FouLLine

Mitch Keller - SP PIT

Was the 64th overall pick in the 2014 draft. He pitched well in a small sample in his first year in proball in 2014. Then battled a forearm injury in 2015.

Now healthy again this year Mitch Keller is absolutely obliterating A ball (South Atlantic League). Yes 15 innings is a small sample but hot dang 23 Ks, 0.00 ERA, 0.47 WHIP is an extremely strong sample as well. 0 BBs to 23 Ks.

Put him on your radar guys he looks to be breaking out in a big way.

Several years away from any mlb impact, but Pirates fans know his name. Kid is very highly regarded. Not Glasnow k potential, but better control

Breakout happening.

He was mentioned in the 2015 Sleeper Prospects thread. Looks like it's a year later.

I can't wait to hear some reports on what he's working with. Exciting young arm-

It'll be interesting to see how he does at a higher level. A lot of those pitches were over the fat part of the plate. His stuff is just so good for A-Ball that he can get away with it.

Has a nice, simple delivery that is easily repeatable. Very little wasted movement. He does throw against his body a little bit, I'd like to see him open up a split second sooner and drive down the hill a little more, but it works for him. 2SFB looks like a wiffle ball on some pitches and he pounds it inside to righties. If he can continue to develop and master that pitch, it could be lethal.

Keller has now reeled off three consecutive scoreless starts.

08/06 6.0IP 4H 0ER 0BB 9K

08/12 5.0IP 4H 0ER 1BB 7K

08/19 7.0IP 2H 0ER 1BB 5K

Dude has really turned it on and should be on most Top 50 lists. His season numbers are stellar in the Sally:

119.1IP 93H 16BB 124K 2.56ERA 0.91WHIP

Geez look at that 1.21BB/9 and that 9.37K/9. Yum.

Pirates RHP Mitch Keller, Class A West Virginia: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K -- The Pirates' No. 5 prospect is arguably the breakout star of the system this season and is close to finishing the year with an exclamation point. Wednesday's outing extended his scoreless streak to 23 innings, a run that started Aug. 6. The 20-year-old was just hoping to be healthy in 2016 after a forearm strain limited him to 19 2/3 innings with Bristol last season but has done so much more, posting a 2.46 ERA with 131 strikeouts and only 18 walks in 124 1/3 frames with the Power. His 2.42 FIP and 7.3 K/BB are both tops among all Class A hurlers as well. Keller has already moved into MLB.com's top 100 ranks at No. 82, and we could be talking about him making an even bigger jump if he can maintain that stellar control at the higher levels.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160825&content_id=197598462&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Makes this week's hot sheet at BA: 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-aug-26-jose-de-leon-ready-majors/#2xpGTiGPe4AbOl5Z.97

6. Mitch Keller, rhp, Pirates  Team: low Class A West Virginia (South Atlantic) Age: 20 Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 12 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 12 SO, 3 BB  The Scoop: One of the year’s biggest breakout performers continued to blossom this week with a pair of dominant starts. Keller comes armed with a mid-90s fastball that he’s learned how to hone into a weapon, as well as a 12-to-6 curveball and a changeup. He has learned how to better attack hitters this year, and the results have shown in his 8-5, 2.46 line with 131 strikeouts in 124.1 innings. (JN)

Dude was great in his first start in HiA. Another great outing last night:

6IP, 5H, 0ER, 1BB, 7Ks

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160830&content_id=198617994&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Keller (1-0), who was named the South Atlantic League's top pitcher earlier in the day, allowed a runner to reach second base in the first three innings, but didn't give up any hits with men in scoring position. His ability to make in-game adjustments proved to be the key to keeping the Hammerheads off the scoreboard.

The righty, who went 2-0 in August before his promotion, didn't allow a run in his final 23 innings with the Power. After extending that scoreless streak to 29 frames Tuesday, he said he's looking forward to finishing the season strong.  

"Just [have to] keep doing what I've been doing ... continue my success with the fastball, use my off-speed in any count," Keller said. "That's really what I'm trying to do here down the stretch -- off-speed command and then obviously helping the team succeed here in the playoffs coming up."

Here's the article about him being named the Sally's top pitcher: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160830&content_id=198516430&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Edited by 12to6
  • Like 1

Saw his start yesterday...looked great. Really knows how to mix his stuff up, not just a fastball pitcher like he was last year when he was injury riddled. For a 20 year old, he's got impeccable command and a huge presence on the mound. Looking forward to him crushing 2017. The pirates move their prospects very slowly, he should finish 2017 in AA, and could potentially be a September Callup in 2018 if he continues his dominance and stays healthy. Keller is developing into the real deal

• Like 1

this guy is going to be massive hype. highly, highly, highly recommend buying now if possible before the lists come out.

From June 30.

Keller started the game for the North squad in the midst of a breakout 2016 after just having turned 20. He looked every bit the guy who ranks among the SAL’s best pitching prospects, throwing nine of 11 pitches for strikes and striking out two. He’s durably-built with a broad-shouldered 6-foot-3 frame with a clean look to his delivery, and repeats it well with a starter’s look. Keller has pounded the strike zone this year, as he’s walked just seven (versus 76 strikeouts) across 67 innings for the Power. His fastball has worked consistently at 92-95 all season—as it did in his one-inning outing—and features heavy, sinking tail. A slightly off-line arm-arc in the back hindered his ability to land his curveball for strikes early in the year, but he landed his curveball around the zone consistently in this look, getting both his strikeouts on breaking pitches. The curve has the ingredients of a 55 or 60-grade pitch, and showed consistent two-plane tilt with good power in the 78-80 range. His changeup shows promising late action, though he doesn't throw it much—he didn't throw one in his 11-pitch outing—and it's currently lacks separation off his fastball, sitting in the upper 80s. His mechanics are clean enough that he can make foreseeable adjustments to his changeup; the sum of Keller's stuff, control, and frame could be a middle-rotation starter. With Taillon and Glassnow soon to reach Pittsburgh for good, Keller might be putting his stamp on the title of Pittsburgh's best pitching prospect, and I see him as a darkhorse candidate for the 2017 BP 101. —Adam McInturff

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=29689

He's not a dark horse now, he's a lock. I would guess he's top 40, maybe even higher. He had a 7+ k/bb and awesome ratios all around.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

5 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

this guy is going to be massive hype. highly, highly, highly recommend buying now if possible before the lists come out.

I saw that Baseball America had him ranked over Glasnow and Bell in the Pirates organization. Pretty eye catching!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

You want eye-catching George?? #16 on the mighty Klaw list!

I saw that! It's bold for sure!

i like Keller quite a bit and thought I was being bold when I put him at 35. I could stand to move him up a few spots, but I'd like to see him have some AA success before I put him in the top 20. He's a great prospect though!

His first start was kinda sucky, but he rebounded nicely today:

6IP (in a 7IP game), 3H, 1ER, 1BB, 4Ks

• Like 1

Glad to see him bounce back after getting tuned up in his first start.  I've never actually seen him pitch but he seems pretty polished.  I'm wondering how quickly he'll be promoted to AA if he continues to string quality starts together.

Just now, Dahk said:

Glad to see him bounce back after getting tuned up in his first start.  I've never actually seen him pitch but he seems pretty polished.  I'm wondering how quickly he'll be promoted to AA if he continues to string quality starts together.

Aren't the prognosticators saying ETA is 2018? If so I'd imagine a promotion is forthcoming.

Keller with his best start of the year so far:

7IP, 5H, 0ER, 1BB, 9Ks

• Like 2