jfazz23

James Kaprielian - SP NYY

Maybe the yankees best SP prospect now that Severino is up.

hes in High A ball and they are saying he could rise quickly.

Struck out 9 in 5 innings with just 3 hits yesterday....

what do you guys think?

is 2017 a realistic chance at making the starting rotation??? i expect to see him in AA or AAA sometime this year...

maybe even a september call up?

Heard he was topping out at 97... at UCLA he never threw much harder than 92-93. Pretty unbelievable to see such a dramatic spike in such a short time frame, but as a Yankee fan I'm bubbling over with excitement.

I expect the Yankees to get him some experience at all the levels before calling him up, but if there's injuries to the rotation or CC/Nova simply can't cut it as a #5... could see him up even by July/August.

In the short-term I think they'll give him another 6-7 starts before moving him up to AA..

• Like 1

Latest reports have him 'sitting at 99' with his fastball...

• Like 1

Source?

Very intrigued by this guy. Control was always good, never thought he sat anywhere near 95+ though. He could be a monster if that's true.

Completely avoided this guy in any minor league drafts because he had about zero upside. He was pretty much destined for a 4 or 5 slot in a decent rotation. Never would have guessed he'd pick up another 4-5mph after college. Now he looks like he may have #2 upside.

• Like 1

Source?

Very intrigued by this guy. Control was always good, never thought he sat anywhere near 95+ though. He could be a monster if that's true.

Kaprielian 2-1 w 1.50 ERA after last night. 22 Ks & 3 BB in 18 total innings so far. Talent evaluator said FB "consistently" hitting 99

• Like 1

btw, I think there's now a very good chance he's contributing on the Yankees this year. Probably by mid-July.

btw, I think there's now a very good chance he's contributing on the Yankees this year. Probably by mid-July.

He's going to be in the mlb this year? Thought he's only on high A right now

Well remember as long as he keeps having success he'll be fast tracked because

1) the Yankees desperately need starting pitching

2) he was a 3-year college player so he's already pretty polished/developed compared to other guys in High-A

I think he'll get another 4-5 starts at High-A and if he keeps dominating the Yankees will likely move him to AA at that point as that'll probably get him near 50 innings there (which they've used as a benchmark in past for other pitching prospects).

If he deals at AA I think you'll see him moved up pretty quick. If he struggles initially then his ETA probably gets pushed back to August/Sept.

why does increased velocity lead to elbow inflammation?

just over exertion?

6 hours ago, Italian_guy said:

Back on the mount on AFL. 6K in 3 IP

Do you know what his readings were on his fastballs? Im hoping he throttled back a bit because he was throwing high 90's before he got injured this year. And I watched Kaprielian all throughout college. He's not a power pitcher but I would like to see him sitting in the mid 90s but nothing more. Kaprielian is a special pitcher. I was much higher on him then most during draft day last year. I really hope his arm stays healthy and that he could avoid TJ. 

On 10/13/2016 at 11:34 AM, JakeSarna said:

Do you know what his readings were on his fastballs? Im hoping he throttled back a bit because he was throwing high 90's before he got injured this year. And I watched Kaprielian all throughout college. He's not a power pitcher but I would like to see him sitting in the mid 90s but nothing more. Kaprielian is a special pitcher. I was much higher on him then most during draft day last year. I really hope his arm stays healthy and that he could avoid TJ. 

Isnt mid 90s considered a power pitcher ? 

Rotoworld.  It gets worse:

Yankees pitching prospect James Kaprielian underwent an MRI on his right elbow on Friday.

He's set to visit Dr. Neil ElAttrache in Los Angeles on Tuesday, which is usually an ominous sign. The right-hander already missed most of the 2016 season due to a flexor strain and now his 2017 could be in jeopardy.