Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bhawks489

Community Mock Thread 2016 Three point oh.

Is that central or eastern?

ET. Just finished...want to jump on a couple more?

going rb heavy continues to payoff in standard

I'm getting teams like:

DJ

Hyde

ARob

Moncrief

Ertz

CJ

Matthews

Gore

I'm down for some just let me know which ones you jump in

That seems early to draft TE and ertz? You think he'll have a good year?

I'm down for some just let me know which ones you jump in

That seems early to draft TE and ertz? You think he'll have a good year?

it's not in order of round

but yes, I think he's a good bet. spotty qb play isn't all bad for a high volume guy over the middle. Delanie's been riding that train for years.

Last time I mocked on FFC, they hadn't updated rookies properly.

Loving gios adp. A little bit of a headache but could easily have the better season of the two if hill is slow again

Agree. Gio was by far the best back last season, he just won't ever be the heavy between the tackles racking up TDs.

And should the unthinkable befall Hill.....gotta start him

It's not a mock, but if anyone is up for it, bhawks489 and I are doing a $20 Draft Masters auction league at RT Sports, scheduled for 11:00pm EDT tonight.

Well, come join... Still four open slots, last I looked.

Go to the Draft Lobby and it will be the top one on the list... Draft Masters... 11:00pm EDT... called "anyone wanna Auction".

Full now. Those last three went fast.

You can join the $20 snake Draft Masters tomorrow though, "Rotoworld Friends League" at 8:00pm EDT on Sunday.

Ok, I treated this $20 Draft Masters league more as a mock--in that I tried out a different strategy this time--and bhawks489 was in it too (being kind of a thorn in my side, to boot), making it "community" relevant--so I'm going to discuss it here. (Sorry you missed it, boltup15!)

I am not usually a big fan of the strategy of buying a few studs and then filling out the rest of the team with scrubs in a Draft Masters league. I think that having quality depth to cover dud games, bye weeks, and potential injuries is more important than having a few great players, when there are no trades or waivers allowed. Still, there seems to be SO MANY decent QBs, RBs and TEs available at minimal cost this season that I wondered what kind of a team I could field behind three of the best PPR WRs in the league.

I went into the draft expecting to target Julio Jones, Allen Robinson and Keenan Allen as my top WRs, spending about $110 on the three of them, based on previous auction results at RT Sports. But when I saw the clock running out on Antonio Brown at $52 right off the bat, I couldn't just sit by and let him go for that--I was at least going to enforce what I had seen him cost before ($60, $62 and $64 in three previous auctions)--and I ended up taking him home for $53. Well, that's a win, I guess. I expected to pay about $50 for Julio Jones ($44, $51 and $52 previously), so having Antonio Brown for about the same price was a bonus.

But then friggin' Bhawks489 had to go and drive up the price of Allen Robinson to $37, so I let him have the guy for that--because I really hadn't wanted to go over $35 for the WR2. I had already let Jordy Nelson go by for $33, so I'm thinking maybe A.J. Green, who has gone for $30 twice before. But no, Green gets jacked up higher than Robinson and sells for $41! Well heck, at that rate, I might as well just go for Julio Jones--and I did, for another $50.

So now I'm a good $18 or so over budget, and then Keenan Allen--who I didn't expect to pay more than $30 for--cost me another $35! I'm thinking I've probably pushed it a little too far now, spending $138 on three WRs--I'm $28 over the plan! It din't help that Bhawks threw out Matthew Stafford way early, too, but I landed him for only $5, so it didn't hurt too much.

They cost me dearly, but man, those three WRs are far and away the best PPR WRs in the league! Brown and Jones each had 136 receptions, and Allen was on pace for 134 receptions through the 8 games he played last year. Nobody else had more than 111 receptions, and only 7 other receivers had over 90. My 3 WRs are probably going to get close to 125 more points than any other team's top 3, just on receptions alone!

Part of my master plan was to add two of last year's top 10 PPR RBs (in points per game)--Dion Lewis and Danny Woodhead--fairly cheaply, but when Dion Lewis was bid up to $28 (immediately after I paid $35 for Keenan Allen), I had to abandon THAT plan as well. And the very NEXT nomination was Danny Woodhead--I WAS able to land him, but it cost me more than I had hoped--$17.

So now I have five players, and I've spent $160, leaving $40 for the remaining 15 players, or a max bid of just $26. Time to sit and wait.

Ryan Tannehill comes up (I think that was Bhawks' nomination too), and I think I'm bidding $2 on him, but I got in just behind another $2 bid and ended up bidding $3 on him. Fortunately, Bhawks saves me from that folly, and takes him off my hands for $4. Maybe he was hoping I would plop down $5. If so, HA! Oh, did I mention that Bhawks' team name is "AxeIsGoingDDDDOWN"? Yeah. He had motives. I tried to get Tavon Austin for $2 too, but Bhawks went $3 and I wasn't going $4.

It hurt a little to watch Larry Fitzgerald sold for $8, DeVante Parker for $6 and Donte Moncrief for $5, but I really couldn't spend much more on WRs to backup my Holy Trinity, so I had to let them go. Even Golden Tate went for only $15, the cheapest I have seen him sold to date ($21 and $30 were the prices I was used to seeing)--but I just couldn't take advantage of the deals and still hope to land a couple of viable RBs with my $26 max bid.

Since I was probably going to have to throw a dart or two with my RB corps, I was thinking I might be able to land Arian Foster for a dollar or two late in the draft, and hope he catches on with Miami, but he was nominated fairly early and got bid up to $5, so I couldn't very well best that on a speculative player. I let pass several other RBs that went just a dollar or two more than I was willing to top as well--Duke Johnson for $10, Jonathan Stewart for $8, Justin Forsett for $6, Ameer Abdullah for $6--and now the RB pool was getting critically low, and I'm still sitting there with just Danny Woodhead.

Jason Witten gets nominated, and I'm able to take him home for just $2, so that's a good start on the TEs, of which I'm hoping to get 2 more. And I just couldn't let Allen Hurns go for $5, so I spent $6 on him too. Hey, two of my big 3 have a Week 11 bye (Keenan Allen and Julio Jones) so I can't have COMPLETE garbage on the bench. But now I'm down to a $20 max bid.

I celebrated prematurely when I THOUGHT the clock had run out on me owning Rashad Jennings for $2. Apparently, my computer and/or internet connection had conspired against me, though, and someone else had bid $3 on him, unbeknownst to me, until I realized that he hadn't been added to my team. That was the worst moment of the draft, when one of my biggest RB targets was taken from me--and the worst part was that I ended the draft with $4 left over; I COULD have made one more bid on Jennings! (I don't know if that would have been enough to discourage the other owner, but I would have tried, had I not been glitched.)

Kirk Cousins gets nominated by a team down to a $1 max bid; I take him for $2 when no one else wants him. I'm down to a $19 max bid, and still just Danny Woodhead. I pass on TJ Yeldon for $7, Charles Sims for $6 and Javorius Allen for $1.

Then Frank Gore hits the block. It's now or never. At this point I'm willing to go even higher, but I was pretty pleased to own him for $7. I'm down to a $13 max bid.

Bhawks starts throwing out my TEs. He starts with Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the next round. I go $2, he goes $3, I take him home for $4. The next round it's Eric Ebron. I check the remaining pool; if I don't buy Ebron, I'm probably going to have Jared Cook as my third TE--so I go $2, he goes $3 again, and I hate him immensely as I have to go $4 for Ebron--but I prevail and land another target.

I'm thinking I probably don't need my usual complement of 6 WRs in this league; given my top 3, I should be good to go with only 5. That will leave me an extra dart to throw at a 6th RB, where I usually only take 5. I was thinking maybe Breshad Perriman for my WR5, but when one of the teams down to a $1 max bid nominates Corey Coleman, that sounds like a pretty good idea. He offers a lot of upside (and a unique bye week) for just $2--and fortunately, nobody else wants him. Now I'm down to a $6 max bid, and I still have just two RBs--Woodhead and Gore. I'm doomed, right?

Well, the pieces fell into place as well as I could have hoped. Instead of using my own nominations to bait others into spending money, I started using my nominations to get the Ks and Ds that I wanted--and fortunately, nobody topped any of my $1 bids for any of the four (Lions and Texans Kickers; Jaguars and Raiders Defenses). I snipe Isaiah Crowell for $2 when he's nominated, which takes me down to a $5 max bid--and I never got any lower than that, scooping up a couple of Darrens (Sproles and McFadden) for $1 each in the closing stages. And then, with my final pick (no other active owner had a max bid over $1 by now), I threw my RB dart--at Marshawn Lynch--just because he is such a wild card and still hasn't signed his retirement papers.

So I'm left with $4 on the table, with which I would have gladly welcomed Rashad Jennings to the fold if my computer had let me--but other than that little disappointment, it was darn near a perfect draft in terms of the "stud WR" strategy I was trying.

QB: Matthew Stafford 10 ($5), Kirk Cousins 9 ($2)

RB: Danny Woodhead 11 ($17), Frank Gore 10 ($7), Isaiah Crowell 13 ($2), Darren Sproles 4 ($1), Darren McFadden 7 ($1), Marshawn Lynch 5 ($1)

WR: Antonio Brown 8 ($53), Julio Jones 11 ($50), Keenan Allen 11 ($35), Allen Hurns 5 ($6), Corey Coleman 13 ($2)

TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins 6 ($4), Eric Ebron 10 ($4), Jason Witten 7 ($2)

Team K: Detroit Lions 10 ($1), Houston Texans 9 ($1)

Team D/ST: Jacksonville Jaguars 5 ($1), Oakland Raiders 10 ($1)

Remaining: $4

Yeah, my RBs are suspect, to be sure, but considering that Danny Woodhead was the #3 overall PPR RB last season, and Gore was #14 even with a crappy O-line and no Luck, I kind of like my underdog chances. Sproles should still be ok in PPR scoring, especially playing behind a guy who always seems to get hurt (Ryan Mathews), and if Ezekiel Elliot isn't the wunderkind that most seem to expect him to be, then McFadden steps in to a role that made him the #13 overall PPR RB last season. And if Lynch DOES come back--if not to Seattle, maybe to Miami or Philly or New England--fuhgeddaboudit.

I am well pleased.

I think it's safe to say you got fleeced at RB.

Why Hurns over Moncrief who could possibly start for you if he reaches his ceiling?

Yea, i wanted to irritate you just a little bit. but man, your WRs could probably carry that team into cashing

QB: Tannehill, Osweiler, Bortles

RB: Ingram, L. Miller, D. Martin, D. Henry, R. Hillman, CJ Prorise

WR: A. Robinson, S. Watkins, D. Baldwin, J. Matthews, T. Austin

TE: Z. Miller, A. Gates

Team K: Pittsburgh, Jacksonville

Team D/ST: Texans, Bills

I dont know how I feel about my team. I think its ok.

I tried to grab middle of the pack guys to round out depth. Auto-nominated Hillman at the end and was stuck with him.

Yeah, your nomination strategy could use some work.

For the first several rounds, you were just nominating the top player on the list. I thought maybe you din't even know HOW to nominate, and it was just autonominating for you, but then I saw you weren't using the entire nomination clock, so you had to be doing it manually. And then after that you started nominating a lot of guys you knew I wanted, so THAT was a good idea on your part (not so much for me, but hey, it worked out).

I usually tend to use my first 13 nominations or so on guys that I think someone will overpay for--guys with more hype than substance--guys that I don't want. At round 15 or so I start nominating my Ks and Ds, because at that point you could accidentally nominate someone you don't want and end up getting stuck with him, like you did with Hillman. Assuming you have a little money left at that point, you can round out your roster by just picking off the guys you DO want for $2 when someone else nominates them.