FouLLine

Mitch Keller - SP PIT

23 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Any other buzzing going on 

CBS is also speculating, reporting on the scratch. 

21 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Any other buzzing going on 

Nah - it's all speculation and nothing more for now. This is basically all we have:

If you have space and want to make a preemptive add, it would seem to be a reasonable time to do so. I will say though that I'm not sure how impactful he'll be in 2019 - certainly worth a flier if you have dead weight, but he has a 1.50 WHIP on the season as he's given up plenty of hits without the best control. Of course, you just never know as it could suddenly click once he gets a call up - motivation can be a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rotowire blurb, sorry for the formatting.

The Pirates have considered recalling Keller but would like him to first develop his new slider/cutter pitch, general manager Neal Huntington told 93.7 The Fan on Sunday.

Analysis:

Three of Keller's last four starts have gone well, but the organization is looking for better consistency from the righty. It's possible that the organization doesn't believe Keller has the tools to succeed at the major league level with just two reliable pitches (his fastball and curve). The 22-year-old was dreadful in three Grapefruit League outings this spring, surrendering 10 earned runs on 10 hits and three walks without striking out a batter in four innings. Keller has compiled a 3.83 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and 50:19 K:BB in 40 Triple-A innings in 2019.

Edited by JRowMe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The walk rate is no bueno, and if it's one thing that points to a ratio killing pitcher it's a lack of control. High walks rates can = disaster outings.  In redrafts I'd lean toward avoiding unless you have the roster room to feel him out. 

On 5/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Well, he was scratched from start today and plenty of rumors he's headed up for a debut on WED...just fyi

Montana DuRapau gets the nod instead. Didn't even know that guy existed until 15 seconds ago. 

I agree with your earlier post, he's gotta harness his control better first. 

First AAA start after his disastrous first inning in Cincy. 

6 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 5 K

Not the most flashy line, but the big stats to highlight here is just 2 walks. That's been his weak point in general, but today went 99-67. A good sign and a solid bounce back.

A second chance in the Show is not far off, potentially next Friday:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updates on this cat?

Nothing concrete, rumor mill suggests that he's an option to start Wed in Atlanta. 

Just now, LoGo said:

Nothing concrete, rumor mill suggests that he's an option to start Wed in Atlanta. 

Permanent call or just filling in?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

If he actually does good this time, I'd think it'd be permanent.  They still don't have 5 starters in their rotation.  Wednesday would be the spot for their 5th starter.

If I'd pick him up again, it'd be a wait and see approach. Not starting him against Atlanta and Mike Soroka.

Edited by KilloWertz

7 hours ago, pierceNKC said:

Nope,Probably not up again until 7/1. Super Two Issue 

43 minutes ago, Lorr said:

Nope,Probably not up again until 7/1. Super Two Issue 

Super-2 isn't a concern. Even with the one day he spent on the roster in May, Keller is easily past the Super-2 deadline. Under the most conservative tiimelines, team use the first week of June, but the reality is that the Super-2 deadlines over the last 6 years have been May 23 or earlier.

• Like 3

But, it’s about service time ( not about a date) and Pittsburgh never pays

if there was any question before...

3 hours ago, pierceNKC said:

if there was any question before...

Yeah, Montana was another SP they brought in before so hopefully this means Keller is the next option for their 5th spot with this latest injury. Hope he pitches well and sticks around. Rebounded nicely after a rough first inning.

6 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Yeah, Montana was another SP they brought in before so hopefully this means Keller is the next option for their 5th spot with this latest injury. Hope he pitches well and sticks around. Rebounded nicely after a rough first inning.

I think Idaho Jones or Dakota Thomas is next in the pecking order...then Keller???

• Haha 2

On 6/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, Lorr said:

But, it’s about service time ( not about a date) and Pittsburgh never pays

My point was that it is essentially impossible for Keller to accrue enough service time at this point to qualify for Super-Two. You're right, its not a date. It's the top 22% of qualified players after the 2021 season. Waiting until July 1 might increase the probability of missing Super-Two from 99.99991 to 99.99999. There is no appreciable difference. None... literally.... zero player who will have accrued the service time that Keller could starting today has ever qualified for Super-Two in the history of the program. The same would be true if he was called up a week ago.

That's not even addressing the point that Super-Two may not exist in the next CBA, but that's adding another unnecessary level.

Kinda scary against a hot Braves lineup, but we'll see what the kid is all about I suppose.