantrax with foreign players? For example, do they have Shohei Otani, Shintaro Fujinami, Lourdes Gourriel Jr., Kevin Maitan, etc.?

^

" How is fantrax with foreign players? For example, do they have Shohei Otani, Shintaro Fujinami, Lourdes Gourriel Jr., Kevin Maitan, etc.? "

I just checked and FanTrax does have all of the above players and they also have Yulieski Gourriel.

Moved all of my leagues to FanTrax this year and am quite happy with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

We're still running ESPN, but we have a sweet spreadsheet that people can individually edit. A lot of work went into the tech specifics of getting the spreadsheet working the way it is right now, even has an add/drop transaction log.

I tried fantrax a while ago and hated it. But I did hear they've improved the ui/ux a ton. We're on the fence about moving, probably won't just because how good the spreadsheet is and how familiar people are with ESPN.

How is fantrax with foreign players? For example, do they have Shohei Otani, Shintaro Fujinami, Lourdes Gourriel Jr., Kevin Maitan, etc.?

Yes.It has the more notable ones

The beauty of fantrax is that if someone IS missing. You can report it and if you have a valid link showing the player exists in the baseball universe. They will add those players to the data base. Its database is so big because of self reporting from its users and being flexible in adding them. Unlike ESPN/Yahoo. Who have these silly spefic requirements to get a player in the database.

• Like 1

Is Fantrax free? One of my leagues used them for a couple years and I loved it, but if memory serves correctly, they started charging, which is why we moved on to ESPN.

I really wish a site existed that ranked hitting prospects purely on the bat... Calhoun's not exactly a gold glover, but from the sound of it the bat is special. 

Dudes like this fall through the cracks on the MLB prospect lists because there's very little defensive value, but who gives a crap for fantasy as long as a team is willing to put him in the lineup?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

I really wish a site existed that ranked hitting prospects purely on the bat... Calhoun's not exactly a gold glover, but from the sound of it the bat is special. 

Dudes like this fall through the cracks on the MLB prospect lists because there's very little defensive value, but who gives a crap for fantasy as long as a team is willing to put him in the lineup?

A lot of sites do rankings of prospect for fantasy baseball,  But in all honesty, Calhoun being lower or not on prospect lists probably helps savy owners get him.  I mean, Reed isn't anywhere near the top 10 in rankings.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

A lot of sites do rankings of prospect for fantasy baseball,

This is true, but even those sites seem to miss guys like this.

Just looked up some stats...Nearing the halfway point, Calhoun is:

3rd in the Texas League in SLG at .525

6th in the Texas League in OPS at .865

2nd in the Texas League in TBs at 125

22 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

22 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

Michael Halpern at Imaginary Brick Wall does fantasy rankings

Willie was #43 in the preseason. This guy is legit, hit on Harrison Bader too. One of my friends from /r/fantasybaseball.

http://www.imaginarybrickwall.com/2016-top-100-fantasy-baseball-prospect-rankings-1-100/

45 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

A lot of sites do rankings of prospect for fantasy baseball,  But in all honesty, Calhoun being lower or not on prospect lists probably helps savy owners get him.  I mean, Reed isn't anywhere near the top 10 in rankings.

I'm with you. I love finding under the radar guys. Baseball Prospectus can splooge over guys who are overrated as hell for fantasy while I'll find under the radar guys like Willie.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Plus his route to the majors D2 player.  His height (or lack of height).   He was a 4th round pick not some top 50 pick.

Prospects lists missed him much more because of this rather than them holding his defense against him.  Because even prospect publications understand how important good hitters are.  Even if the guy was projected to DH he should still be in the top 100.  He's that advanced of a hitter.  It wasn't like the prospect publications were like "Maaaan Willie could be in the top 100 but his glove sucks."  As if they have seen him in the field extensively, everything from AA down is mostly scouting reports and reading someone else's opinion who often many times hasn't seen much more than a game or two of the player they are evaluating. 

Yes most prospect rankings are more for real life than fantasy.  But that isn't the reason they missed out on Willie.  But it may be a reason that Willie isn't as high as he should be on the mid season updates. 

I respectfully disagree foul. I can't say for sure why Willie isn't ranked higher before this season, but almost every blurb I've seen on him was that he can hit but looks like a butcher at 2b and they don't know where his bat will play.

You can't really do better than mash 31 homers in 63 games in college as well as mashed last year after he was drafted. 

Only real reason I see for him being avoided in rankings is the glove. Perhaps some of it is his height too. Short players always have their height factored against them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I respectfully disagree foul. I can't say for sure why Willie isn't ranked higher before this season, but almost every blurb I've seen on him was that he can hit but looks like a butcher at 2b and they don't know where his bat will play.

You can't really do better than mash 31 homers in 63 games in college as well as mashed last year after he was drafted. 

Only real reason I see for him being avoided in rankings is the glove. Perhaps some of it is his height too. Short players always have their height factored against them.

Jose Altuve was an undrafted free agent.

44 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Jose Altuve was an undrafted free agent.

Altuve also never cracked top prospect lists either.  

Brock, what Willie did was at JUCO.  So it again got over looked.  The bat even at corner OF was so good in his first year of proball that he should have been in the top 40 for sure in my eyes.  People are failing to realize that baseball everywhere is becoming more and more competitive.  Hence D2 players making splahes in the minors and Korean players being impact big leaguers. 

Either way there's no way the top prospect lists miss him mid season with what he's been doing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Is Fantrax free? One of my leagues used them for a couple years and I loved it, but if memory serves correctly, they started charging, which is why we moved on to ESPN.

It is free.  They do have an upgraded version that you would have to pay for that has more bells and whistles but we run a dynasty Otteneu style league on the site using the free version and it's perfect.  We even had a situation where a owner started a guy that he was not allowed to start (our league rules - DL time hadn't made it to 30 days) and, as commisioner, I went in to the guy's team, went back to the day he started the ineligible player, and then moved him from the lineup.  Standings update in real time as well so you don't have to wait until the next day to see what's happening (Roto league).  Updated UI is clean too.  I swear, I don't work for Fantrax haha - Just that big of a fan.