FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

20 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

While his power is almost all pull-side, I'm not sure his pull tendency on grounders is too horrible.

rw8dHM6.jpg

Its more those red dots that will hurt

• Like 3

On 10/8/2016 at 9:40 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I really hope he can hack it at 2b, only concern for me.  

I'd be surprised if he sticks at 2B. 

by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com
(March 22, 2017 1:38 PM EDT) Calhoun was sent to the minors Tuesday, the Orange County Register reports.

Calhoun spent the early stages of spring training working on his defense and conditioning in an effort to have those aspects of his game catch up with his strong hit tool. Once the 22-year-old got into game action, he flashed the hitting prowess that has him pegged as a future 20-plus homer second baseman (.360 with a homer and five RBI in 25 at-bats). He will likely start he year with Triple-A Oklahoma City after hitting 27 dingers with Double-A Tulsa in 2016.

• Like 2

OPSed .945 in about 26 spring training PAs.  Sent down to the minors last week, where he's expected to continue to develop defensively.  Hopefully the glove can catch  up wit the bat.

• Like 1

Anyone heard anything regarding his defense or seen him play this year? Off to a solid start. I feel confident he will hit in the majors and therefore will find a spot somewhere just may take a trade to an AL team at the deadline for him to get an opportunity.

Edited by Letitbe793
Mistype

On 5/4/2017 at 10:40 PM, Letitbe793 said:

Anyone heard anything regarding his defense or seen him play this year? Off to a solid start. I feel confident he will hit in the majors and therefore will find a spot somewhere just may take a trade to an AL team at the deadline for him to get an opportunity.

Well the good thing is I haven't heard anything negative about his glove thus far.  

Willie has really heated up at the plate his last 7 games.

He's been scorching lately, I could see the dodgers getting desperate enough from injuries to call him up this summer. Probably September though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's been scorching lately, I could see the dodgers getting desperate enough from injuries to call him up this summer. Probably September though.

I agree. I don't see any room for him currently. Likely scenarios are either September call up or a trade to the AL this summer.

18 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

He continues to draw more walks.  5 in his last 4 games and 6 walks in his last 6 games.

More extra base hits than strikeouts.  

Forsythe just came off the DL and has missed most of the year, Utley has hit recently and Taylor has been a nice surprise. Dodgers aren't desperate sadly. Could go a lot of ways with him in terms of playing time this year.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Forsythe just came off the DL and has missed most of the year, Utley has hit recently and Taylor has been a nice surprise. Dodgers aren't desperate sadly. Could go a lot of ways with him in terms of playing time this year.

Could they still be looking to make a trade with a current outfielder to make room? Puig, Ethier, Joc?

28 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Could they still be looking to make a trade with a current outfielder to make room? Puig, Ethier, Joc?

Before I were to even think about that, I dont necessarily see how that makes room. I dont think Calhoun has played any OF this year. 

22 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Before I were to even think about that, I dont necessarily see how that makes room. I dont think Calhoun has played any OF this year. 

This is a stretch, but maybe they could move Chris Taylor from 3b/2B utility role to 4th OF and call up Calhoun to be utility 3B/2B/1B? 

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

This is a stretch, but maybe they could move Chris Taylor from 3b/2B utility role to 4th OF and call up Calhoun to be utility 3B/2B/1B? 

Teams dont like to call up top prospects to be a bench bat. The way Taylor is hitting now, it doesn't even make the team that much better to call up Calhoun. 

Joc will be back at some point, perhaps Ethier too.  I just dont see a clear path to PT for Calhoun minus a lot of injuries. I still like his value as a hitter long term, but I wouldnt be counting on him for a 2017  fantasy impact.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Teams dont like to call up top prospects to be a bench bat. The way Taylor is hitting now, it doesn't even make the team that much better to call up Calhoun. 

Joc will be back at some point, perhaps Ethier too.  I just dont see a clear path to PT for Calhoun minus a lot of injuries. I still like his value as a hitter long term, but I wouldnt be counting on him for a 2017  fantasy impact.

I agree with you on the prospect call up point. But what I am saying is you could use him sort of like the Cubs use Beaz, throwing him all over the field giving guys rest days. Taylor would be an upgrade over what they have in the OF. Joc has been terrible and Puig just ok. Im no fan of Ethier so I assume anything is better than him. 

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I agree with you on the prospect call up point. But what I am saying is you could use him sort of like the Cubs use Beaz, throwing him all over the field giving guys rest days. Taylor would be an upgrade over what they have in the OF. Joc has been terrible and Puig just ok. Im no fan of Ethier so I assume anything is better than him. 

I think youre under estimating how bad Calhoun is at defense. We're hoping that Calhoun is a blow average 2b instead of an awful one. He's too short for 1b, has played like 0 time at 3b and OF this season, and for an awful defender, I'm not sure how he can be a super utility rule. 

11 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think youre under estimating how bad Calhoun is at defense. We're hoping that Calhoun is a blow average 2b instead of an awful one. He's too short for 1b, has played like 0 time at 3b and OF this season, and for an awful defender, I'm not sure how he can be a super utility rule. 

Like I said at the beginning, "this is a stretch, but"

He's been playing left field these past few games. I'm not sure if it's a permanent switch and they've given up on him defensively at 2B or this is a play to fit him on the big league roster, but either way it's a situation worth monitoring.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-angeles-dodgers-willie-calhoun-delivers-homer-prediction-victory/c-235295454/t-185364810

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He's been playing left field these past few games. I'm not sure if it's a permanent switch and they've given up on him defensively at 2B or this is a play to fit him on the big league roster, but either way it's a situation worth monitoring.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-angeles-dodgers-willie-calhoun-delivers-homer-prediction-victory/c-235295454/t-185364810

very interesting.