NYR Fan 116894

Sandy Alcantara - SP MIA

Probably time for a thread for this electric arm in the Cards system.

20 years of age at Peoria with fellow electric arm Junior Fernandez. Stats thus far:

34.1 IP, 22 H, 21 BB, 40 K, 3.67 ERA, 10.5 K/9, 5.5 BB/9

From BP's Top 10 STL List:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28308

Sandy Alcantara, RHP– Everything written about Fernandez applies to Alcantara, just on a lesser scale. He’ll touch the upper 90s with his fastball (usually 92-96) and his frame suggests he’ll have a double-plus fastball as he fills out. He also shows a solid changeup, but the curveball is below average and the command has a long way to go. This is a work in progress, but he could be one of the best pitching prospects in the system someday.

This young flamethrower reportedly hit 102 on the gun last year in the GCL.

Mauricio Rubio of 2080 baseball was at his most recent start, in which Alcantara went 7 innings, allowed 4 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), walked 2, and struck out 10.

Mauricio Rubio Jr. @MRubio52 May 17

#Cardinals Sandy Alcantara 95-98, tickling 99 a few times. Slider 10-4 at 82-83. Lean frame, easy velocity.

Mauricio Rubio Jr. @MRubio52 May 17

Alcantara 94-96 now, less sharp w/Slider, command took a step back as game went along. Lost release on slider a few times.

Also an 8 minute video of that start from Rubio for those interested:

• Like 2

I for some reason thought I made a post about this guy. Yeah, I have my eyes on him. High upside, looks intriguing.

yea weve been kicking these names around on the cardinals message board i frequent...the general consensus is that gomber, junior fernandez and alcantara are sleepers in the system.

thanks for posting the stats though--hadnt checked on him i awhile

6 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 14 K's today vs Beloit

https://twitter.com/icetimecleve/status/734831561678282752

Dave Eminian @icetimecleve 6h6 hours ago

CHIEFS RHP Sandy Alcantara just fired back-to-back 100 mph pitches to Beloit hitter Brett Siddall in 2nd inning at Dozer today

Dave Eminian @icetimecleve 4h4 hours ago

CHIEFS Alcantara w 14 strikeouts thru 6 innings, ties a Chiefs record at Dozer Park (Starling Peralta, Aug. 7, 2012 vs Clinton)

Dave Eminian @icetimecleve 4h4 hours ago

CHIEFS Alcantara also whiffed 7 straight in one stretch, which is most consec Ks in a single outing for Chiefs since Gavlick (8-2-1993)

24 K's in his last 13 IP (last two starts)

• Like 1

I really dont know who has more upside between Junior and Sandy .

I think most everyone (at least expert wise that I follow) would have said Junior before the year. Now it's prolly 50/50. Personally, I am in the Sandy camp. Just better size and plane on pitches. Both electric. I read somewhere that he needs to be added to roster this off-season to avoid rule5 draft. It could accelerate his timeline to the org somewhat. Get in on this guy in deep dynasty.

• Like 1

I think most everyone (at least expert wise that I follow) would have said Junior before the year. Now it's prolly 50/50. Personally, I am in the Sandy camp. Just better size and plane on pitches. Both electric. I read somewhere that he needs to be added to roster this off-season to avoid rule5 draft. It could accelerate his timeline to the org somewhat. Get in on this guy in deep dynasty.

Big if true. Source on rule 5 thing ?

He's wrong.

Rule 5 draft explained --

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

Can any Minor League player be drafted?

No. Players who were signed when they were 19 or older and have played in professional baseball for four years are eligible, as are players who were signed at 18 and have played for five years.

Sandy Alcantara was signed at age 17 in 2013.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/cardinals-sign-dominican-righthander-sandy-alcantara/#34qUBYcg1glWUgRr.97

2016 is his 3rd season. He won't be Rule 5 eligible until 2018.

• Like 1

Mea culpa on him needing to be added to the roster, not sure where I read that? Must have been on minorleagueball or something? I still think he's a nice dynasty league stash yet, but it will certainly be a while.

• Like 1

He's wrong.

Rule 5 draft explained --

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

Can any Minor League player be drafted?

No. Players who were signed when they were 19 or older and have played in professional baseball for four years are eligible, as are players who were signed at 18 and have played for five years.

Sandy Alcantara was signed at age 17 in 2013.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/cardinals-sign-dominican-righthander-sandy-alcantara/#34qUBYcg1glWUgRr.97

2016 is his 3rd season. He won't be Rule 5 eligible until 2018.

Thanks. Also , I like your Reddit posts.

• Like 1

Mea culpa on him needing to be added to the roster, not sure where I read that? Must have been on minorleagueball or something? I still think he's a nice dynasty league stash yet, but it will certainly be a while.

No worries. I like Alcantara too. I'm not sure whether he's a reliever or starter though. The guys at Baseball prospectus and 2080 both slapped a future 60 on him, but 2080 seems convinced he's destined for the pen.

http://2080baseball.com/reports/sandy-alcantara/

Just came across where I read the rule 5 draft nugget;

It was in Klaw's write-up on teams top 10 prospects (plus)-

"He (Alcantara) and Gonzalez are both Rule 5 eligible after the 2016 season, so the Cardinals might have to push them a little to see if they are worth protecting on the 40-man roster."

Not trying to rehash this whole thing but hard to believe Klaw got it wrong, though it's certainly possible!

• Like 1

Opening day age: 21

Forecast: Ranked behind Junior Fernandez a year ago, Alcantara surged ahead of Fernandez and the other members of a stocked Peoria pitching staff. A scout clocked Alcantara once with a 102-mph fastball, and he’s been able to hit 100 mph consistently. He complements that velocity with a better feel for other pitches than his contemporaries, and that has evaluators believing he’ll advance as a starter while others, like Fernandez, could see more success in relief. At the time of his promotion from Low-A, Alcantara led the Midwest League with 119 strikeouts. He finished year 5-11 with a 3.96 ERA and 153 strikeouts in 122 2/3 innings. He walked 59. The 6-foot-4 righthander is set for a return to High-A Palm Beach, and his career is about to accelerate.

Source: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/sandy-alcantara-rhp/article_b52805a6-1040-580b-a8ac-42669ebdbedd.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=30958

Alcantara made a huge jump in BP's Cards rankings in a year. I could be wrong, but I dont think he was even top 10 last year. Now he's #2 behind Alex Reyes, who is basically not a prospect if he's getting drafted as an SP3 in redraft leagues. Pretty much is only a prospect for technical purposes.

So, he's kind of the #1 prospect right now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=30958

Alcantara made a huge jump in BP's Cards rankings in a year. I could be wrong, but I dont think he was even top 10 last year. Now he's #2 behind Alex Reyes, who is basically not a prospect if he's getting drafted as an SP3 in redraft leagues. Pretty much is only a prospect for technical purposes.

So, he's kind of the #1 prospect right now. 

I remember getting into a heated discussion with someone here about Alcantara over Junior Fernandez haha.

But yeah, obviously a huge jump. I think BP is a little low on Luke Weaver though tbh.

• Like 1

One of my favorite young hurlers. Much like CLE and PIT, I like to invest in STL pitching prospects.

don't really agree with that one at all.  his list seems to be based strictly on upside, which i would think that perez would be #2.

I'm high on sandy, but not that high.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:39 AM, fawkes_mulder said:

I remember getting into a heated discussion with someone here about Alcantara over Junior Fernandez haha.

But yeah, obviously a huge jump. I think BP is a little low on Luke Weaver though tbh.

here's a pretty good write-up comparing the two if youre interested.  VEB has sandy #9 and Junior ranked ahead of him at #8

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/1/11/14232122/viva-el-birdos-2017-top-prospects-list-part-five-st-louis-cardinals-minor-leagues-alex-reyes

• Like 1