Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Alex Bregman - SS HOU

Correa and Lindor weren't much of a stash last year since they came up fairly early. Winning fantasy teams can probably stash a guy due up by May or the super-two, but those same winning teams may find it much harder to spend a valuable roster spot on a guy that is likely an August-type callup - like Bregman.

The way I see it - if you're in a league in which Bregman is still available, you can probably still win your league with MLB waiver pickups. But if this is your scenario, and you have a roster spot that won't hurt you if taken by Bregman, take Bregman and keep playing to win. If in July you're in contention, and Bregman still has no imminent callup, you're probably better served by finding MLB help on waivers.

Dynasty, keeper, redraft - it doesn't matter if you're in position to win a championship now and dropping (or trading, most likely) Bregman gives you the one MLB player that can impact immediately then pull the trigger. Just my thoughts anyway.

Yeah so.... The past two games he has hit his 11th and 12th HRs. I guess he didn't like having more strikeouts than homeruns. What more does he have to do to get promoted to AAA?

Yeah so.... The past two games he has hit his 11th and 12th HRs. I guess he didn't like having more strikeouts than homeruns. What more does he have to do to get promoted to AAA?

Kind of surprising honestly. JD Davis, the AA 3B, is an actual prospect too, so Bregman isn't going to displace him with great regularity at AA, so if there is any intention to give Bregman a semi-regular look else where around the diamond, AA isn't an ideal place to do it. Bregman should be in AAA where he could likely get more time at 3B, SS and even a little in the OF if the Astros were so inclined.

If you are in the lead or within striking distance you don't stash prospects. You go for the jugular with all hands onboard full throttle.

if you are going for first you could stash a prospect like this as an option to trade. then for those teams looking to rebuild they could package multiple non keeper type players to help in exchange for that prospect. that is what has happened in previous years in the (16 team) keeper league I'm in, where we only keep 5.

that can be a possibility but it's a lot of extra work. in a 16 team league where there isn't much on the wire I understand. In a 12 team league not worth the effort when there is likely good players available on the wire that can contribute right aw

I'm pretty sure people who stashed Correa and Lindor last year got helped down the stretch by those very people. Can't make a blanket statement to not stash prospects if you are at the top of your league.

the analysis must weigh the value of a prospect's contribution stretched out over the entire time they spent doing nothing on your bench while they were in the minors so that dilutes their numbers considerably.

Not quite.

Stashing a player like that or having a guy like Andrelton Simmons rot on my bench (who I'd never use anyway) is a no brainer. Quality over quantity.

Have fun stashing guys like Mike Moustakas and Denard Span while the rest of us use those spots for a Mazara or Correa, etc.

at the risk of sounding redundant...are people stashing since super two is a couple weeks away? is he a strong candidate to be called up once that passes, in MiLB RW's expert opinion?

at the risk of sounding redundant...are people stashing since super two is a couple weeks away? is he a strong candidate to be called up once that passes, in MiLB RW's expert opinion?

I don't think it has to do with that. They want him to learn 3B then if they follow what they did Correa, he needs to play at AAA first. Then there needs to be an opening on the major league starting roster, so it depends on how Morin does. However, since the Astros are scuffling, they maybe be tempted to bring him up immediately for a spark. By the way, he started tonight at 3B for the 3rd time in the last 5 games.

i think the stars are aligned. bregman is crushing. valbuena and moran are not doing much. Astros were all in this year and they're struggling so they might need a spark.

i think the stars are aligned. bregman is crushing. valbuena and moran are not doing much. Astros were all in this year and they're struggling so they might need a spark.

I know it's only the last 2 games, but they won because of Valbuena

If you were going to put a % on him coming up this year, what would it be?

Wow he was mentioned in the WW column today...

Considering Valbuena and Morin have to fail I'd peg it at 10% before September 1st.

Well Valbuena has a .666 OPS and Morin hasn't got a hit in 12 AB's, with 6 k's, they aren't really lighting it up at the moment...

This guy doesn't stop hitting... I'm not going to say I've seen enough to warrant a big league call up by any means but hot damn he's been impressive.

Moran has looked bad as mentioned above. He will be optioned back down pretty soon.

Considering Valbuena and Morin have to fail I'd peg it at 10% before September 1st.

10% seems awfully low considering that he is putting up video game numbers in AA right now. If he keeps it up, that is what is called "forcing your way up". They won't be able to justify to their fanbase keeping him down there is helping when he has nothing left to prove.

if the Astros wanted to get him more AB in the minors I think they would have already advanced him to AAA where he would likely spend at least a month. with the super two within what 2 weeks maybe they're keeping him in AA where they know he's staying hot and then he can advance up to Houston to take over for a couple of scrubs with incredible confidence ready to throttle.

if the Astros wanted to get him more AB in the minors I think they would have already advanced him to AAA where he would likely spend at least a month. with the super two within what 2 weeks maybe they're keeping him in AA where they know he's staying hot and then he can advance up to Houston to take over for a couple of scrubs with incredible confidence ready to throttle.

Its possible, but it goes against the trend of how the Astros operate. They raised Correa to AAA on May 11.

Frankly, what they are doing with Bregman doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He's not really being tested by AA pitching and he actually has competition for 3B work (JD Davis). Perhaps, the struggles of Moran in Houston have made the Astros more inclined to leave the AAA 3B spot vacant for a short time to make a decision about whether he goes back?

I think Bregman is definitely in the stash conversation now, but reading these tea leaves isn't easy.

Altuve is someone who went up to Houston right from 35 games at AA (2011), and never went back down. although he also had 52 games at A+ that season before going to AA.

Altuve is someone who went up to Houston right from 35 games at AA (2011), and never went back down. although he also had 52 games at A+ that season before going to AA.

2011 was the Ed Wade regime though. In fact, he was fired later that year, so the promotion very well could have been a job saving attempt or something. Current regime has been more methodical with Springer, Correa, Reed, etc. They could go the other way, but would be bucking the recent trend. As I said, that he is still in AA is actually a little unusual per their typical actions.

18 BBs to 12 Ks to go along with 12 HRs and a 1.119 OPS

What is this guy doing in AA ball still? He needs to be promoted pronto to AAA or The Big Show!

18 BBs to 12 Ks to go along with 12 HRs and a 1.119 OPS

What is this guy doing in AA ball still? He needs to be promoted pronto to AAA or The Big Show!

I'm guessing the management has a plan in mind, but I'm wondering why he hasn't gotten a call up to AAA. If they want him to get work at AAA, it would have seemed to make sense to call him up when Moran was called to Houston.

astros have a 3rd base guy at AAA they don't want to bump?

The everyday AAA 3B is now in Houston and no one that plays 3B got moved in to take his place. The only explanation is that the team had doubts about that AAA 3B (Moran) being able to make it at the MLB level, so they didn't want to promote someone, then deal with the log jam that gets created by sending Moran back down.

Sounds silly, but that's all I got.

Its possible, but it goes against the trend of how the Astros operate. They raised Correa to AAA on May 11.

Frankly, what they are doing with Bregman doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He's not really being tested by AA pitching and he actually has competition for 3B work (JD Davis). Perhaps, the struggles of Moran in Houston have made the Astros more inclined to leave the AAA 3B spot vacant for a short time to make a decision about whether he goes back?

I think Bregman is definitely in the stash conversation now, but reading these tea leaves isn't easy.

I think this is probably the most plausible answer. Moran isn't getting the ABs he needs in the majors and looks terribly overmatched (although hard to really know b/c of SSS). I think Moran is going down eventually and if Bregman's already there, what do you do with him? You could play at SS, which is probably his best position but the Astros don't seem to want to move Correa to 3b at this time. Maybe in the offseason. I think Bregman perhaps is being held back because the Stros' think Moran may end back up in AAA.

Could be they're not sure where they want him in 3 weeks, but they're happy with his hitting and like him relaxed and succeeding at the plate while he learns a new position. I like the way the top Stros lately ease around the organization and show up in Houston with their heads in order. (knock wood)