Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Alex Bregman - SS HOU

Correa going into tonight, -7DRS(Defensive Runs Saved) and -6.7UZR. He keeps this up and it's going to be Correa who is moving to 3B.

Correa going into tonight, -7DRS(Defensive Runs Saved) and -6.7UZR. He keeps this up and it's going to be Correa who is moving to 3B.

Aren't defensive metrics extremely unreliable in small sample sizes? I'm truly asking, not challenging the post. Seems like I remember reading that on FG or somewhere.

Also, I've seen exactly one Astro's game this year, so I have no judgement from the eye-test.

Aren't defensive metrics extremely unreliable in small sample sizes? I'm truly asking, not challenging the post. Seems like I remember reading that on FG or somewhere.

Also, I've seen exactly one Astro's game this year, so I have no judgement from the eye-test.

To make any absolute decisions on small samples would be a mistake, but there's nothing wrong with monitoring a trend. Remember that last year Correa also sported a -6.0UZR over 870.2 innings at SS. So we have 1185 innings telling us he's below average at SS which is nearly a full year's sample.

Either way, I hope they find a way to move either Bregman or Correa to 3B. Astros would have best fantasy INF in majors with Reed/Altuve/Correa/Bregman.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/05/al-notes-astros-yankees-choo.html

There’s a chance Astros shortstop prospect Alex Bregman, the second pick in last year’s draft, will make his major league debut sometime this season. “I wouldn’t rule out him getting [to the Majors] this year, but we have to see how the rest of the season goes for him and if there’s an opening for him at the big leagues,” general manager Jeff Luhnow told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com. If the ex-LSU standout does break in with the Astros this season, it’s unlikely to come at short, where the team already has young star Carlos Correa firmly entrenched. Given Correa’s presence, the Astros had Bregman play third base for the first time Friday with their Double-A team. “I feel like I’ll be very comfortable here really soon — really, really soon,” Bregman stated. Proficiency at the hot corner from the 22-year-old Bregman would bode well for the Astros, whose third basemen have hit a weak .221/.302/.358 this season.

if he shows he cam play 3B defensively, does he get called up to Houston from AA? (ahead of Morin in AAA)

I also see this..

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-begin-to-expose-Alex-Bregman-to-third-base-7467955.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Astros' plan all along, general manager Jeff Luhnow said, was to expose Alex Bregman to multiple positions in his first full professional season. First, however, the organization wanted the touted prospect to adjust to Class AA pitching while playing his natural position of shortstop.

But with Bregman raking in his first 20 games in the Texas League, the Astros quickly became comfortable testing him with a new position. He started at third base Friday night in the first game of Corpus Christi's home doubleheader against Frisco, his first pro start at the position.

Bregman, the No. 2 overall selection in last June's draft, will continue to primarily play shortstop for the Hooks, Luhnow said. But with 21-year-old star Carlos Correa manning the position for the Astros at the major-league level, a change for Bregman has long appeared inevitable.

Luhnow declined to disclose how often the Astros plan to play Bregman at third base with Corpus Christi. It's possible third base won't be the only position the organization challenges him with. Luhnow said he thinks Bregman could also handle second base - the Astros are also set there with Jose Altuve - and the outfield.

The Astros have not ruled out the possibility Bregman reaches the major leagues later this season, especially if he continues to hit at his current rate. Despite being less than a calendar year removed from playing at LSU, Bregman has excelled against Class AA pitching in his first exposure at the level.

"He's been terrific," Luhnow said Friday in a telephone interview. "He's exceeded my expectations, which were high, for him this season, and I think he's put himself into consideration to quite frankly maybe help our club this year."

Bregman, 22, came into Friday batting .311 with a 1.076 OPS that ranked second in the league. He missed 11 games with a hamstring injury but picked up where he left off upon his return May 5.

After adding about 20 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot frame in the offseason, he has displayed much more pop this season. His seven home runs through 20 games were four more than he hit in 66 games last year with Low Class A Quad Cities and Class A Lancaster.

The Astros prefer their position-player prospects face Class AAA pitching before they are promoted to the major leagues but there is precedent for skipping the level. Altuve and J.D. Martinez were each called up to the major leagues directly from Class AA in 2011.

But before any promotions, Bregman gets to try his hand at the other position on the left side of the infield.

"Our organizational philosophy is to try and expose guys to multiple positions as early in their career as possible if it makes sense, and all along the plan was to have Alex play a few positions this year knowing that we've got a pretty good shortstop at the big-league level," Luhnow said.

"Rather than starting the season that way, I figured since he was making a pretty big jump to double A, let's let him get accustomed to that level playing the position that he's used to playing. And once he demonstrates that he's comfortable offensively and can handle the league, then that would be a good time to fold in some defensive challenges."

could be awhile?

Speaking of small sample sizes...

In 7 innings at 3B, he handled all 4 chances and produced a whopping 5.14 range factor per 9 (I want to say about 3 is decent for a 3B).

At SS over his brief MiLB career, he's averaged a 4.98 RF/9...also top rate.

Seems like Bregman can play...wherever they put him.

"The Astros are grooming Alex Bregman to take over at third base in the majors sooner rather than later. A shortstop in college, Bregman was selected second overall in last years draft, but that position is pretty clearly taken at the moment. Bregman is crushing the ball in Double-A, and while Luis Valbuena went yard yesterday, theres still plenty of room to upgrade at the hot corner. I wouldnt bet against Bregman debuting sometime in early August."

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/roto-riteup-may-16-2016/

FanGraphs also made mention in their Roto Riteup today.

Yeah...I don't think he's a redraft league stash at this point.

Yeah...I don't think he's a redraft league stash at this point.

if you are out of it in a keeper league of about 8 or under keepers then now is the time to stash. in a redraft, don't bother

Moran called up, but in the meantime Bregman continues to hit as he adjusts to playing 3B in AA.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/178592830/dansby-swanson-among-top-prospect-performers

Baseball's No. 19 prospect Alex Bregman's adjustment to third base doesn't appear to have affected his bat. Bregman (the Astros' top prospect) batted 3-for-4 with two doubles and a home run, his eighth of the year, on Monday. He drove in four runs, scored three, and drew a walk. The Astros selected Bregman No. 2 overall in last year's Draft out of LSU as a shortstop, but the 22-year-old is making the transition to third base this season. He played his first game at third as a professional on Saturday.

"I feel like I'll be very comfortable here really soon -- really, really soon," Bergman told MiLB.com.

August starting lineup?

1. Altuve- 2B

2. Springer- OF

3. Correa- SS

4. Rasmus- OF

5. Bregman- 3B

6. Reed- 1B

7. Gomez- OF

8. Gattis/White C or DH

9. Castro/Gattis/White C or DH

That looks potentially lethal

He a better long term stash than Reed?

Before the season, no, but in this small sample, he is all of a sudden showing power that for me would vault him past Reed when you consider Bregman's superior contact skills and position. He had a .156 ISO last year and this year has a ridiculous .364 ISO. Correa had a .342 ISO in AA in 27 more plate appearances before being promoted to AAA last year. It may not be long before Bregman is promoted to AAA.

Another HR today for his 9th. He is assaulting AA pitching and I think now that Morin is in Houston, 3B is open for him at AAA.

This guy really excites me all of a sudden with this power, because before this season, he was thought of as an elite contact hitter with a limited power ceiling because of his line drive stroke. But now he is showing that he can hit for power and keep his contact skills intact attested by him walking more than he strikes out so far this year. Throw in double digit steals with his above average speed and you've got a stud.

Is Corpus Christi a big time hitters park?

Sounds like a legal term.

No. Think of all the great pitching stats that have been there recently. McCullers, Musgrove...the whole team had unbelievable pitching stats last year.

No. Think of all the great pitching stats that have been there recently. McCullers, Musgrove...the whole team had unbelievable pitching stats last year.

Ok, that seals it. I'm going to try and pick him up today and sit on him.

Thanks Coach George ... Appreciate your posts in this forum!

Jake Kaplan @jakemkaplan 5m5 minutes ago

Alex Bregman's 1.126 OPS leads the Texas League. He has as many home runs as strikeouts (9).

is it just assumed that he will next/soon go to AAA? or could the Astros be holding him in AA to see how Morin is producing for now and maybe Bregman jumps up to Houston shortly from AA?

Jake Kaplan ‏@jakemkaplan 5m5 minutes ago

Alex Bregman's 1.126 OPS leads the Texas League. He has as many home runs as strikeouts (9).

is it just assumed that he will next/soon go to AAA? or could the Astros be holding him in AA to see how Morin is producing for now and maybe Bregman jumps up to Houston shortly from AA?

Astros typically want players to get seasoning at AAA. In Bregman's case, the precursor to any call to the MLB level is a more constant play at 3B or the OF.

Jake Kaplan ‏@jakemkaplan 5m5 minutes ago

Astros typically want players to get seasoning at AAA. In Bregman's case, the precursor to any call to the MLB level is a more constant play at 3B or the OF.

The Astros have proven to be a really smart organization. I think they would be smart to get Bregman on the fast track to be up before August 1st. He would be an immediate improvement over Valbuena. Is that how it will shake out? I don't know. Would they be better with Bregman at 3B? I think so.

There are a lot of factors in such a decision but I trust the Astros to handle it the best way for them and their situation. They are a really well ran organization.

Ok, that seals it. I'm going to try and pick him up today and sit on him.

Thanks Coach George ... Appreciate your posts in this forum!

You're very welcome! I think Bregman is now a guy that could be a worth stash in all but the most shallow leagues. He should be owned in all keeper and dynasty formats in my opinion.

He's not the toolsiest prospect out there, but he's much better than many folks realized. That combination of plate discipline, pop and overall hitting ability is really impressive for a guy that could end up at a scarce position.

By the way, it is looking like 3B could be much more scarce than shortstop in the very near future. If he could be a dual eligibility guy, that would be HUGE!