A side from the SB wins, why would you say that Brady is better then Manning? And aside for Manning being better staticially why would you say hes better then Brady? I just want to hear a healthy debate without people fighting. Carry on.

Manning has a better sense of humor.

Brady is the quintessential company man.

Manning was surely better than Brady during the first part of Brady's career (Pre 2007) despite Brady's Superbowl wins during that time.

During Brady's breakout year and afterwords (2007 on) they were closer, but I'd still rather take Peyton up until the second half of 2014.

• Like 1

This will likely get moved to another section of the forum. That being said I view Manning as the best to have done it in the current era. Comparing different eras is always tricky, but Manning revolutionized the game and the way an offense is run. Brady is amazing in his own right. Brady is a chameleon that can adapt to nearly any scheme and succeed. But the study of tape and how Manning ran his offense is something that will likely never be replicated. A true genius.

Comparing SB wins is not as relevant because it is a team sport. Brady played with arguably the best coach in the last 20-30 years and on much better teams for most of his career. Belichick is a true genius as well. If you haven't watched the Football Life: 1995 Browns you should watch it. That Browns team was on its way to winning a SB before the owner moved it to Baltimore and won in Baltimore with a bunch of the same staff and players (minus Belichick). But Belichick put that Browns/Baltimore team together and the foundation to Ozzie Newsome's success.

People can label Manning as the best regular season QB if they want, but he is the best I've ever watched play regardless of the outcome.

• Like 1

This is for a school project I just want to study more before I write about the two. How true is it that Brady has had better weapons than Manning? There is also some of the other guys think it was actually Manning having better weapons.

This is for a school project I just want to study more before I write about the two. How true is it that Brady has had better weapons than Manning? There is also some of the other guys think it was actually Manning having better weapons.

They have both had great players on offense with them during various stints of their careers. Supporting cast on defense and special teams is a different story.

Start here, read forward:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=507132&p=6212238

Also, when considering "Weapons" how much of an advantage is having Bill Belichick as your head coach? How much better is he than say...Jim Caldwell.

I have to say, this is the most clever way anyone has ever gotten me to do their homework for them.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My argument from that thread Iron-Cock linked to...

I agree with the stats that Manning was better in that early era. Keep in mind though that Brady took time to develop into what he is today. He was a 6th round pick and third string QB at one point. It's a credit to him that he had the career he did, because there's a clear difference in what he was in 2001 to what he was in his prime. Overall the career stats look like this...

Brady: 58,028 yards, 428 TDs, 150 INTs in 15 seasons
Manning: 71,940 yards, 539 TDs, 251 INTs in 17 seasons

Averaged out that equals per season
Brady: 3,868 yards, 28.5 TDs, 10 INTs
Manning: 4,231 yards, 31.7 TDs, 14.7 INTs

Manning is +393 yards per season, +3.2 TDs per season, +4.7 INTs per season.

Statistically, Manning has averaged more yards and slightly more TDs than Brady in his career. He also played in perfect conditions in that Dome the majority of his career while Brady played in the Northeast, outdoors, in the elements. Brady has also thrown a lot fewer interceptions, which is part of Manning's legacy, especially in the playoffs.

Overall, if you want to say Manning put up the best stats in his era, fine. But I'm sorry, Super Bowls matter when comparing great QBs, especially when you're talking about two of the top 5 or 6 QBs of all time. It's why most people will rank Marino lower than Montana. Championships matter. It's why we remember Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, Bill Russell, Montana, Bradshaw, etc. To me, if the stats are close, the deciding factor is championships.

I agree with the stats that Manning was better in that early era. Keep in mind though that Brady took time to develop into what he is today. He was a 6th round pick and third string QB at one point. It's a credit to him that he had the career he did, because there's a clear difference in what he was in 2001 to what he was in his prime. Overall the career stats look like this...

Statistically, Manning has averaged more yards and slightly more TDs than Brady in his career. He also played in perfect conditions in that Dome the majority of his career while Brady played in the Northeast, outdoors, in the elements. Brady has also thrown a lot fewer interceptions, which is part of Manning's legacy, especially in the playoffs.

Overall, if you want to say Manning put up the best stats in his era, fine. But I'm sorry, Super Bowls matter when comparing great QBs, especially when you're talking about two of the top 5 or 6 QBs of all time. It's why most people will rank Marino lower than Montana. Championships matter. It's why we remember Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, Bill Russell, Montana, Bradshaw, etc. To me, if the stats are close, the deciding factor is championships.

Unless you are Terry Bradshaw. He gets shamed for playing with other great players. I attribute most of it to people thinking he is a dumb hick. He was one of the few QBs calling his own plays during his era. You mention Bradshaw, but he is left off just about everyone's list of great QBs.

Edited by devaster

this is about as close i feel like i would get to this comparison as well. I like both players a good bit, but i feel like Brady's playoff success Numbers coupled with his SB's put him over the top. Both great players.

All that above & Everytime Brady plays i feel like his team is going to win the game…..every…..dang……time.

Never felt that way with Peyton. Just my opinion

• Like 1

Super Bowls matter when comparing great QBs, especially when you're talking about two of the top 5 or 6 QBs of all time.

Most analysis of Peyton's final season has concluded that he was carried to a superbowl by a great defense. If we accept this as true, then we must consider that Brady's first 3 superbowls were mostly won by the defense and head coach.

In addition, we have to consider the fact that when the Patriots switched to relying on Brady they've choked on multiple occasions. They choked against the Giants twice in the superbowl, and in the playoffs against the Jets in 2010. The Patriots as a team lead by Brady's passing would have to be considered a failure, outside of the fact that Pete Carroll was such a moron he didn't run Marshawn Lynch at the goal line.

Contrast that with Peyton Manning, who carried his teams every single year from his sophomore season until mid 2014. His Colts team that won the superbowl had the worst defense that's won a superbowl ever.

Peyton is clearly the better QB, the scouts knew it when the players were coming out of college and it's still true with Peyton's career over. Brady was just blessed to land with Belichick.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

Barring injury,Brady's still got another year or two or 3 as the the QB of a team that will be Super Bowl favorites to pile on stats and possibly championships.

I've got Brady now, but when it's all said and done, I think most will have him.

Iron Cock, your obsessive hatred of the Pats makes you the least qualified person on the board to weigh in on this.

Edited by dmb3684
  • Like 1

Barring injury,Brady's still got another year or two or 3 as the the QB of a team that will be Super Bowl favorites to pile on stats and possibly championships.

I've got Brady now, but when it's all said and done, I think most will have him.

Iron Cock, your obsessive hatred of the Pats makes you the least qualified person on the board to weigh in on this.

To be fair, a lot of people are infected with the hatred. My case is more mild but there still lingers a burning desire to see Pats miss the playoffs.

Look up Brady's stats from the Panthers Super Bowl win and tell me again it was led by defense? We've been over this. The first win over the Rams was absolutely not because of Brady. He was a game manager. But he was night and day better in 2003 and 2004 when they went back to back. 2014...you can blame it on Carroll, fine. But what about the circus catch Kearse had to make to even get them in that position? Brady was amazing in that game. Heck, even in the 2007 loss to the Giants he hit Moss for the go ahead TD and the defense couldnt hold Eli. Similar game in 2011 when Manningham made the sideline catch.

Peyton Manning had nothing to do with the Broncos win this past season...in fact, he did everything possible to potentially lose the game for Denver. His other two losses, he was dominated by Seattle and threw a game ending pick 6 against the Saints. And in his first win over Rex Grossman and the Bears, the Colts relied on their defense with Bob Sanders and Freeney to get them over the hump.

Said it once and I'll say it again....Manning is the best regular season QB of all time. Brady is the best QB...period.

If championships and playoff success don't matter when comparing QBs of similar statistical success, then you could easily argue that Drew Brees is better than Tom Brady.

• Like 1

And actually, to Iron-Cock's point, if Brady had a better head coach and better defense, wouldn't that mean FEWER chances to throw? How many games has Brady played where they just had to salt away the clock because it was a blowout? How many games has Manning played like the one he had at Dallas as a Denver Bronco where it was a track meet? The argument can be looked at either way. Manning had over 9,000 attempts in his career and Brady is current sitting at 7,792. Give Brady those 1,000 extra attempts and then let's compare stats.

It's not true at all. Manning has always had Pro Bowl players to throw to, from Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark to DT, Sanders and Decker.

Brady's top targets were Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Givens early on his career, then Randy Moss, Welker, Gronk, Edelman more recently. It really wasn't until 2007, the year after the Patriots made the AFC Championship Game with Reche Caldwell as their top WR, that New England started to surround Brady with more dynamic weapons.

Ryan Clark who actually played and prepared against both of them numerous times said on First Take if he had a game to win he would go with Brady and its not even close or something you even think about. Clark thought preparing for Brady was much harder. Said something along the lines of Manning was basically a smart game manager who got his team into the right play but "didnt do alot". Clark said he was nervous playing against Brady and that he knew exactly what the Steelers were doing on nearly every play. Manning also had 5x the offensive talent that Brady did so thats why I think he put up better numbers. Brady did however have the better defense until Manning went to DEN which probably helped him get more SB and wins. People keep bringing up Bradys coach as if Manning didn't have a HOF coach in Dungy as well. What does it for me is Manning has a 3-5 TD/INT ratio and a 77.4 passer rating in 4 super bowls. Brady has a 13-4 TD/INT ratio and a 95.3 passer rating in 6 super bowls. Throughout his career Manning has always seemed to underperform when it was a big game compared to Tom who thrived when the pressure was on.

In terms of who each had on offense throughout their careers:

Edgerrin James- borderline HOF runningback, fastest & youngest player to 12,000 yards from scrimmage, 11th all time leading rusher

Marvin Harrison- 3rd all time career reception, 5th all time career receiving TD, 7th all time receiving yards (should be in the HOF)

Reggie Wayne- 7th all time reception leader , 8th all time receiving yards

Dallas Clark- Great TE for a short period of time but got killed by injuries

Demaryius Thomas- Stud so far

Eric Decker- Stud so far

Wes Welker for 1 great year then got hurt

Julius Thomas - Stud so far?

Emmanuel Sanders- Good WR

Brady's weapons -

Moss (1 year, broke nearly ever record at the time)

Gronk (6 years)

Welker (6 years)

Edelman- Former QB turned WR :wacko:

Edited by footballpimp

I'm going to give the win to Brady...but it's close.

Manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time. When he was with the Colts he carried his team to victory throughout the regular season. But once in the playoffs, defense usually determines who advances and the Colts defenses were poor.

Brady also carried his team but not to the extent as Manning. But the tandem of QB + coach was/is the best ever and that's why they won the most SBs.

Manning was at the top of his game (mentally) after coming to Denver but his body couldn't complete the season. A mediocre O line resulted in to many hits and by the time of playoffs he was done. Last year doesn't count, he was reduced to play manager after returning.

In the end, you have to count the rings and that means Brady.

Edited by morris_sean

Super Bowls matter when comparing great QBs, especially when you're talking about two of the top 5 or 6 QBs of all time.

Most analysis of Peyton's final season has concluded that he was carried to a superbowl by a great defense. If we accept this as true, then we must consider that Brady's first 3 superbowls were mostly won by the defense and head coach.

Not true at all. Only the 2001 SB did the defense carry that team, and even then Brady led the GW drive -- which is why he was named MVP. Peyton wasn't even close to being SB MVP for last season, and for good reason.

The 2003 SB, Carolina lit up NE's defense, and Brady had to lead them to 30+ points to win. Not a great defensive effort there. The 2004 SB was a similar story (but not as extreme).

Peyton has had far superior offensive weapons at his disposal + being in a dome for most of his career, yet Brady has twice as many rings.

The biggest arguments for Peyton would be his regular season superiority (records, 5 vs 2 league MVPs), and his 3-2 H2H playoff record against Brady. But Brady has twice as many rings and three times as many SB MVPs. Plus Brady's career isn't finished yet.

Not true at all. Only the 2001 SB did the defense carry that team, and even then Brady led the GW drive -- which is why he was named MVP. Peyton wasn't even close to being SB MVP for last season, and for good reason.

The 2003 SB, Carolina lit up NE's defense, and Brady had to lead them to 30+ points to win. Not a great defensive effort there. The 2004 SB was a similar story (but not as extreme).

Peyton has had far superior offensive weapons at his disposal + being in a dome for most of his career, yet Brady has twice as many rings.

The biggest arguments for Peyton would be his regular season superiority (records, 5 vs 2 league MVPs), and his 3-2 H2H playoff record against Brady. But Brady has twice as many rings and three times as many SB MVPs. Plus Brady's career isn't finished yet.

You are mistaking the "Superbowl" for "The Superbowl Season". If we were just judging by who did what in the Superbowl, Phil Simms is one of the best QBs ever.

Look up Brady's stats from the Panthers Super Bowl win and tell me again it was led by defense? We've been over this. The first win over the Rams was absolutely not because of Brady. He was a game manager. But he was night and day better in 2003 and 2004 when they went back to back. 2014...you can blame it on Carroll, fine.

Here are Tom Brady's gamelogs from 2003:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/gamelog/2003/

He was not elite that year, he wasn't good in the playoffs. He had a good game in the superbowl.

Take a look at the gamelogs, four games with multiple interceptions. Two playoff games where his completion percentage was below 60%, six games where his completion percentage was below 55%. That is Tebowesque! He had a 4 int game, and a 3 int game.

Brady wasn't even close to being as good as Peyton Manning back then.

Edited by Iron-cock

Peyton Manning easily has the best stats of any QB ever there is no question about it, but how much should that matter in terms of who's better or the greatest. In 16 season Joe Montana only threw for 273TDs compared to Mannings 539TDs does that mean he is easily better than Montana? How players perform in big games and postseason matters, a lot. Same argument is used when people say Jordan is easily better than LeBron because Jordan thrived in the big games and was clutch.

Edited by footballpimp