Sign in to follow this  
NYR Fan 116894

Cal Quantrill - P SD

Interesting name to watch here. Son of former reliever Paul Quantrill. Was drafted by the Yankees back in 2013 in the 26th round, but didn't sign and went to Stanford instead. Cal Quantrill stands at 6'3 and 185 lbs according to BA.

Cal, a junior now, underwent TJS back in March of 2015. Prior to undergoing the surgery, scouts and evaluators alike thought he could be in the 1:1 conversation in 2016.

Listen to Nick Faleris at the 9:45 mark talk about Quantrill and the impressive profile that he brings to the table:

http://natsgm.com/category/the-mlb-draft/

Via Yahoo:

His plan hasn't changed one bit: Quantrill intends to pitch again for Stanford later this season and be drafted in June. He believes his velocity might even be higher once he returns. Scouts are still projecting the junior to be a first-rounder, even if they won't be able to fully evaluate Quantrill until he's back pitching games in April or May. His positive personality is a major plus.

Not that Quantrill's future professional career is all that's fueling him at this stage. He can't wait to help Stanford again, especially in Mark Marquess' 40th season coaching at his alma mater. Quantrill's father has helped him realize the importance of taking each step and keeping everything in perspective.

Now, Quantrill blows into his right hand on a breezy winter day at Sunken Diamond, then starts unleashing throws from about 80 feet - not as hard as he can yet, but that's OK, that day will come soon enough.

He sits in the dugout surrounded by teammates, hands folded and resting on his knees as he listens to Marquess. Quantrill comes straight to the practice field from an afternoon class and jumps into tarp duty with gusto along with any other jobs needed to prepare the diamond.

Everybody is optimistic he will be ready to pitch before season's end.

''Cal's doing great. Right on schedule, but too slow for his liking,'' said Paul Quantrill, who finished his big league pitching career in 2005 after 14 seasons. ''He'll follow doctor's orders and be good as new.''

Very interested to see where the stuff is when he makes his way back as well as where he'll be drafted in June. When Faleris said in the podcast, "There's a case to be made for Quantrill to be the top arm overall in this class," that certainly got my attention.

Some video of Quantrill:

NYR Fan where do you think he is in comparison to Connor Jones? From what I hear they are both 1-1 material with Quantrill being more MLB ready. Yet Connor is getting the Tanaka comparisons

• Like 1

NYR Fan where do you think he is in comparison to Connor Jones? From what I hear they are both 1-1 material with Quantrill being more MLB ready. Yet Connor is getting the Tanaka comparisons

I think Jones is really polished in his own right to be honest. Delivery is very fine tuned. Both seem to have that pitchability factor.

I get the feeling that Quantrill has a higher ceiling, but that's if the stuff that he had pre-TJS comes all the way back. TJS complicates this. I'd rank Jones ahead right now because of that. He has a cleaner bill of health. I'm thinking Jones is getting the Tanaka comp due to the split finger he's got. Jones' FB also has good movement.

Also, just read this on Quantrill:

Mike (South Jersey): How is Cal Quantrill's recovery from TJ surgery coming along ? You have him at #29. Will he pitch enough to climb higher before the draft ?

Hudson Belinsky: There are a lot of rumors circulating about Cal Quantrill. It seems unlikely that he’ll pitch in games before the draft, though it is possible. He will likely throw bullpens for teams as the draft gets close. If we’re thinking long-term, it makes more sense for him to follow a normal routine and not rush back before his body is ready.

• Like 1

Pitched really well at Low-A last year. 1.93 ERA with 28 K, 2 BB in 5 starts then hit hard in two starts at high-A. 

Can we change the thread and give the Pads their due, as a Pads and Cal fan, I request we ace the Stanford from this title...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mitchell_McDi said:

25th ranked prospect in fangraphs top 100. I would imagine he will move quickly, maybe spring 2018 he'll be going for a rotation spot?

With their pitching staff, assuming he continues to show progress, I have to think he is up at the end of this year and a lock for the 18 rotation.

1 minute ago, parrothead said:

With their pitching staff, assuming he continues to show progress, I have to think he is up at the end of this year and a lock for the 18 rotation.

I honestly find it hard to believe he is worse than some of the arms they have at the moment, but some time in the minors for seasoning would be great

6 minutes ago, Mitchell_McDi said:

I honestly find it hard to believe he is worse than some of the arms they have at the moment, but some time in the minors for seasoning would be great

He is not worse..I mean cmon their pitching staff is straight out of the scene from Major league "wish we had em 3 years ago"...or "who are these F'ing guys?"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parrothead said:

He is not worse..I mean cmon their pitching staff is straight out of the scene from Major league "wish we had em 3 years ago"...or "who are these F'ing guys?"

Just be patient. CAL QUANTRILL IS ON HIS WAY! :D

• Like 1

Would be curious what guys think about Quantrill after about half a season now at high-A.

3.69 ERA with a 65/21 K/BB in 61 IP and a 1.38 WHIP

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Would be curious what guys think about Quantrill after about half a season now at high-A.

As someone who owned Quantrill up until about a week ago, I can explain why I moved him. He was supposed to be advanced quick mover with some of the best stuff in his draft and that's why he went to high even with the TJS issue. I don't have the pitch data to prove it, but watching him it's like all of his stuff has taken a step back. Nothings breaks as crisply, pitches aren't moving as much and as expected after TJS, the control is not so great. I still think he's a very likely candidate to spend a decade in a rotation, but as far as being a top of the rotation guy, I'm not sure that stuff is there anymore.

• Like 1

Quantrill is getting promoted to AA San Antonio along with 1st Baseman and fellow countryman Josh Naylor. Quantrill has posted a 3.67 ERA and 1.38 WHIP with 76 strikeouts and 24 walks over 73 2/3 innings this season in the hitter-friendly California League. He ranks sixth among qualified pitchers in three categories: ERA, FIP (3.77) and strikeout rate (24.1 percent).

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/san-diego-padres-promote-cal-quantrill-to-double-a-san-antonio/c-241695572/t-185364810

On 6/19/2017 at 9:39 AM, JFS179 said:

First full season after TJ, so some adjustment period is expected.  Cal League is obviously hitter friendly as well.  Padres probably shut him down after another 8-10 starts in San Antonio, then Cal should start fresh there next April.  If he makes the leap, he could be in SD by the end of 2018.  

With Ryan Weathers taken yesterday and MacKenzie Gore taken early last year, where does Cal fit into the future plans of the Padres? I know his year hasn't been what people hoped or expected it to be, but I just don't know what to make of him. 

1 minute ago, jcmerolling said:

With Ryan Weathers taken yesterday and MacKenzie Gore taken early last year, where does Cal fit into the future plans of the Padres? I know his year hasn't been what people hoped or expected it to be, but I just don't know what to make of him. 

Weathers and Gore have zero impact on the Padres plans for Quantrill.  He was outstanding in his last start (7 shutout IP, 10 Ks, 1 BB) and Weathers is 3-4 years away, at the least.  
If Quantrill continues to look good, he'll be up in Aug/Sept. 

• Like 1

Quantrill has been shoving it the last month. His ceiling isn't ace level or anything, but he can be an excellent mid-rotation fantasy guy.

13 minutes ago, jcmerolling said:

cant tell if serious

how does an 18 yr old pitcher who is at least 4 years away affect a guy who will be in the bigs this year/next

also I heard some teams trying this crazy thing called a 5 man rotation

Obviously I know he's not going to be overtaken by Weathers or even Gore right away. I look at the combination of underwhelming stuff as well as perceived need elsewhere in the farm system and question why they draft another arm in the top 10 when they could grab somebody else. 

His ceiling 2 years ago when he was drafted was pretty high and it just doesn't seem that way anymore. 

18 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Quantrill has been shoving it the last month. His ceiling isn't ace level or anything, but he can be an excellent mid-rotation fantasy guy.

Not sure what your definition of "shoving it" is since he put up a 5.85 ERA and 1.70 WHIP in May.  I finally got so fed up with him that I dropped him in my NL-only - even if he does get the call later in the year I think he's going to get demolished.  His last start was one of the few flashes of dominance he's shown at all in his minor league career - very disappointing prospect.

23 hours ago, jcmerolling said:

Obviously I know he's not going to be overtaken by Weathers or even Gore right away. I look at the combination of underwhelming stuff as well as perceived need elsewhere in the farm system and question why they draft another arm in the top 10 when they could grab somebody else. 

His ceiling 2 years ago when he was drafted was pretty high and it just doesn't seem that way anymore. 

you draft the best player available, or the one with the most flexibility, you don't draft in the MLB for need.  Weathers numbers were disgusting and a lefty who is 18 throwing 95 with a pedigree is an easy grab