Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CWS

5 hours ago, garlando said:

Eloy Jimenez being the minors player with arguably the most raw power, you can't help but get excited at the thought of him playing half his home games at Guaranteed Rate Field (awful name btw) in the future with its HR tendencies. 

Will soon be more like Guaranteed Homer Field when Eloy hits town.

26 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I really don't like this for the Cubs. 

I can understand a team like Boston trading Moncada for a top-3 pitcher like Sale... but Jimenez is a monster of a prospect, I think he could have fetched a Darvish-level pitcher. 

Don't get me wrong I like Quintana, but I feel like Eloy is deceptively close to being big league ready (mid-2018?) and would have formed an unfathomably potent offensive core with Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber

If I were Epstein, I would have preferred to send off a mid-level prospect for a Trevor Cahill type, rather than send off a potential Giancarlo-type for Jose Quintana. 

Agreed, Cease for Cahill would have got it done you'd imagine, adding in another low level prospect or two.

13 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Will soon be more like Guaranteed Homer Field when Eloy hits town.

Or Guaranteed Hard Hit Rate to our resident posters

I'm trying to remember - Jim Bowden always talks about how Theo Epstein told him that Eloy Jimenez is like ___who was it? He compared him to someone great like Ken Griffey Jr., who was it? has anyone heard that?

Edited by pbjfb

24 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I'm trying to remember - Jim Bowden always talks about how Theo Epstein told him that Eloy Jimenez is like ___who was it? He compared him to someone great like Ken Griffey Jr., who was it? has anyone heard that?

Sure JR wasn't the comp. can't be comparing prospects to once in a generation player.....

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Miggy if I remember the piece you're talking about correctly and Jed Hoyer has said there were many in the FO who that they had a second Kris Bryant.in Eloy.

8 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I really don't like this for the Cubs. 

I can understand a team like Boston trading Moncada for a top-3 pitcher like Sale... but Jimenez is a monster of a prospect, I think he could have fetched a Darvish-level pitcher. 

Don't get me wrong I like Quintana, but I feel like Eloy is deceptively close to being big league ready (mid-2018?) and would have formed an unfathomably potent offensive core with Bryant/Rizzo/Schwarber

If I were Epstein, I would have preferred to send off a mid-level prospect for a Trevor Cahill type, rather than send off a potential Giancarlo-type for Jose Quintana. 

Cahill does nothing for the Cubs. People don't seem to be getting this at all. This move was not done with 2017 in mind, it was done with the next 3.5 years in mind. After this season the Cubs will lose Arrieta and Lackey which leaves them with Lester/Hendricks/Montgomery. Theo was very clear he wanted someone with lots of control, rentals were never an option. Now he'll go into the off season only needing to fill 1 rotation spot with the roughly 40M they'll have to spend on upgrades.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Cahill does nothing for the Cubs. People don't seem to be getting this at all. This move was not done with 2017 in mind, it was done with the next 3.5 years in mind. After this season the Cubs will lose Arrieta and Lackey which leaves them with Lester/Hendricks/Montgomery. Theo was very clear he wanted someone with lots of control, rentals were never an option. Now he'll go into the off season only needing to fill 1 rotation spot with the roughly 40M they'll have to spend on upgrades.

THIS

The trade risk is ALL on the White Sox here.  They traded for two very young minor leaguers/players and hoping that they get a hearty return for a cost controlled SP2.  The Cubs very much know what they are getting in Quintana.

Love Cease's arm - his challenge is going to be health, ability to control his secondary pitches and the White Sox determining if they can utilize him as a starter or reliever.

Eloy has a chance to be a very special player - it's just unfortunate it won't be with the Cubs.  

Edited by IlliniGuy76

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I agree with everything you are saying. I think the Cubs will go all in on Ohtani...

When this trade first went down my thought was Eloy is vastly over rated, it was a great sell high by The Cubs.

But hot damn this man has raked for The White Sox farm system so far.  Still think his prospect ranking is too high considering there are better and  younger hitting prospects out there.

3 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

can you expand on what he has done? Thanks

He went like 5/9 with a couple homers if I recall correctly. Looks like he is handling AA just fine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigbossman said:

mid-season callup next year?

Looks like it. 3 more hits tonight. Hitting nearly .370 since the promotion. I imagine he'll be in AAA early next season and if he handles that well, he (along with Kopech) could be joining the big league club next summer.

White Sox rebuild just flying along. 

2 hours ago, supsto99 said:

Have read many great things about Jimenez.  Should I take a late round flyer on him and what does his upside look like?

Not in a redraft league. 

59 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Not in a redraft league. 

I could see a cup of coffee in September if he is killing it all year, but I do not expect much more.

Would be a nice litmus test to see where he stands for next season.

52 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I could see a cup of coffee in September if he is killing it all year, but I do not expect much more.

Would be a nice litmus test to see where he stands for next season.

Agree. He was asking about a late round flier. In a redraft league, there's no sense in holding him for that reason, unless it's a 20 team league with a ton of bench spots. Ok, that's a stretch, but for standard leagues, he's just not worth a hold. If you hear rumblings about a mid summer call up, by all means, add him then. 

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

Agree. He was asking about a late round flier. In a redraft league, there's no sense in holding him for that reason, unless it's a 20 team league with a ton of bench spots. Ok, that's a stretch, but for standard leagues, he's just not worth a hold. If you hear rumblings about a mid summer call up, by all means, add him then. 

I agree. I probably shouldn't have quoted you, haha. I was not disagreeing just speculating on how much time he may see.

• Like 1

So he got 7 at bats in big league camp . He hit. 571 with 2 HR, 3 RBI and a 2.381 OPS. If he continues to rake in AA then gets promoted to AAA in May and then rakes there, I don't see why he can't force a call up after the super 2 cutoff. I would take a flyer for sure in redraft if you have a spot for him.

Don’t think he’s up this year enough to make an impact at all?