Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CWS

I'd take Eloy.  Cubs have a better player development track record than Nats.  As far as we know if Dusty is in Wash than he'd take a 41 year old Werth over a ripe Robles.  A lot can change between now and then, IE trades, managerial change etc.  But all things considered right now I trust the Cubs more to find at bats for Eloy when the time comes, more than I'd trust the Nats.

• Like 3

I've got a front row seat on the Eloy Jimenez hype train. Very glad I snagged him in my other dynasty league. Here is a pretty good news story on him from South Bend TV station with plenty of highlights of him hitting bombs.

SB Cubs slugger Jimenez displays big league power, patience

Edited by PavementRunner94
  • Like 1

Eloy was back at it in yesterday's double header:

4/4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 Runs, 4 RBI, 2 BBs, 0 K's. 

• Like 2

Eloy strikes again, 4-5 2 2Bs and a Grand Slam. 

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 1

Eloy is now 20/34 in his last nine games.  En Fuego

Edited by tucker26

Cubs are sending Eloy to Winter ball; it's not very often they take someone who hasn't even seen A+ and send them to winter ball so this is a very big honor for Eloy and and extremely big challenge. He'll mostly be facing AA and AAA competition.

• Like 1

So last week Eloy hit a ball 119.4MPH, no one other than Stanton has hit a ball harder since the emergence of statcast.

3 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

So last week Eloy hit a ball 119.4MPH, no one other than Stanton has hit a ball harder since the emergence of statcast.

Yep -- he hit it off a BP pitch, and the 119.4 hit was actually a grounder, but he's mashed a few in the AFL.

let's be realisitc.  He has a 5.1% walk rate.  I can name on one hand the really good players who have a 5.1% walk rate.  This is in low A ball.  When he gets to high A ball, the walk rate will lower, k rate will increase (is normal this way).  Average will go down.  In majors, a DEFINITE decrease in walk rate, increase in k rate.  It happens to everyone.  If Eloy cannot take a walk, and strikes out, his average will plummet.  Even Stanton (a comparison)...had a good walk rate in AA.  

14 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

let's be realisitc.  He has a 5.1% walk rate.  I can name on one hand the really good players who have a 5.1% walk rate.  This is in low A ball.  When he gets to high A ball, the walk rate will lower, k rate will increase (is normal this way).  Average will go down.  In majors, a DEFINITE decrease in walk rate, increase in k rate.  It happens to everyone.  If Eloy cannot take a walk, and strikes out, his average will plummet.  Even Stanton (a comparison)...had a good walk rate in AA.  

He's 19 dude. Plenty of time to improve his discipline. And he comps to Adam Jones...would anyone here be disappointed if that is what he is?

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

So you're saying that if a 19 year old kid doesn't develop at all he won't be a good MLBer? Shocking...

5 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

He's 19 dude. Plenty of time to improve his discipline. And he comps to Adam Jones...would anyone here be disappointed if that is what he is?

3 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

So you're saying that if a 19 year old kid doesn't develop at all he won't be a good MLBer? Shocking...

I am saying, look at good MLB players and their walk rates at HIS level right now.  They had already developed.  Because, unlike you all are implying, walk rates tend to go DOWN with each level, especially when going to majors.  And do not give  me some of the only exceptions to the rule- like any rule, there are exceptions- but in GENERAL, it is not good to be having such a low walk rate at such a low level

No they don't...

Walk rates in the low minor is only reflection of passiveness...not strike zone control.  Low minors pitchers tend to throw a lot of meat balls and junk.. It can go either way with the level passiveness a young hitter may have

So no.. at this stage. He's no Joey Votto or Carlos Santana...but that doesn't mean he's going to be a Jonathan Schoop either..

The fact that he has such a healthy K rate and Contact rate is far better sign then whatever his walk rate is..  Just because he's jumping on all those meat balls doesn't mean he's chasing everything..

Seriously its pretty well known that in the low minors. Walk rate has fringy correlation to MLB sucess. Once they get to AA then you start seeing walk rates.. At this level.. K% and age to level are the main stats to track..along with ISO

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I am saying, look at good MLB players and their walk rates at HIS level right now.  They had already developed.  Because, unlike you all are implying, walk rates tend to go DOWN with each level, especially when going to majors.  And do not give  me some of the only exceptions to the rule- like any rule, there are exceptions- but in GENERAL, it is not good to be having such a low walk rate at such a low level

Most good MLB players (and most MLB players period) are still amateurs at his age

20 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

Most good MLB players (and most MLB players period) are still amateurs at his age

22 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

No they don't...

Walk rates in the low minor is only reflection of passiveness...not strike zone control.  Low minors pitchers tend to throw a lot of meat balls and junk.. It can go either way with the level passiveness a young hitter may have

So no.. at this stage. He's no Joey Votto or Carlos Santana...but that doesn't mean he's going to be a Jonathan Schoop either..

The fact that he has such a healthy K rate and Contact rate is far better sign then whatever his walk rate is..  Just because he's jumping on all those meat balls doesn't mean he's chasing everything..

Seriously its pretty well known that in the low minors. Walk rate has fringy correlation to MLB sucess. Once they get to AA then you start seeing walk rates.. At this level.. K% and age to level are the main stats to track..along with ISO

Am I crazy or do I see, when I look at the minor league stats of most players, a good walk rate in all levels of minors?

18 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Am I crazy or do I see, when I look at the minor league stats of most players, a good walk rate in all levels of minors?

Crazy? No. But is it a prerequisite? No

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Its obviously not NEEDED, I am just saying it is not a good thing

Oh absolutely. My point was he's so young that even though it's not a good thing it could easily change

50 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Oh absolutely. My point was he's so young that even though it's not a good thing it could easily change

My point is also sort of that it typically does not increase as you go through stiffer competition, except in outliers

After all that negative, here's some positive.

Here's a list of players, who like Eloy, have won MVP of the MWL at age 19 or earlier since 2000.

Byron Buxton

Mike Trout

Prince Fielder

Adrian Gonzalez

Albert Pujols

• Like 3

On 10/25/2016 at 7:08 PM, Fbaseballgod said:

My point is also sort of that it typically does not increase as you go through stiffer competition, except in outliers

You need to understand how age to level works.. 

The average age in A ball is 21-22.. What you said is true for college prospects and anyone near the league age to level..

Eloy was 19 this year.. He was facing guys older than him. Not the same age.. So that point you made is not as relevent

Edited by Slatykamora