Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CWS

https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/09/04/no-eloy-jimenez-for-no-reason/

Even after accounting for the givens, the Jimenez situation is profoundly annoying when framed like this. Jimenez came to mind during one of the few grand lines of Hawk Harrelson’s speech on Sunday:

“When you take a man’s money, you take a man’s money. When you take a man’s time, you take a part of his life. And I want to thank you all, thank you all, for giving me almost 35 years of your time.”

what do u guys think about him this year. I know hes highly touted but realistic expectation coming out of the gate?

My guess would be after his call up something like 18 homers, .270/.320. Looking for him in 2020 to be more of a beast.

Starting bid for Eloy on Yahoo is at $12. Gotta imagine that comes down a little when rankings are adjusted. 

On 1/30/2019 at 10:41 AM, floppy said:

what do u guys think about him this year. I know hes highly touted but realistic expectation coming out of the gate?

he's not Gyarados yet but I think he'll be good from the start. Confident he'll go from a big name to a legitimate star in the league very quickly. 

let's say he gets sort of a "rookie's" full season... I'd peg him for something like .269/.336/.503 with 25 yacks 

Moncada was expected to come out hitting. If memory serves me correctly he was highly touted more than Eloy but not as much as Vlad. Here we are three years later? Maybe he falls into that 60 % top  5 prospect failure rate ? Vlad is the only player I was willing to give up the farm for. Eloy? Maybe a condo.

• Like 1

Eloy reminds me more of Edwin Encarnacion. I’m hoping for something more like that as time unfolds.

2019 Steamer projections:  559 PA, 26 HR, 85 RBI, 101 K, .295 BA, .855 OPS

If it wasn’t for Vlad he would probably be considered as the ROY favorite.

I've seen him hit HR at high strikes and almost seemingly in his tippy toes.  Man emenates power all over the yard.  Can't wait to see some blastworks from Eloy and Vlad!  April early teenish is our hope to see them get in the box and onto the diamond and field in 2109, ..er 2019

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, motown magic said:

Moncada was expected to come out hitting. If memory serves me correctly he was highly touted more than Eloy but not as much as Vlad. Here we are three years later? Maybe he falls into that 60 % top  5 prospect failure rate ? Vlad is the only player I was willing to give up the farm for. Eloy? Maybe a condo.

First off Moncada isn't even 23 yet, to call him a failure right now is just a joke.  Last year for him was derailed by injuries so he couldn't make any improvements, but one thing is very true, he has RAW talent that not many have, which is why he was touted so highly.  He has one simple problem, which is plate discipline/making contact and this is why you can't compare Eloy and Moncada at all.

Last year Eloy had a 32/69 k/b ratio.  Moncada at the same age of 21 had a 72/124 bb/k ratio.  Sure he walked more and his obp was actually better than Eloys at the same age, but he was playing in single-A for the majority of that year, while at the same age Eloy split his time 50/50 between AA and AAA last year, facing MUCH better and more polished pitching.  Once Moncada reached the majors the pitchers just tore apart his lack of a hit tool.  The whole point here is that Eloy's hit tool is on a different level than Moncada's and the way he has seamlessly progressed through the minors is a great sign for how it will translate in the majors.

Fantasy wise Moncada still has insane upside with his power/speed combo and I'm willing to bet he becomes an absolute star one day, but he has a lot to work on first and it may take him years to get on base enough to be a true fantasy asset.  Eloy on the other hand has two plus plus tools in his hit/power combo and it's hard to think they won't make an immediate impact in the majors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

First off Moncada isn't even 23 yet, to call him a failure right now is just a joke.  Last year for him was derailed by injuries so he couldn't make any improvements, but one thing is very true, he has RAW talent that not many have, which is why he was touted so highly.  He has one simple problem, which is plate discipline/making contact and this is why you can't compare Eloy and Moncada at all.

Last year Eloy had a 32/69 k/b ratio.  Moncada at the same age of 21 had a 72/124 bb/k ratio.  Sure he walked more and his obp was actually better than Eloys at the same age, but he was playing in single-A for the majority of that year, while at the same age Eloy split his time 50/50 between AA and AAA last year, facing MUCH better and more polished pitching.  Once Moncada reached the majors the pitchers just tore apart his lack of a hit tool.  The whole point here is that Eloy's hit tool is on a different level than Moncada's and the way he has seamlessly progressed through the minors is a great sign for how it will translate in the majors.

Fantasy wise Moncada still has insane upside with his power/speed combo and I'm willing to bet he becomes an absolute star one day, but he has a lot to work on first and it may take him years to get on base enough to be a true fantasy asset.  Eloy on the other hand has two plus plus tools in his hit/power combo and it's hard to think they won't make an immediate impact in the majors.

First off I didn't call him a failure. Reread what I said. I said MAYBE he falls into that 60% group. You can say he's only 23 . Every year I keep hearing the same thing about Buxton. He's only 22 He's only 23 He's only 24 . And many of you wait and wait. I'm not saying Moncada is a bust. I'm saying the hopes of stardom may not come. He could end up being just a good player. Nothing wrong with that.

Sounds like he will presumingly serve the minimum 2 weeks in the minors for service time to this point. Anybody hear anything to the contrary?

16 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Well, the would be great for 2019.  That should allow him to start the season in the majors!

HUGE NEWS!

Service time issues basically thrown out the window. I'd be surprised if he's not starting Opening Day.

Edited by Sidearmer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

HUGE NEWS!

Service time issues basically thrown out the window. I'd be surprised if he's not starting Opening Day.

Not necessarily. If they have him start opening day, it would basically be admitting that sending him down in the first place was 100% only because of service time (we all know it was). I just don't see the White Sox admitting that.

• Thanks 1

Well this definitely throws a wrench in some last minute drafts.  Seen his ADP in the 100-130 range depending on the platform.  Gotta imagine this is a solid bump to those numbers no?

59 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Not necessarily. If they have him start opening day, it would basically be admitting that sending him down in the first place was 100% only because of service time (we all know it was). I just don't see the White Sox admitting that.

What are you talking about.  He never was sent down in the first place since he never was called up.

The full details:

Hector Gomez of Deportivo Z 101 in the Dominican Republic reports that the White Sox are in agreement on an eight-year extension with top outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez.

ESPN's Jeff Passan is hearing something similar, though he adds that only the first six years of the deal will be guaranteed. There are club options for years seven and eight. The total guaranteed money will be $43 million, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Jimenez has yet to appear in a game at the major league level, but he ranks as one of the top prospects in the sport and locking him up with some cost certainty could very well encourage the White Sox to promote him to the major league roster more quickly than they would have otherwise. He could even possibly be their starting right fielder on Opening Day. Jimenez, 22, batted .337/.384/.577 with 22 home runs and 75 RBI over 108 games last year between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte. He also lit it up in the Dominican Winter League this past offseason.

Source: Hector Gomez on Twitter                              Mar 20, 2019, 2:39 PM

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What are you talking about.  He never was sent down in the first place since he never was called up.

The full details:

What are YOU talking about? Optioned. Sent down. Whatever. Being combative from your keyboard doesn't help anyone. He was sent down to minor leagues from spring training. It was done because of service time with the intent to delay his Major League call up. I thought this was common knowledge?

The "full details" you shared literally tells me nothing that I don't already know nor do they have anything to do with what I said.

I'm confused as to what you're not understanding and why you are attempting at being argumentative?

Edited by ThreadKiller

4 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

What are YOU talking about? Optioned. Sent down. Whatever. Being combative from your keyboard doesn't help anyone. He was sent down to minor leagues from spring training. It was done because of service time.

The "full details" you shared literally tell me nothing that I don't already know nor do they have anything to do with what I said.

I'm confused as to what you're not understanding and why you are attempting at being argumentative?

I'm not being combative.  He has never had one single AB at the major league level.  The team hasn't broken camp yet.  So no he has not been sent down officially.  He is still on the 40 man roster.  They have used no options on him at all yet.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory