Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CWS

Every time I see a new reply in this thread I pounce on it thinking a report will be posted stating a promotion is taking place.  I'm thinking the odds of a promotion are less than ten percent though.  No reason to give up the extra year of service time for a bad team.

Yahoo sports is reporting todaythat he should be up "shortly" for what thats worth. He has less holes than moncada did and they called him up right around tbis time last year. At this point though,hes either on a team stashed so youre not picking him up or if youve been stashing him,you're not dropping him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Yahoo sports is reporting todaythat he should be up "shortly" for what thats worth. He has less holes than moncada did and they called him up right around tbis time last year. At this point though,hes either on a team stashed so youre not picking him up or if youve been stashing him,you're not dropping him.

Unfortunately, it wasn't Yahoo or a report from any type of source within the organization, it was merely a Rotoworld speculative blurb that stated "Jimenez is absolutely ready to go. He should be with the White Sox shortly. He should be with the White Sox already, though."

I don't see a call up prior to September when the rosters expand, with no guarantee of everyday playing time until somewhere in the early portion of the 2019 season.

There's no service time advantage to keeping him down another month+. I think he's up within a week or so. He's hitting the cover off the ball, playing acceptable defense, and not striking out. There's nothing more for him to learn at AAA, so let him get his lumps over the last 1/3 of the major league season before starting fresh in 2019 with a little experience under his belt. It's what they did with Moncada last year. While injuries and inconsistency have slowed his development, I still think it's a decent strategy for a rebuilding squad to take, especially one that allegedly believes they can make a run at a WC in 2019. 

• Like 1

Several articles from last night:

"White Sox lose another game. And no, Eloy Jimenez and Michael Kopech aren't expected here any time soon."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-blue-jays-20180727-story.html

""Every player’s development path is a different one, so no one should’ve expected the White Sox to promote Jimenez a year to the day of Moncada’s 2017 call up. Hahn pointed out some differences in the two players’ paths. Moncada had several months at Triple-A and also went through a period of struggles, which I suppose is somewhat ironically important to the development,” Hahn said. “It’s not just looking for an extended period of success. That’s wonderful, we’d love for these guys to just continue to have success after success as we promote them up through the chain and through Chicago. But in reality, there is going to be some setbacks along the way, there’s going to be some adversity. And becoming equipped to deal with that adversity is an important part of development. Moncada had that last year. You’ve seen him have to rely upon those tools at times this year, whether it was because of the hamstring injury or subsequent slumps after he came off the DL."

“So that was a different animal. He had some specific things defensively he needed to handle. He did. We got to the point last year with Yoan where we really couldn’t test him anymore, from a defensive standpoint, down there. He needed the speed of the game that you cannot replicate from the major league level as the next way of showing him what he needed to do to improve and become the potential impact player we view him to be at the big league level.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/despite-increasingly-impressive-performances-white-sox-staying-course-eloy-jimenez-and-michael-kopech

Edited by Dark One

s---, it really sounds like they're BSing in an effort to justify not calling him up until next season to get an extra year before he becomes a FA. He rocked through Spring Training and AA and then got promoted to AAA, where he's promptly hit .383/.422/.691 with 15 XBH and just 10 Ks in 25 games. Bring him up tomorrow and there's a 50/50 chance he's the best hitter on the White Sox the rest of the year. The "adversity" he needs to experience can come at the ML level, Rick. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Hahn is a complete buffoon.

Obviously he doesn’t own him on his fantasy team...SMH

Guys, look.  He's not eligible for parole I mean probation until his secret list of chores for Hahny is complete . . .

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/white-sox-eloy-jimenez-is-ready-for-his-call-up/

What else could be on that checklist? Switch-hitting? Throwing a knuckleball? Learning Mandarin?

“They know what’s on the list,” Hahn said. “I’m not going to sit here and tell you things our players can’t do.”

Great, that settles it.

• Haha 3

2 more hits and 2 walks tonight. Plus another HR. Now slashing .396/.443/.729. There's only so much more BS Hahn can dish out before they have to promote Eloy. 

• Like 2

His OPS  is almost 1.200! At this point,the expectations will be astronomical when he finally does come up,whenever thAt will be.  The pressure will be immense.  Common sense dictates that this would stunt his development if he doesn’t deliver.  I’m hoping that the White Sox’s are trying to shop their outfielders before the deadline or something.  

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

His OPS  is almost 1.200! At this point,the expectations will be astronomical when he finally does come up,whenever thAt will be.  The pressure will be immense.  Common sense dictates that this would stunt his development if he doesn’t deliver.  I’m hoping that the White Sox’s are trying to shop their outfielders before the deadline or something.  

Eloy is too well put together between the ears to let a slump or expectations get to him, I think. But also, bringing him up when you're 1100 games out of the playoff hunt in the dog days of summer is much less stressful than having him come up at the beginning of the year. So there's really no reason not to do it. 

In my mind he's leapfrogged Vladdy and Tatis. This is the #1 guy not playing in the bigs right now, and he's more ready than Moncada was when they brought him up a year ago. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, STLSU said:

And to think he represents only 2nd biggest hype this year in the minors.... What a year!

• Like 1

Would love to see Jimenez called up, he deserves it. He is a perfect example of why the rules of eligibility should change, since I don’t think it’s good for the game that obvious call ups like Eloy are kept in the minors.

That said, I don’t blame the Sox for trying to hang on to him as long as possible, especially since they have no playoff hopes this year.

Where is Eloy going to go in redraft leagues next season?  I could see around pick #105.

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Where is Eloy going to go in redraft leagues next season?  I could see around pick #105.

Man,im betting super 2 next year and no call up this year. I think acuna was around round 5 or 6 this year and benintendi was 7 or 8 the year prior for some context.  Whenever he goes,youll have to overdraft to get him and it almost Definately wont be worth the cost.

If its a AAA draft though,he should go first overall because he'll probably be there all year.

Edited by Cesare13

14 hours ago, Steve gar said:

Would love to see Jimenez called up, he deserves it. He is a perfect example of why the rules of eligibility should change, since I don’t think it’s good for the game that obvious call ups like Eloy are kept in the minors.

That said, I don’t blame the Sox for trying to hang on to him as long as possible, especially since they have no playoff hopes this year.

Yeah, this super 2 stuff, etc is bad for the game and for it's fans. It's not fair to fans or organizations that have extreme talents ready for MLB sitting away in the minors to save money in the long run. 

6 hours ago, Watermock said:

Yeah, this super 2 stuff, etc is bad for the game and for it's fans. It's not fair to fans or organizations that have extreme talents ready for MLB sitting away in the minors to save money in the long run. 

Hopefully it’s fixed in next CBA.  Must suck as a player with no left to prove in minors but having to wait because of financial reasons.  I get it from an organizational standpoint and why they do it.  But there has to be a way to alter it.  If you’re ready, call them up.

• Like 1

Jimenez seems more than ready to be a major leaguer, having ripped Southern League pitching at Class AA Birmingham and now escalating his performance in the International League for Charlotte where he batted .435/.455/.839 with six homers and 13 RBI in 16 games last month. General manager Rick Hahn was there to see him Wednesday, even though Jimenez had the day off, sparking speculation a call-up might be imminent, perhaps made-for-national TV worthy with a Sox’ home game Monday against the Yankees added by ESPN this week.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/?post_type=cst_article&p=1269832

*fingers crossed*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1