FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

IMO, that guy has really has no credibility if he thinks average is even close.

Know that it is wishful thinking in this thread because there are a ton of willie owners.

He might improve enough to get a chance at 2b even if below average, cause his bat really is great. But the BA think about defense is a poor opinion, based off my source, and based off everything else I've seen and read.

Showed it to my source and his reaction was this:

rasheed-wallace-laugh.jpg

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

ESPN rarely puts people into the database randomly. There's a dump at one point before the new season starts and then if somehow they missed a guy and he gets called up.

It's definitely the worst thing about the ESPN platform. 2 seasons ago I wanted to draft Mookie Betts to my Dynasty League and couldn't. Didn't have enough FAAB when he came up and had to trade for him.

But you got him. That's all that matters.

3 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

that guy has really has no credibility if he thinks average is even close.

What are you basing this off of? Someone else's opinion or your own? 

5 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

What are you basing this off of? Someone else's opinion or your own? 

Can't give details, but have a scouting friend that has seen a ton of willie calhoun. I have seen some too.

Not trying to **** on your post, btw. It is relevant information that somebody thinks he is average. Good for his market value too. Just not a believer.

No offense to you, no offense to willie. Worth posting it though so honestly thanks for that. Who knows, maybe he does get there.

I'm not a willie hater, I'm a dodgers fan. Would love it if he gets there.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

1 minute ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Can't give much details, but have a scouting friend that has seen a ton of willie calhoun. I have seen some too.

Fair enough, but just because someone has a different viewpoint of you or your "source" doesn't mean they have "no credibility". People are going to view players differently and that's what makes this fun. 

You can chalk me up as having 0 credibility as I think he's been playing average defense lately and has improved throughout the year. 

1 minute ago, JenksDodger said:

Fair enough, but just because someone has a different viewpoint of you or your "source" doesn't mean they have "no credibility". People are going to view players differently and that's what makes this fun. 

You can chalk me up as having 0 credibility as I think he's been playing average defense lately and has improved throughout the year. 

Fair enough, didn't mean to be rude. Different opinions are good.

RW won't let me go back and edit but I don't think you have zero credibility fwiw, you post good stuff here Jenks. Disagree on this one but NBD. Honestly would be happy if I am wrong in the end.

Figure I would share some positive fantasy opinion re his defense. His arm strength is weak, so that actually means the OF is likely completely out of the question. 2b or bust and if he keeps swinging and improving defensively then he's putting himself in a good spot.

Obv for fantasy 2b is way better than OF.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

4 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

RW won't let me go back and edit but I don't think you have zero credibility fwiw, you post good stuff here Jenks. Disagree on this one but NBD. Honestly would be happy if I am wrong in the end.

Don't worry about it brother, discussion is good to have! That's what makes this forum great, is seeing all the different viewpoints.. We are all wrong at some point and it won't be the first or the last time either one of us are wrong on something :D

• Like 1

Ended the season on a cold note.

Fantasy wise I think this guy is a top 25-30 prospect honestly.  Glove though has questions, he's likely going to end up in LF.  Hopefully he doesn't but it isn't looking super likely that he's going to hold 2B down.  But The Dodgers are giving him the opportunity so this is a big offseason for Willie to improve his defense if he wants to play infield at the big league level. 

Looking at his year long numbers

560 PA with an 11.6% K rate... that's pretty elite for a power hitter

.242 BABIP and a .254  average.  Pretty sure he got really unlucky this year too.  Who has an 11.6% k rate and only hits 254?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Looking at his year long numbers

560 PA with an 11.6% K rate... that's pretty elite for a power hitter

.242 BABIP and a .254  average.  Pretty sure he got really unlucky this year too.  Who has an 11.6% k rate and only hits 254?

He had a 13.4% Pop up rate.. A combined 25% K/Pop up is still really really good.  (League average K/Pop Up is 28.2% in his AA league, and he combined that with well above average power)

But he's probably gonna always gonna have below average BABIP's with as a lefty with pop up + pull tendencies....  Which is still more than fine with his elite bat speed/contact skills and power. The bat still stud status.. I'd just slow the roll on the really unlucky part of his stat line.

• Like 4

On 9/10/2016 at 7:47 AM, FouLLine said:

Ended the season on a cold note.

Fantasy wise I think this guy is a top 25-30 prospect honestly.  Glove though has questions, he's likely going to end up in LF.  Hopefully he doesn't but it isn't looking super likely that he's going to hold 2B down.  But The Dodgers are giving him the opportunity so this is a big offseason for Willie to improve his defense if he wants to play infield at the big league level. 

Don't think it is likely he ends up in OF due to his arm strength, or rather, lack thereof.

To put that k% in perspective... that's only 65 strikeouts in 132 games!!

I get the BABIP discussion and the fact that his batting average may not have actually been thaaaat unlucky. However, keep in mind the aggressive assignment to AA this season and his age. For a guy that went deep 27 times, that k% is outrageously exciting. 

I had no idea who Calhoun was at this time last season so props to this thread for opening my eyes. I am stoked to have him and have full faith his bat will get him everyday AB's in the Majors. Slam dunk top-50 prospect at the moment for me, possible top-25 as others have stated and I probably buy into that aggressive ranking.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PPolanco said:

To put that k% in perspective... that's only 65 strikeouts in 132 games!!

I get the BABIP discussion and the fact that his batting average may not have actually been thaaaat unlucky. However, keep in mind the aggressive assignment to AA this season and his age. For a guy that went deep 27 times, that k% is outrageously exciting. 

I had no idea who Calhoun was at this time last season so props to this thread for opening my eyes. I am stoked to have him and have full faith his bat will get him everyday AB's in the Majors. Slam dunk top-50 prospect at the moment for me, possible top-25 as others have stated and I probably buy into that aggressive ranking.

I really hope he can hack it at 2b, only concern for me.  

On 10/8/2016 at 0:40 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I really hope he can hack it at 2b, only concern for me.  

I just hope he can hack it anywhere, because his bat will play anywhere. 2b would be nice, but I wouldn't be too disappointed even if he got traded and was DH only

A bump as I'm an owner and want to get the hype train started again. Looking at his numbers last year, he was really darn impressive. Put up a .256/.318/.469 line with 27 HRs and 53 total XBHs in a 132 games. He did that while posting just a .242 BAPIP which feels low despite his pop ups and a but of a pull heavy nature (50.1% Pull according to MLBfarm.com). He shows amazing contact skills with just an 11.6 K% rate, while also showing a good approach by walking at an 8% clip. It was all good for a 123 wRC+. Looking at his batted ball data on MLBfarm.com, he hit a bunch more groundballs than I would have thought (42%). Good news is he hits a bunch of line drives too (19.83%) but I would like to see him lift the ball more for sure (23.88% Flyball). Other interesting thing to note is that he struggled against Lefties in AA which he never has previous. He put up a .219/.299/.276 line with just 1 HR against Lefties in 2016. It's confusing because he was really good against lefties in every stop in 2015, small sample sizes I know, but it has me curious what is real. His bat overall looks close to being ready for the majors, but further development is needed and I can't wait to see what he does in the PCL.

The question is where does he play defensively and can he be adequate anywhere. The Dodgers continue to trot him out at 2nd where I've heard everything from he's atrocious to he could be passable, especially with a bat like his. Unfortunately defensive metrics in MiLB are few, and all I can go off is 39 errors in 206 games at 2B. His 2.1 Fangraphs Spd rating last year doesn't suggest he will have a lot of range no matter where he plays. Maybe he can play 2nd, maybe he will have to shift to LF (hasn't played there yet), or maybe he needs a trade to an AL team. Articles I've read on him this offseason have suggested that defence has been his priority. Work Ethic has been praised throughout his minor league career and I'm hopeful that will help him get to being passable at 2nd as he would be a huge fantasy prospect if he can stick there. To me, he's a top 25ish fantasy prospect and I'm on the hype train.

On 9/12/2016 at 9:38 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Don't think it is likely he ends up in OF due to his arm strength, or rather, lack thereof.

LF ... Juan Pierre who I can throw as hard as with my off hand played LF for years.  Arm strength is nice but a good bat is far more important than a good arm in the OF at any OF position especially LF the OF spot that requires the least arm strength. 

• Like 1

If he's a LF, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers traded him this year. They still have a glut of talent in the minors and a glut of OFers.

Maybe he's a piece in a Verlander deal. An AL team would be wiser to take him than an NL one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he's a LF, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers traded him this year. They still have a glut of talent in the minors and a glut of OFers.

Maybe he's a piece in a Verlander deal. An AL team would be wiser to take him than an NL one.

Yeah we will see this year will be huge in his development. 

• Like 1

Jenks, I'm curious. Did the Texas League employ the shift against this guy? If so, was it effective? maybe a correlation to last years slump . . .?

Watching young pull guys like Pederson and Lamb (contact issues aside)  knock the s*** out of the ball -- 38-40% hard hit and struggling to bat .250 -- I've become a reluctant believer in the shift's utility. Love Willie's stat line but I'm disinclined to own guys who seem like obvious targets.

44 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

Jenks, I'm curious. Did the Texas League employ the shift against this guy? If so, was it effective? maybe a correlation to last years slump . . .?

Watching young pull guys like Pederson and Lamb (contact issues aside)  knock the s*** out of the ball -- 38-40% hard hit and struggling to bat .250 -- I've become a reluctant believer in the shift's utility. Love Willie's stat line but I'm disinclined to own guys who seem like obvious targets.

While his power is almost all pull-side, I'm not sure his pull tendency on grounders is too horrible.

rw8dHM6.jpg

• Like 2