FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

Damn Willie has cooled off considerably... I figured I'd complain about it in here in hopes that would heat him up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrMartyBarrett said:

All quiet for a while, and then....

HR yesterday.  HR today. 

Another one today.... He's heating up.

1 hour ago, smarmy said:

2 more HRs last night. 

Get hot Willie

• Like 1

This was just in the BA Chat:

Steve (Frederick, MD): Willie Calhoun has a lot of power for a small guy. What's his projection for the majors and when does he get there?
Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Really difficult for anyone not in the organization to project when a guy gets to the majors, so I’m not going to do that. I think, realistically, he could be a double-digit homer guy. His compact zone might make it tough for pitchers to get inside on him, but i’m not sure he’ll be more than an average or tick above hitter.

I really think Vincent needs to check out this thread and report back!

doesn't BA value classic type guys. you know the guys who have the tools and look like a ballplayer. rather than the island of misfit toys type of guys. it doesn't surprise me that BA isn't as high on Calhoun as others.

Willie with two more homeruns this afternoon. Got to love that combination of power + elite contact ability. Really think this guy is going to be something special at the MLB level.

Edited by Krayon

Chalk up another multi-HR game for Willie.  This guy is just getting started.  The bat will be MLB ready next year.

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Willie is like a mini version of the Frank Thomas. Can we can call

him the Small Hurt? 

He seems a little chubby to stick at second. 

• Like 2

Heard from a scout that the defense isn't just bad, it's abysmal. His batting success is cool, but this is one of the cases where defense really is relevant, because it may legitimately prevent him from getting a real MLB shot.

Best of luck to him for any improvements, cause he still absolutely needs to make them.

And the problem with Willie is that he's not really a DH (trade) or 1B profile at his height.

4 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Heard from a scout that the defense isn't just bad, it's abysmal. His batting success is cool, but this is one of the cases where defense really is relevant, because it may legitimately prevent him from getting a real MLB shot.

Best of luck to him for any improvements, cause he still absolutely needs to make them.

And the problem with Willie is that he's not really a DH (trade) or 1B profile at his height.

I kinda got the impression even before this season that he was going to be a "hide in LF, bat first LF" kinda deal.  Not the first LF w below average arm, raw speed.

With his optimistic ceiling being Rickie Weeks w/o above average speed. Since Weeks was always bat first 2B with terrible defense that teams put up with..

Edited by Slatykamora

3 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

I kinda got the impression even before this season that he was going to be a "hide in LF, bat first LF" kinda deal.  Not the first LF w below average arm, raw speed.

With his optimistic ceiling being Rickie Weeks w/o above average speed. Since Weeks was always bat first 2B with terrible defense that teams put up with..

Scout I talked to doesn't think he can even play in left field. Weird situation here. Bat is MLB ready but defense isn't close.

I'd be interested in what JenksDodger has to say about Calhoun's defense. I know he keeps a close eye on the Drillers. Jenks?

• Like 1

I'll start off saying that, IMO, his defense isn't near as bad as everyone makes it seem.. and I've seen some improvement throughout the season.. Obviously there are some things the eye can't see, that the defensive metrics can tell you, but he seems to make the majority of plays he should make.. His range isn't the best and he doesn't have the quickest of feet.. but he can be solid with more work (which I've heard that he has an outstanding work ethic). I think he can be a below-average 2B in the big leagues and see starting time there, given how impressive his bat has been. He's probably better suited for LF, but he's won't be absolutely awful like Marcus Semien was for the A's last year at SS. 

• Like 3

Another bomb tonight... This guy has been red hot over his last 38 games.

Seriously this guy is going to be a special fantasy player.  Get in on him before his bat puts him high up on prospect lists come offseason updates.

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Another bomb tonight... This guy has been red hot over his last 38 games.

Seriously this guy is going to be a special fantasy player.  Get in on him before his bat puts him high up on prospect lists come offseason updates.

His defense, as Fawkes has pointed out, might prevent him from ever being a top 25 prospect on a top 100 list. AJ Reed was usually a player in the 30-50 range, I don't expect to see Calhoun better than that on most traditional lists.  From a fantasy perspective, he's a top 25 guy for me next year.

10 minutes ago, JJ954 said:

He STILL isnt in ESPN's database! Come on

ESPN rarely puts people into the database randomly. There's a dump at one point before the new season starts and then if somehow they missed a guy and he gets called up.

It's definitely the worst thing about the ESPN platform. 2 seasons ago I wanted to draft Mookie Betts to my Dynasty League and couldn't. Didn't have enough FAAB when he came up and had to trade for him.

• Like 1

This is from the BA chat from just a few hours ago.. He basically just re-iterated what I posted the other day.. 

Rob (New York): How bad is Calhoun at second? Bad enough that he won't play there in the majors?
Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: I’ve been told he’s OK there, he’s average at best, but the best part is that he’s embraced playing second. He wants to do it, and that’s half the battle sometimes.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-5/#pOCzCQszaTeHBqxl.99