FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

working hard at something at least

Get that hand eye coordination dialed in.

• Like 3

Just now, FouLLine said:

That would be even better for Willie ... But worst case scenario September with LAD could still offer some very sneaky value for our boy.

If he stays in LA I'm not sure he gets called up in Sept. If he does, he probably barely plays and loses 2b for next year. 

1 hour ago, Letitbe793 said:

Would love to see a trade to TEX with some other prospects for Darvish. 

+1 but they have enough DH types.  Napoli is only signed until the end of the year, and while he 'could' replace him for next year, I don't suspect the Rangers will give Calhoun the job without seeing him in significant action and ABs.  Probably not relevant for the ROS.

Edited by BigPapi44

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

What hard evidence is there to say Edgar juiced?

Also not to discredit how far Boggs came as a fielder cause he is known to have improved dramatically throghout his career.  Just keep in mind that gold gloves should be taken with a grain of salt.  As Gold Gloves generally awarded the most popular top defender rather than the actual best defender for that given season... That's why so many players end their career with 5+ gold gloves some players with 10+.

There is no hard evidence. I just think it's foolish to think a guy is clean who gained a bunch weight and experienced a big power and performance spike at age 32 during the steroid era when PED use was rampant. Just find it weird people push him as a non-user so hard, seems foolish.

But as for Boggs I know the gold glove caviot, but he really did drastically improve as a defender, he had 5 errors in 127 games, long way from his 20+ error seasons.

52 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

There is no hard evidence. I just think it's foolish to think a guy is clean who gained a bunch weight and experienced a big power and performance spike at age 32 during the steroid era when PED use was rampant. Just find it weird people push him as a non-user so hard, seems foolish.

You can believe what you want on that front, but my comparison was strictly made in terms of how I see Calhoun's best chance at becoming a fantasy star. I don't see him drastically improving as a defender (just my opinion).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

You can believe what you want on that front, but my comparison was strictly made in terms of how I see Calhoun's best chance at becoming a fantasy star. I don't see him drastically improving as a defender (just my opinion).

Oh I totally get it, I was just making a quick joke...

Unfortunately if he goes to Detroit (Verlander) he likely won't get DH opportunity this year unless there is injury. However, Texas (Darvish) would be a fantastic fit. 

• Like 1

I know some people in really deep redrafts probably care about this season, but as a dynasty owner, I just don't care about his production this year. He legit might not make the majors this season and I'm fine with it. Very little time left and hes a rookie.  Not sure how you can confidently project him into a fantasy run this year regardless.

21 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Unfortunately if he goes to Detroit (Verlander) he likely won't get DH opportunity this year unless there is injury. However, Texas (Darvish) would be a fantastic fit. 

Yeah, Calhoun has spent some time at LF this year, I suppose it's always a possibility a team starved for offense could try sticking him there (a bit like Schwarber) for at least a while before going the full time DH route. At least an AL team has the DH option available, giving Calhoun a much safer floor.

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

But as for Boggs I know the gold glove caviot, but he really did drastically improve as a defender, he had 5 errors in 127 games, long way from his 20+ error seasons.

Yeah but I wouldn't call an 11 HR increase a huge power spike.  Edgar only broke 30 HRs one time in his career.  He hit 37 at age 37.  Otherwise it was a lot of 28 and 29 HR seasons.  Well within the realm of possible.  Many players find their power stroke in their 30's.  It isn't unheard of.

Let's also remember that Edgar Martinez was a late bloomer.  He didn't play every day until age 27.  

Also at 32 is when Edgar started to become pretty much a full time DH.  Which could have had a lot to do with him perfecting his craft as a hitter.  Let's point out that The Kingdom was astro turf imagine having to dive for a ball 2+ times a game on that, that's going to wear on your body.  Put dings on you that when DHing you just won't have.

I just think that with all the investigation on the matter that has taken place.  If a guy's name didn't come up I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by FouLLine
  • Like 1

So scanning the PCL leaderboard. Willie Calhoun is 3rd in slugging at .592, the 2 guys in front of him Oswaldo Arcia and Garrett Cooper have almost 100 less AB. He's 2nd in the PCL in HRs with 23. 

On 7/24/2017 at 9:08 PM, FouLLine said:

Yeah but I wouldn't call an 11 HR increase a huge power spike.  Edgar only broke 30 HRs one time in his career.  He hit 37 at age 37.  Otherwise it was a lot of 28 and 29 HR seasons.  Well within the realm of possible.  Many players find their power stroke in their 30's.  It isn't unheard of.

Let's also remember that Edgar Martinez was a late bloomer.  He didn't play every day until age 27.  

Also at 32 is when Edgar started to become pretty much a full time DH.  Which could have had a lot to do with him perfecting his craft as a hitter.  Let's point out that The Kingdom was astro turf imagine having to dive for a ball 2+ times a game on that, that's going to wear on your body.  Put dings on you that when DHing you just won't have.

I just think that with all the investigation on the matter that has taken place.  If a guy's name didn't come up I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

The power surge I was referring to is from age 27-31 he averaged 18 HR per 162 with .471 SLG, .164 ISO... age 32-38 he averaged 32 HR per 162 with .574 SLG, .245 ISO... also visibly much larger. This in the middle of the steroid era. 

I get where you are coming from with the last part, but if that's the case then Jeff Bagwell better get the same treatment of being totally clean and never used. (IMO he's not clean either and he was one of my favorites).

But to get back on topic... I would be nice for this kid's glove to come around, can't stick him at first with his lack of height... maybe he is the next great DH but it's going to require a trade. It's too bad because the Dodgers could use him at 2B. Maybe the deal for Forsythe was knowing Calhoun just doesn't have the glove making him the prefect trade chip for the NL team.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 2

surely he'll stay down this season.. won't get they gain an extra year of control, plus possible arbitration time if they leave him down until next season?

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Any way he actually gets called up right away lol

Scoop NOW if you want him. Let the dust settle and go from there.

Texas is going to want to try to find a defensive position for him, they aren't going to call him up to DH right away.  Don't think they are interested in a 23 year old DH that can't play any other position until they know he can't play the field.

Edited by heyeaglefn

Just now, heyeaglefn said:

Texas is going to want to try to find a defensive position for him, they aren't going to call him up to DH right away.

Why not? They acquired him for his bat.

Just now, StevieStats said:

Why not? They acquired him for his bat.

Yes, they did, but how do you know they don't think they can fix his defensive problems?  They are almost out of the playoff race, just traded their ace, it's hard for me to believe they call him up and lose one year of control because they just want his bat on the MLB club.