13 hours ago, footballpimp said:

2016 average PPG per team was 22.7

1985 average PPG per team was 21.5

In each of Montana's 4 SBs, he had one of the best defenses in the league as well.

1981-#2 

1984- #1

1988-#8

1999-#3

The 1984 49ers defense is the most underrated great defense of all time. Montana never made a SB without a great defense. 

10 hours ago, Packdog said:

my homer sense is tingling. i can't help but feel rodgers is being slighted here. i ain't gonna argue him over brady, montana, or payton but from there he's in the convo. i loved me some farve and marino as they led my fave teams as well but i came to the conclusion a few years back rodgers is better than both of them were. i guess the longevity isn't there yet and sitting for those early years hurts him in accumulative stats and may always hinder him in a race with the greats but, man, does he ever pass the eye test

i truly think he is the best qb i have seen in certain aspects. he likely never will be as acclaimed as the top three but a lot of that won't be his fault (team game, sitting those years, etc.). i can say without a doubt he is the most accurate thrower of the long ball i have ever seen, even better than marino. his mobility adds a dimension that marino, farve, brady and manning didn't have and serves his great arm tremendously at times. his only blight is holding onto the ball too long as he has done that his whole career though this year with a good line it seemed to work out often as it was almost like they had plays called for wrs to scramble and get open after an eternity of time. it does kind of protect his efficiency and limit his ints, though sacks can be plentiful on him at times. i'll end my gushing here and just presume he makes the convo in a number of seasons, health permitting.

on a side note, how come the three great qbs of my teams during my lifetime are all notorious arrogant jerks? i'll just chalk it up to being a trait that drives them. you brady fans got a real boyscout who is easy to love. my father-in-law is a pilot and was recently flying with a pilot who used to fly around brady and his wife. that pilot said even with all the fame and money the two are some of the kindest people he ever flew. very respectful (refers to pilot as "sir") and always showing good manners (saying "please" and "thank you" to the crew) even when no one is looking

Another season like this from Rodgers and I'd move him ahead of Marino.  He hasn't been a starter for that long (less than a full decade so far). 

• Like 1

If Aaron Rodgers had been drafted by the Pats, they wouldn't have lost a game since 2005.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skoodog said:

If Aaron Rodgers had been drafted by the Pats, they wouldn't have lost a game since 2005.

I know that's just a lil hyperbole but...

Aaron Rodgers makes ridiculous plays that Brady could not. No other QB for that matter.

However, I'll take Brady and Manning and their pre snap reads every day of the week over the circus plays. I know Rodgers can read a defense, but Brady is on a whole other level. IMO of course

Edited by fingers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, fingers said:

I know that's just a lil hyperbole but...

Aaron Rodgers makes ridiculous plays that Brady could not. No other QB for that matter.

However, I'll take Brady and Manning and their pre snap reads every day of the week over the circus plays. I know Rodgers can read a defense, but Brady is on a whole other level. IMO of course

Rodgers has very few career 4th quarter comebacks for a QB of his stature. He's not willing to risk contested throws, which is why he has so few INTs but also why GB doesn't have many come from behind 4th quarter wins under his tenure. 

39 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Rodgers has very few career 4th quarter comebacks for a QB of his stature. He's not willing to risk contested throws, which is why he has so few INTs but also why GB doesn't have many come from behind 4th quarter wins under his tenure. 

I blame this more on 1) the universal ****tiness of the NFC North for the past ten years and 2) being coached by a guy who looks like a bag of leaves.* 

*All rights reserved, (c) 2016 kidtwentytwo

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Skoodog said:

I blame this more on 1) the universal ****tiness of the NFC North for the past ten years and 2) being coached by a guy who looks like a bag of leaves.* 

*All rights reserved, (c) 2016 kidtwentytwo

Haha.  THIS.  Especially #2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Anyone would of done this.

But NO QB has done this five times. GOAT. It's not even a debate anymore. 

imrs.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Dirtdog said:

This thread has devolved quite a bit since Brady ended the debate two years ago after SB 49

FTFY

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Most QBs measures greatness/being the best differently than those of us on the outside.

Troy Aikman said his goal was to be the greatest QB of all time.   His measuring stick was Super Bowl rings,  period.  

And man, he's still pissed at Jerry for driving Jimmy out the door.

• Like 1

Just now, 96mnc said:

Most QBs measures greatness/being the best differently than those of us on the outside.

Troy Aikman said his goal was to be the greatest QB of all time.   His measuring stick was Super Bowl rings,  period.  

And man, he's still pissed at Jerry for driving Jimmy out the door.

Inside, outside.....don't matter

Brady is the best wherever the game is

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 0:50 PM, Skoodog said:

Do you think Rodgers would have re-structured his contract as many times as Brady has so the team could remain competitive? Love Rodgers as a player, and he will likely go down as one of the best ever, but there are other things than just pure talent that make a great quarterback and leader.

• Like 1

On 2016-03-23 at 2:42 PM, devaster said:

They have both had great players on offense with them during various stints of their careers. Supporting cast on defense and special teams is a different story.

Brady didn't have HOF WR year in year out like Manning did in Indy. 

It's like this. One was supposed to great and was drafted 1st overall. The other became great. Both legends. One just stepped up when it counted more.

I am not even sure Manning is the best Colts ever, let ALONE top 3 QB of all time..

After firs 5 seasons Luck is on pace to be better than Peyton and in many ways already is...

Andrew Luck (42-27, 3-3 in playoffs)

- 19,078 passing yards
- 2651 pass attempts
- 132 touchdown
- 68 interceptions
- 14 rushing touchdown
- 12 fumbles
- 3x Pro Bowler
- Led NFL in touchdown passes in 3rd season (40)
- Most pass attempts in NFL history for a rookie (627)
- First 40 td season: third season
- First playoff appearance: rookie season
- First playoff win: second season
- First AFC title game appearance: third season

Peyton Manning (42-38, 0-3 in playoffs)

- 20,618 passing yards
- 2817 pass attempts
- 138 touchdowns
- 100 interceptions
- 9 rushing touchdown
- 6 fumbles
- 3x Pro Bowler
- Led NFL in touchdown passes in 3rd season (33)
- Led NFL in passing yards in 3rd season (4413)
- Led NFL in interceptions in rookie season (28)
- First AFC title appearance: sixth season
- First playoff appearance: second season
- First playoff win: sixth season
- First 40 td season: seventh season

Luck:

2012: 23td, 18int on 627 pass attempts
2013: 23td, 9int on 570 pass attempts
2014: 40td, 16int on 616 pass attempts
2015: 15td, 12int on 293 pass attempts (missed 9 games)
2016: 31td, 13int on 545 pass attempts

Manning: 

1998: 26td, 28int on 575 pass attempts
1999: 26td, 15int on 533 pass attempts
2000: 33td, 15int on 571 pass attempts
2001: 28td, 23int on 547 pass attempts
2002: 26td, 19int on 591 pass attempts

Edited by MariGOATA

1 hour ago, MariGOATA said:

I am not even sure Manning is the best Colts ever, let ALONE top 3 QB of all time..

Luck is on pace to be better than Peyton and in many ways already is...

tenor.gif

TL:DR

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 4

Oh this thread is filled with so many memories and Brady fanboys abound. Barday is the GOAT of Hairstyles and the role model for lLiving Ken Dolls everywhere. . . :lol:

On 2/8/2017 at 11:45 AM, awesomeace said:

In between 49ers first and last super bowls the average margin of victory was 20 points, 12 different teams took up the 28 possible spots. In between the Patriots first and last super bowls the average margin of victory was 9.5 points, 18 different teams took up the 32 possible spots. Not to mention the constant roster turn over and new teams in the playoffs every year. But yeah, let's talk about how competitive it was back then.

For me, it is a few things as I think you have to try to put the players in context. In Montana's era, the secondary play was much different and a lot more difficult so you can't just compare #'s to #'s because the rules were different. Remember that Pats/Colts playoff game where NE's cb's mugged the Colts wr's and Manning was whining that it wasn't fair and blah blah blah. And of course, he had a bad game because of it. That was much MORE of what guys like Montana had to deal with in their era. So Brady should have a distinct numbers advantage and does have one more ring. But...

Brady has also lost 2 SB's which they 'should' have won given him in his prime with Moss and co. but he didn't play well in those games. In fact, Brady isn't even in the top 10 for QB rating IN the Super Bowl while Montana...is #1!!! Montana is also 4-0! Montana was a very good reg season QB who was better in the playoffs and the best of all time in the Super Bowl and undefeated.

Brady is best in the reg season, worse in the playoffs, and had up and down performances in the Super Bowl.

I'll take Montana who IMHO was better...and did it under much more difficult circumstances!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 0:22 PM, Gohawks said:

Montana playoff record: 16-7 70% win rate

Manning playoff record: 14-13 52% win rate

Brady playoff record: 24-9 73%

Brady is the undisputed GOAT. The undefeated in the Super Bowl is one of the dumbest arguments around. I forgot losing in the Super Bowl is worse than the wild card or first round. Which Montana did 3 times in a row by the way.

In Montana's era, were db's allowed to beat up wr's all over the field? Can they now in Brady's era? Montana played in a much more difficult era to pass in. Brady's era is the easiest of all time due to all the rules changes.

Both Brady and Montana have had bad games in the regular season and in the playoffs. And you really wanna tout a SB MVP in which Brady was simply a game manager and threw for a very pedestrian 145 yds? WOW!!!

If you like your QB to be best in the regular season, take a step back in the playoffs, and have good and bad games in the Super Bowl...enjoy Brady and his 5 rings and two losses in which they were favorites!

I'll take the guy who got better at every level, is undefeated in the Super Bowl and was the best of any QB in the Super Bowl who played more than 1 game.

And if I flipped them in history, Montana would have put up better numbers in this era and Brady would have done worse.

• Like 1

TBH its a joke to compare Brady and Manning. There have been several QBs like Manning over the years, there is only one Brady. Right now Rodgers and Brees are comparable to Manning. Brady is on another level altogether. 

Last year's superbowl will go down as the best game in the NFL's history. And Brady was front and center of that epic comeback. There is really no one even comparable to Brady now. 

Edited by screaming_vultures
  • Like 2