Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Alex Bregman - SS HOU

No thread for Bregman?

He looked like trash this spring, but he's playing great in AA Corpus Christi.

Two bombs tonight for the young SS...one was a walkoff shot. Hitting .350 early on.

What will their plans be with him? He's got a decent player in front of him in the bigs who shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

What will their plans be with him? He's got a decent player in front of him in the bigs who shouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

It's a good question and will only be asked more if he keeps performing like he is. Does he move to 3B? A lineup like below looks nice...

Altuve, 2B

Springer, RF

Reed, 1B/DH

Correa, SS

Bregman, 3B

White, 1B/DH

Gomez, CF (although I doubt he will still be there)

Tucker/Rasmus, LF

Castro, C

Certainly some blockage.... But The Astros may have to move him come the trade deadline to bolster their World Series run.

I think they want to market him as a SS for now. He probably has the most value there.

He reportedly doesn't have a strong enough arm to play SS or 3B, but I don't know that I believe that. His position will be very interesting to follow, as he's not too far from being major league ready.

It's very likely that the 'Stros use him as trade bait.

He won't end up in the AL if he's traded thats for sure. He also won't be playing third base for the Astros. Reed is going to force his way onto the team so the the Astros will move White to third base to open a spot. Tucker Preston is also staking claim to a starting job. Tough but good problem to have.

He won't end up in the AL if he's traded thats for sure. He also won't be playing third base for the Astros. Reed is going to force his way onto the team so the the Astros will move White to third base to open a spot. Tucker Preston is also staking claim to a starting job. Tough but good problem to have.

I hope White can play 3B...but apparently that's a thing of the past. White hasn't played 3B in quite some time according to his player thread.

I have my doubts that White could handle 3B, being he's reportedly below average at 1B. Based on Bregman's reports it seems he may not have the chops for 3B either but I could certainly see him having the bat for LF or a very valuable utility guy in the vein of Zobrist? Love the aggressive assignment to AA for Breg, I think he would bring a serious arm for the stretch run if the stros look to deal him.

Destroying AA pitching so far: in 32 ABs 4 HR and slashing .344/.417/.719/1.135

He will force his way into the Astros lineup or someone else's via trade.

How about LF initially? I'm assuming Moran becomes the 3b and Marisnick's d keeps him in the lineup in CF.

How about LF initially? I'm assuming Moran becomes the 3b and Marisnick's d keeps him in the lineup in CF.

Most folks see him moving to 3b or Correa eventually moving to 3b if he stays with the organization. I'm of the opinion he'll eventually get moved for a pitching but he's athletic enough to play every infield and outfield position. 3b is the glaring need on the MLB club right now and OF is very full, but depends if you're talking L-T or this year and next.

Off to a hot start.....

Astros SS prospect Alex Bregman homered for the fifth time in six games Sunday in a win for Double-A Corpus Christi.

He's hit safely in all 10 games this season. Bregman has been a force of nature this year, leading the Texas League in home runs (five), RBI (13), hits (16), runs (10) and total bases (32). The 2015 first-round pick faces a tough road to the majors with superstar Carlos Correa blocking his path at shortstop, but the Astros will cross that bridge when they get to it. Sunday marked Bregman's third multi-hit game in a row and his fifth of the season.

So FG says 45-50 ceiling on this guy's power -- good bat speed but downward swing plane. Anyone watching Corpus Christi, see any suggestion that his recent HR binge is the result of some adjustment and not just a Texas League bump / statistical fart? Can't find much online.

An uppercut, if he maintaind his contact skills, would bump his power potential to 55-60 and make him elite. Giddy to find he was still available in 2 dynasty leagues. Am as interested in his ROS as any prospect not named Vladimir.

What are the chances of him being recalled sometime soon?

He has played nothing but SS at AA. He's blocked there at the major league level. So, I wouldn't think he's close to being recalled unless an injury occurs.

What are the chances of him being recalled sometime soon?

Recalled? He's never been up. And he just got back off the DL, he's most likely nowhere near a call up unless there's some injury issues.

And even if he moves to 3B, Colin Moran is in front on him in line there...

And even if he moves to 3B, Colin Moran is in front on him in line there...

No offense, but I don't really think that Moran is the type of player that would block Bregman. Two different caliber of players there.

If anything, this guy could be the DH if they feel he's ready...

Wow, I imagine a lineup of:

Altuve (2B)

Springer (RF)

Correa (SS)

Reed (1B)

Rasmus (LF)

Bregman (DH)

Gomez (CF)

Moran (3B)

Castro ©

If anything, this guy could be the DH if they feel he's ready...

Wow, I imagine a lineup of:

Altuve (2B)

Springer (RF)

Correa (SS)

Reed (1B)

Rasmus (LF)

Bregman (DH)

Gomez (CF)

Moran (3B)

Castro ©

While this would be an awesome lineup in fantasy, no way would they stick Bregman at DH in real life baseball. Bregman needs to keep getting reps at SS defensively, even if that means leaving him in the minors.

I hadn't really thought about it before yesterday,but is Bregman seriously going in end up in LF? He's obviously not playing SS or 2B and Springer comfortably has RF so that means the only thing keeping him from LF is whether the Astros like him or Colin Moran better at 3B. It seems like a tremendous loss of value for the Astros. They'd be better off dealing him for pitching.

More HR's than K's on the year. Breg could handle a role of regular utility type (I hate the generic old-Zobrist comp, but it may apply). Picking up starts at LF, SS, 3B, 2B and DH while playing daily...if they groom him that way. Or just make him your LF. Either way his bat is not far off.