FouLLine

Mitch Keller - SP PIT

Will he make the big club this year at all? I know Pittsburgh usually likes until their pitching prospects turn 30 before they bring them up but hopefully he gets a chance 

22 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

Will he make the big club this year at all? I know Pittsburgh usually likes until their pitching prospects turn 30 before they bring them up but hopefully he gets a chance 

AND....is Keller worth stashing in Keeper/Dynasty formats? I'm assuming he will be up 'sometime' in 2019...but you know how that goes.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, lavaman said:

AND....is Keller worth stashing in Keeper/Dynasty formats? I'm assuming he will be up 'sometime' in 2019...but you know how that goes.

Wondering the same thing. He’s available in my keeper as the only top pitching prospect available. Seems like most people are down on him which is interesting considering his minor league success and MLB proximity. 

6 hours ago, tywalson said:

Wondering the same thing. He’s available in my keeper as the only top pitching prospect available. Seems like most people are down on him which is interesting considering his minor league success and MLB proximity. 

If he's the only pitching prospect avail, what are you waiting for? Assuming you have the roster space of course.

10 minutes ago, lavaman said:

If he's the only pitching prospect avail, what are you waiting for? Assuming you have the roster space of course.

I mean Sixto is there too, but I added him for JA Happ.

He didn't fair so well in his latest outing 1IP 3 hits 2 er 0k's

Having a rough spring 

Surprisingly little talk about Keller since an ugly ST. 

At AAA, 25.0 IP, 32k, 14bb, 3.60 era despite a .415 BaBIP. 4/27 start struck out 10 and walked just 1 in 5 innings (gave up 8 hits and 4 ER). 

Not the most exciting numbers, but a nice step in the right direction. 

Gotta think he's getting the call with the Taillon injury?

7 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Gotta think he's getting the call with the Taillon injury?

Only reason I could see them being hesitant is that he's just now finding a Grove in AAA. Might opt to keep him there for a little longer to keep building confidence and consistency. 

10 hours ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Brault and Kingham have been announced as starters

Yeah I prob should have thought of that, I liked both once upon a time...just seems like they have been bullpen only for awhile and can't be stretched out...if Keller keeps in a groove I can see him by the end of the month maybe...

Yeah, Brault was sent to the minors a week ago so I'm assuming he'll have a very short leash. Really the only AAA option is Keller because of Brubaker's injury. They could dabble with someone like Rookie Davis if they really wanted too, but Keller seems like the next man up. Kind of don't think he gets the opportunity though, with Archer due back soon. 

33 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Yeah, Brault was sent to the minors a week ago so I'm assuming he'll have a very short leash. Really the only AAA option is Keller because of Brubaker's injury. They could dabble with someone like Rookie Davis if they really wanted too, but Keller seems like the next man up. Kind of don't think he gets the opportunity though, with Archer due back soon. 

Is Clay Holmes still starting in Indy? Wasn't sure if they converted him to the pen in ST?

31 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Is Clay Holmes still starting in Indy? Wasn't sure if they converted him to the pen in ST?

They're using him in a relief role these days 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Of course not.  It would make the most sense to bring up Keller soon.  I wouldn't have a problem with them letting him get another couple starts down there, but in no way should Brault even be sniffing the starting rotation.  He's a decent reliever most of the time, but he's an awful starter.  It'd likely be Kingham long term anyways once Archer comes back, but even he should just stick to the bullpen.

I do think they bring up Keller at some point, but it won't be until the Pirates are something like 45-55 and it means nothing.  No reason why they can't mishandle things like they've mishandled Tucker since being brought up.  Expecting any rookie to produce batting in front of the pitcher is just plain hilarious, but that subject is for Tucker's thread...

• Like 2

Per CBS, here is the latest:

Keller isn't an immediate candidate for recall as the organization would like him to focus on adding a new pitch (a slider/cutter) to his repertoire at the Triple-A level, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

"He's gaining some confidence in it (the slider/cutter) and some willingness to use it in key situations," general manager Neal Huntington said. Pittsburgh will start Steven Brault and Nick Kingham on Tuesday and Wednesday, and hope to have Chris Archer back in a week. Keller, who's totaled 16 starts at the Triple-A level, has struggled with his control (14 walks in 31 innings) but posted a 16:2 K:BB in his last two games. "Keller is making great strides," Huntington said. "His last two starts are really reasons for us to continue to be optimistic about Mitch." For the season, the 23-year-old has registered a 3.48 ERA and 1.55 WHIP. More than ever, it seems likely he'll be up before September -- provided he continues to show improved control and command.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pittsburgh is horrible at developing talent.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Pittsburgh is horrible at developing talent.

Image result for tyler glasnow.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Image result for tyler glasnow.gif

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not...

They didn't develop Glasnow properly. I'd argue that they held him back.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not...

They didn't develop Glasnow properly. I'd argue that they held him back.

see you understood it lol, def agreeing i figured seeing how he did in PIt vs now in TB was self explanatory my b my b lol

Edited by kmoore1521

Posted (edited)

Been uneven lately but still decent stats for the season as a whole. Could he be getting the call soon with all the injuries the Pirates rotation is facing?

Edited by mocha4313

10 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Been uneven lately but still decent stats for the season as a whole. Could he be getting the call soon with all the injuries the Pirates rotation is facing?

not with that walk rate at AAA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

not with that walk rate at AAA

Yeah, obv the pirates either don't think he's there yet...I mean how many members of their rotation have get injured for him to get a shot???

Well, he was scratched from start today and plenty of rumors he's headed up for a debut on WED...just fyi

• Like 1