FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

Just now, StevieStats said:

Why not? They acquired him for his bat.

Could see them wanting the extra control at this point and at least try him as a fielder to start his career.  

• Like 1

I'd love to see him up, but it doesn't make sense for the rangers to do so. 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Could see them wanting the extra control at this point and at least try him as a fielder to start his career.  

That's basically what I am saying.  Why completely give up on him and say he is only a DH at this point, plus give up a year of control.  He isn't going to learn defense in the MLB level, he needs to learn that in the minors.  Give him 4-5 months in the minors and they should know what they have with him.

With Odor locked in at 2B, he's likely only going to play LF.  I guess they could try him at 3B or 1B, but I can't see a 5'8 player at either corner infield position though.

Just now, heyeaglefn said:

That's basically what I am saying.  Why completely give up on him and say he is only a DH at this point, plus give up a year of control.  He isn't going to learn defense in the MLB level, he needs to learn that in the minors.  Give him 4-5 months in the minors and they should know what they have with him.

But you think he will magically learn defense in 2 months now that the Rangers have him? Problems like that will be addressed in winter ball.

Getting him exposure to major league pitching without overwhelming him with defense (that he struggles with) has it's benefits too.

Correct me if I am wrong but being a September call up will not lose a year of control, will it?

But you think he will magically learn defense in 2 months now that the Rangers have him? Problems like that will be addressed in winter ball.

Getting him exposure to major league pitching without overwhelming him with defense (that he struggles with) has it's benefits too.

Correct me if I am wrong but being a September call up will not lose a year of control, will it?

pushes back how much they have to keep him down for to get extra control next year. Unless he's just up and then yes, they lose more control than if they waited 2 weeks or after Super 2.   (i forget the specifics)

It depends if they add him to the 40 man roster I believe.  September call up isn't out of the question unless they want to keep him off the 40 man roster because they have other guys to protect.  I am not a Rangers expert, but that is what the Phillies are doing with Kingery.

No matter what, this is the best case for those holding in a dynasty/keeper league, I just don't see any value in redraft this year.

Probably doesn't come up right away.  Now if/when we see a Choo injury...

19 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Everything  I have read is he is a brutal fielder, so if they called him up could he even play in the OF?

That's why we're all so excited. He is a terrible defender so this opens up the door for him to DH. Dodgers moved him from 2B to the OF and pretty sure he sucked there too.

Just now, SwayzeExpress said:

That's why we're all so excited. He is a terrible defender so this opens up the door for him to DH. Dodgers moved him from 2B to the OF and pretty sure he sucked there too.

I know, but people claiming he might be called up early because of an OF injury are pretty much ignoring that.  I think it makes zero sense to call him up to DH at the MLB level and not work on the OF.

Edited by heyeaglefn

1 minute ago, heyeaglefn said:

I know, but people claiming he might be called up early because of an OF injury are pretty much ignoring that.  I think it makes zero sense to call him up to DH at the MLB level and not work on the OF.

A Choo injury would be an injury to their primary DH.  That's who is most likely blocking Calhoun now.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ragrag said:

A Choo injury would be an injury to their primary DH.  That's who is most likely blocking Calhoun now.   

i kind of agree with this statement... choo has appeared in 49 games in RF and 44 at DH.

he's more regularly an outfielder, barely, but your point is still valid: an injury might open up an opportunity.

So Mets calling up Rosario. 

I get the "starting the clock" concerns, but you have to start it at some point and if the Rangers want to play out if the gate next year allowing him to get exposure this year can pay big dividends going into the offseason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

So Mets calling up Rosario. 

I get the "starting the clock" concerns, but you have to start it at some point and if the Rangers want to play out if the gate next year allowing him to get exposure this year can pay big dividends going into the offseason.

I just don't think it makes sense, so that is probably why the Mets did it. Rosario can field his position, something Calhoun can't do.

Guys, I've all of the above, but what I don't think really being mentioned is that he should legitimately see enough starts/appearances on a yearly basis to qualify for OF.  He doesn't need to play any position full-time, just enough to qualify beyond DH/Util to have added fantasy value.  Just my two cents.

To piggyback off what @BigPapi44 said.  With Odor on the Rangers, I doubt Willie Calhoun comes up and plays 2b this year. Meaning if he did come up, there's a really high chance he'd lose 2b for next year. If he's down this year, at least next year we get 1 year of 2b eligibility. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

To piggyback off what @BigPapi44 said.  With Odor on the Rangers, I doubt Willie Calhoun comes up and plays 2b this year. Meaning if he did come up, there's a really high chance he'd lose 2b for next year. If he's down this year, at least next year we get 1 year of 2b eligibility. 

I'm with you.  I do fear there may be some 'appease the fan base' mentality that will take over.  They've just traded their stud SP for what most 'fans' will think is not a very strong return.  It will be an interesting August-September for Calhoun owners.  Agree 100% with BPS though, it would far more valuable for his status to remain 2B for those in keeper/dynasty leagues.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

In all seriousness, when was the last time a player started his career primarily playing DH? 

Not sure, even Good ole Billy "Country Breakfast" Butler was a 50/50 1B/DH ....

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

In all seriousness, when was the last time a player started his career primarily playing DH? 

None really come to mind. Calhoun just has such a unique profile. A lot of power but really small and unathletic (by MLB standards of course). I tend to agree with you and Papi. Prob get a year of 2B eligibility next year (Sano had SS eligibility for his rookie season that was tight) and get OF eligibility from then on

2 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

None really come to mind. Calhoun just has such a unique profile. A lot of power but really small and unathletic (by MLB standards of course). I tend to agree with you and Papi. Prob get a year of 2B eligibility next year (Sano had SS eligibility for his rookie season that was tight) and get OF eligibility from then on

Sano has 3B as well.

The biggest problem with Willie is his bat is much more advanced than his glove.

13 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

What's special about his bat is his contact rate. He doesn't strike out. He struck out less than 12% in all of AA and AAA.  The power is above average and nice too.