FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

6 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

He's been playing left field these past few games. I'm not sure if it's a permanent switch and they've given up on him defensively at 2B or this is a play to fit him on the big league roster, but either way it's a situation worth monitoring.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-angeles-dodgers-willie-calhoun-delivers-homer-prediction-victory/c-235295454/t-185364810

I'm just hoping it's more cause they think he'll be ready in the OF this season so they can get his bat in that MLB lineup!!  But ultimately it's not exactly a good sign as we want him to stick at 2B.

2 for 4 with a bomb and a walk yesterday.  Dude has 31 extra base hits to 28 K's right now in AAA.

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If only he could play some defense 

6 games in the OF now ... 47 games at 2B.  Was at 2B last night, DH the game before, and LF the game before that.

2 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

6 games in the OF now ... 47 games at 2B.  Was at 2B last night, DH the game before, and LF the game before that.

He's not playing good defense at any of those except dh. And even then...

I just don't know what the plan is. We all agree he can hit and nobody knows when or where he plays or has any idea.

I could see him getting moved to the AL at the deadline in a Vogelbach type deal possibly, but that's just baseless speculation on my part about his defense.

I seen he only has 3 errors all season so far. Is that bad?

12 hours ago, unwine10 said:

I seen he only has 3 errors all season so far. Is that bad?

No it's fine. And his fielding% .983 is okay too after steady improvement at every level. His range factor is bad at 3.83, but maybe okay? One MLB 2B has an RF/9 lower this year: Danny Espinosa at 3.82 per Baseball Reference (#50).

He comps Brandon Drury's .982 FP and 3.88 RF/9. Not having seen Calhoun field the available numbers look bad, but not as dismal as years past. Other teams are fielding promising sticks with similar limitations.

Chase Utley is miles better for October pressure, even when he has to use his walker in the cold weather. I hope the OF reps are prepping Calhoun as a more versatile bench bat down the stretch, but that 2B is still in the long term picture.

If the Dodgers have an interest for Quintana he'd be a perfect piece to send over and we could finally see him break in as an AL regular .

Him and moncada in the top half of that order would project some very high upside production.  

On 6/17/2017 at 2:46 PM, brockpapersizer said:

.274 ISO with an 11% K rate in AAA this year. That is fantastic. 

\Willie's bat is no doubt ready to make a showing in the MLB.  He's just gotta keep working on the glove.

20th HR today. Slugging almost 600 in AAA. It's the PCL, but still very impressive. He's dominated at almost every place he's ever played. I wonder if he's going to get traded to the AL soon enough.

• Like 2

On the year he's posting a .310/.360/.590 line with 20 HRs and 3 SBs in 87 games. He's got more extra base hits than K's on the year with 48 and 45 respectively. This has led to a gaudy .280 ISO with just a 12.4 K% which is pretty much unheard of. His 7.4 BB% isn't great but it's not too bad and shows he can take a pitch and find the right one for him. All of this has led Willie Calhoun (22 years old) to a 136 wRC+ which is tied for 9th in the PCL with Derek Fisher of the Astros. Calhoun can really hit and he looks to be ready for a new challenge soon. If only he could play some defence! Has anyone heard anything more on his transition to LF? I see no errors in 10 games, 9 of which were starts in LF.

• Like 3

Really hoping for a trade to a team with a clear path to playing time in the next week and a half. 

11 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Really hoping for a trade to a team with a clear path to playing time in the next week and a half. 

As long as it's not a place like Oakland or the other LA with their monster stadiums, I'm okay with that.

Detroit is a possibility, word is LAD asked about JDM.

• Like 1

I truly believe if this guy is going to end up as a fantasy star it's going to have to be via the Edgar Martinez route.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, Dark One said:

I truly believe if this guy is going to end up as a fantasy star it's going to have to be via the Edgar Martinez route.

He's certainly on the squad in September and even if he's playing OF he should carry over his 2B eligibility.  I'm right there with you on this.

30 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

He's certainly on the squad in September and even if he's playing OF he should carry over his 2B eligibility.  I'm right there with you on this.

for one month of irregular playing time?

I think he's getting traded before the deadline.

On 7/18/2017 at 5:40 PM, Dark One said:

Take steroids but have everyone pretend you didn't? :lol:

I've never seen him play only read about him but it's a shame his fielding is that bad. Keep in mind a guy like Wade Boggs was a horrible defender but worked at it hard enough to become serviceable then eventually a gold glover.

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Take steroids but have everyone pretend you didn't? :lol:

I've never seen him play only read about him but it's a shame his fielding is that bad. Keep in mind a guy like Wade Boggs was a horrible defender but worked at it hard enough to become serviceable then eventually a gold glover.

What hard evidence is there to say Edgar juiced?

Also not to discredit how far Boggs came as a fielder cause he is known to have improved dramatically throghout his career.  Just keep in mind that gold gloves should be taken with a grain of salt.  As Gold Gloves generally awarded the most popular top defender rather than the actual best defender for that given season... That's why so many players end their career with 5+ gold gloves some players with 10+.

Edited by FouLLine

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

for one month of irregular playing time?

I think he's getting traded before the deadline.

That would be even better for Willie ... But worst case scenario September with LAD could still offer some very sneaky value for our boy.

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

but worked at it hard enough to become serviceable then eventually a gold glover.

working hard at something at least