Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oriole Way

which of these prospects would you draft #1?

Out of Matt Weiters, Jake McGee, Steve Pearce, and Andrew McCutchen, who do you take first in a minor league draft?

I would take McGee. Great upside as a SP. Should be in the big leagues in a year or 2. I would rank Wieters prolly 2nd and McCutchen right there with him

Out of Matt Weiters, Jake McGee, Steve Pearce, and Andrew McCutchen, who do you take first in a minor league draft?

name all the minor leaguers gone and i will give you a top 5, i wont disappoint

Weiters by a fair bit over McGee

assuming you can keep him till he plays. Weiters, then McGee, Pearce, McCutchen

I would take McGee. Great upside as a SP. Should be in the big leagues in a year or 2. I would rank Wieters prolly 2nd and McCutchen right there with him

Rumor has it he'll be the TB CP eventually

I always take the bat over the arms, unless there's a *huge* gap in FBB impact - there's more predictability, and durability involved (a lot more *elite* SP prospects fail to reach their ceiling than bats in my experience, and the ones that reach it often don't stay at an elite level as long as the bats).

So, while I consider McGee a stud, I'd put him very much behind Weiters. Wieters has the advantage of a polished approach at the plate, a *huge* ceiling at both .avg & power, and the 3rd key factor of doing it as the scarcest position around (C - 2B/SS pooled together makes it less scarce than C, if you are in a 2-C league, that is). The other part that hasn't been addressed is the possibility that McGee could be picked to close (his secondary pitches are just OK beyond his slider - 2-pitch SP's aren't nearly as successful, so closer is a *great* fit), which would *dramatically* reduce his FBB value.

So, it's Weiters out of that group, and it's not even close.

As it's been pointed out, to ensure you haven't missed someone, maybe you could tell us which minors players are taken, and we'd be able to tell you the best ones left. Plus, it would also help to know if your league allows you to keep minors guys indefinitely, or if they need to be helping you quickly (say, in the next 1-2 years, or you can only keep them 5 years total from the time you draft 'em) - all of those factors changes the lists *considerably*.

All of that aside, if you're still talking about the group above, then I'd take Weiters, and wouldn't think twice about it.

P.S. Just noticed the username - if *that* really is your list, then you're in a win-win situation - you get the best FBB prospect, *and* he's a hometown boy.

Much as I love pitching (and McGee is certainly worth loving) it would be awfully hard to pass up Wieters. Catchers with his upside only come around every so many years.