Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodgerblues

Which SEA catcher has the most offensive potential?

Johjima? Clement?

nope...

Travis Scott.

-----

Scott is currently repeating the CA League (A+) to work some more on his catching, but I envision him taking over Luis Oliveros's job in West Tenn (AA) fairly soon. For those who aren't familiar with Scott, he was a relatively unknown prospect coming into the draft in 2005. He was selected by Seattle in the 20th round out of Lincoln Land College. Still, he is only 22 years old now and still has a lot of room to grow. What he did his first professional season:

2006 (Wisconsin, A): 38 games, 132 AB's, .242 BA, 278 OBP, .333 SLG, 8 2B, 2 3B, 0 HR, 20 RBI, 37 K, 5 BB.

Add to this the fact that he played poor defense, and the future seemed very bleak for Scott.

But then, at 21 years old, he made tremendous strides last year.

2007 (High Desert, A+): 62 games, 214 AB's, .276 BA, .372 OBP, .505 SLG, 6 2B, 2 3B, 13 HR, 48 RBI, 48 K, 33 BB.

His defense improved, but still was below average, so he also played 9 games at 1B. Most telling, however, about his 2007 season is the improvements he made in his power numbers over the second half of the season. Look at the dramatic jump in extra-base hits:

April, May, June (80 AB's): 1 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR

July, August, Sept (125 AB's): 5 2B, 2 3B, 11 HR

Most interestingly, however, is that his BABIP was considerably lower in the second half (.258) than it was in the first half (.370) which tells us that he didn't really discover his power until halfway through the season and that his power numbers should improve quite a bit more.

As for this season, he's already started off hot with the bat. In his first game, he went 1-3 with an 8th inning solo-HR and walked twice with no K's. In his second game, he went 3-5 with another HR and 3 RBI's with no walks and one K. He still has A LOT to prove before he's mentioned with the two other top catchers in the organization, but based on the improvements he's made in a short period of time, he could end up with a higher ceiling.

Good post, though i've honestly never heard of the guy.

Good post, though i've honestly never heard of the guy.

codename, most people haven't. he's made his strides very recently and comes from complete obscurity. my guess is that he'll continue to make improvements at High Desert and make the jump to West Tenn by August. At that point he could start to make it into some radars. My guess is that by 2010 he's considered one of the top offensive catchers in the minors.

update...

6 games, 22 AB's: .409 BA, .519 OBP, .773 SLG, 1.291 OPS, 2 HR, 1 3B, 6 RBI, 5 BB, 4 K

update...

6 games, 22 AB's: .409 BA, .519 OBP, .773 SLG, 1.291 OPS, 2 HR, 1 3B, 6 RBI, 5 BB, 4 K

Love the avatar.... Might have to take a look at this guy. How do you like him compared to Teagarden? I have him on my dynasty team in the minors behind Pierzinski.

Love the avatar.... Might have to take a look at this guy. How do you like him compared to Teagarden? I have him on my dynasty team in the minors behind Pierzinski.

Right now Teagarden is definitely above Scott. Scott has impressed me quite a bit but that's mostly because he's come out of nowhere. Teagarden is the better prospect right now, but if Scott continues to improve at the rate he has since halfway through 2007, he might not be too far behind. Also to be considered, however, is that Scott's defense isn't as great right now although it is improving. They are both in interesting situations though as they're sitting behind Salty and Clement, respectively.

update:

47 AB's, .404 BA, .481 OBP, .660 SLG, 1.141 OPS, 3 HR's, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 SB, 13 RBI's

6 BB/7 K