Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CHC

102 posts in this topic

He's been mentioned a number of times in the last two years in prospects that are prepped to break out threads and now that he's finally doing it, he deserves his own thread.

The #1 ranked kid in the 2013 international class, if you want ceiling this is your guy as he has highest offensive ceiling in the Cub organization. He's absolutely huge and with that size comes enormous power potential, though he has only tapped into a fraction of it.

Going into tonight's game the 19 year old was sporting a season line of .326/.357/.500 at A ball and a May line of .381/.400/.603. He went yard tonight for his 5th HR on the season and third in the last 2 games.

A picture of a 17 year old Eloy on the left, Manny Ramirez in the middle and Gleyber Torres on the Right

ELOY-MANNY.jpg

Been an Eloy fan for awhile. Hardlined an owner Ina dynasty league trade saying it MUST include him last year. Good thread, the potential is big.

Saw him play in South Bend earlier this year and Eloy was much more impressive than Eddy Julio Martinez who I had heard more about. Comps to mlb players are overdone and get annoying but I do have to say, he reminds me a lot of Soler. Scouts have rated his raw power @ 65.

.422 BABIP with a 26% k rate so far at SB, so batting average is due for some major regression but at his age what hes doing very impressive. Will be a fun guy to follow and Im guessing if he develops well could be looking at a 2019 MLB ETA.

This kid was one of the elite young international players the Cubs signed back in 2013 (with Torres). The kid is still only 19 and is tearing the cover off the ball in the early part of the South Bend season.

.329 BA

5 Homers

22 RBI

Look forward to see what he does as he continues to develop both as a hitter, but also his body developing.

patrick (san diego): It's great to see Eloy Jimenez start to turn the raw skills into production on the field. Do you think he'll find the plate discipline to find success in the higher levels. Or might he be the rare kind of prospect that can succeed even without plate discipline?

Matt Eddy: I think the disparate SO and BB rates plays better up the middle than it does on a corner, which is where Eloy Jimenez is bound. It can often be a major stumbling block for young RH-hitting corner players, e.g. Rymer Liriano, Joel Guzman, Wily Mo Pena and others.

patrick (san diego): It's great to see Eloy Jimenez start to turn the raw skills into production on the field. Do you think he'll find the plate discipline to find success in the higher levels. Or might he be the rare kind of prospect that can succeed even without plate discipline?
Matt Eddy: I think the disparate SO and BB rates plays better up the middle than it does on a corner, which is where Eloy Jimenez is bound. It can often be a major stumbling block for young RH-hitting corner players, e.g. Rymer Liriano, Joel Guzman, Wily Mo Pena and others.

so is Eddy saying that Eloy will go the way of Liriano et. al.?

so is Eddy saying that Eloy will go the way of Liriano et. al.?

If he continues to walk at sub 5% and K at 27% yeah, but he's starting to strike out less and he had 2 walks today to go with his 6th HR so things are looking up. I'd be thrilled with an 8BB% and 22K%

The power surge continues, HR #7 today. He may looking at A+ in the very near future if this keeps up.

Blasted a walk off bomb in tonight's game for his 8th HR on the year. His slash for the year stands at .339/.382/.557

In the Midwest league his 8HRs are 2nd, .939OPS 1st, .339AVG 3rd, .382OBP 14th

I guarantee this guy will get a lot of prospect love from the major publications. He's 19 guys...

Look at the kind of love Victor Robles is getting. If he's available in deeper dynasty leagues, especially those with a separate minor league system, he needs to be added ASAP.

Guarantee he will be t100 next year, and that's probably conservative.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

This guy is really gaining steam...loads of physical tools and now some production to match.

If I were making a new list, he'd be in my top 50 without hesitation.

He is getting close to must add status in dynasty leagues...but he is very young and it will take years for him to be at the major league level. Still, a really fun guy to own.

Edited by Coach George
1 person likes this

Player of the month by Cubs, this kid is going to get his shot eventually when free agency takes away some guys in his way is my thinking.

Edited by BayofPuigs

Realized I sound like a broken record, but this dude really needs to be owned in most dynasty formats.

1 person likes this

2/5 tonight with a double and his 10th HR of the season. I'd expect a promotion any time now.

#28 on Baseball Prospectus midseason top 50!

2 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

#28 on Baseball Prospectus midseason top 50!

Theo is amazing. Since the start of the 2015 baseball season the following guys have been ranked top 50 and promoted in the Cub system. Bryant,Russell,Baez,Schwarber,Soler and Contreras. Now the Farm still has Eloy #28,Glebyer # 32 and Happ #50. 8 different top 50 players in the last year and a half.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Theo is amazing. Since the start of the 2015 baseball season the following guys have been ranked top 50 and promoted in the Cub system. Bryant,Russell,Baez,Schwarber,Soler and Contreras. Now the Farm still has Eloy #28,Glebyer # 32 and Happ #50. 8 different top 50 players in the last year and a half.

I don't mean any disrespect to Theo, just wondering if he has a certain philosophy.  But does he pour all his resources into hitting and just use FA to pluck pitchers up?  I never see many Cubs pitching prospects on these lists. 

49 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I don't mean any disrespect to Theo, just wondering if he has a certain philosophy.  But does he pour all his resources into hitting and just use FA to pluck pitchers up?  I never see many Cubs pitching prospects on these lists. 

I've seen a little bit of love for Trevor Clifton and Oscar de la Cruz.

Just not mega hype.

1 minute ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I've seen a little bit of love for Trevor Clifton and Oscar de la Cruz.

Just not mega hype.

I actually think it is pretty smart if his philosophy is what I am alluding to.  The bust rate for young pitchers is so high given injury rate with TJ spike over the years.  It seems smarter to develop an abundance of hitters to then either trade for proven pitchers, or use FA to sign established starters.  IE Lackey, Lester who have long established track records of being durable starters in baseball.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

I actually think it is pretty smart if his philosophy is what I am alluding to.  The bust rate for young pitchers is so high given injury rate with TJ spike over the years.  It seems smarter to develop an abundance of hitters to then either trade for proven pitchers, or use FA to sign established starters.  IE Lackey, Lester who have long established track records of being durable starters in baseball.

TINSTAAP in action? (I hate the acronym, because obviously there are pitching prospects...but that's the theory)

It's not exactly true though, look at their drafts, they've signed a TON of pitchers.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=chc&year=2016

I forgot Dylan Cease, he's another guy that's gotten some love.

Just happens that they've hit on a ton of hitters in recent years.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

The Cubs have had an abundance of bats over the last couple of years and have more on the way.

Not to nitpick but Soler was brought up in 2014 and had 89 ABs.  He still qualified as a rookie in 2015

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

13 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He's the anti-Braves philosophy... but it's pretty smart.  I think more teams should pick one or the other and figure out what they're best at.  The Cubs have an eye for hitting talent, and do a great job developing it.  Theo can then trade from that surplus, or grab SPs from the waiver wire.

I'm actually pretty happy with the approach Atlanta has taken, though.  In the post-Money Ball era, there aren't many market inefficiencies left, but the biggest one in my mind is cost-controlled pitching.  Atlanta has now assembled a pipeline of pitchers stretching from AAA to rookie ball.  Bust rate will likely be high, but they'll have more than they need hit too, so like Theo's bats, Atlanta is likely to have a surplus of arms. 

In 2015, guys like Price and Greinke got $200MM+ for 6 or 7 years.  Then dudes like Mike Leake got $80MM over 5 years, Ian Kennedy got $70MM over 5 years, Wei-Yen Chen got $80MM over 5 years, and Brett Anderson got $16MM for 1 year.  Mike Freaking Pelfrey got $16MM over 2 years.  When you build a rotation like the Mets will soon enjoy when Wheeler is back, where Harvey is the most expensive guy at $4.3MM, then de Grom gets $600K, Thor $530K, and Matz $515K... man.  THAT's the market inefficiency, especially for cash-strapped teams.  The entire Mets rotation, even including Bartolo Colon's $7.25MM is less than what the Marlins are paying Chen for a single season.  The game has just made starting pitching INSANELY expensive.  I just hope others don't catch on before Atlanta completely corners the market.

2 people like this