Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CWS

39 minutes ago, floppy said:

Don’t think he’s up this year enough to make an impact at all? 

I think only if he absolutely mashes does he come up earlier than September. The organization has absolutely no reason to rush him. As others have suggested, keep him on the watch list and keep checking for updates. No need to clog up your roster unless you have an available NA slot or equivalent.

10 hours ago, Dark One said:

I think only if he absolutely mashes does he come up earlier than September. The organization has absolutely no reason to rush him. As others have suggested, keep him on the watch list and keep checking for updates. No need to clog up your roster unless you have an available NA slot or equivalent.

i do have an available NA spot but its usually used for someone used for this year to make an impact. thats why i ask. i notice u replied to this thread for me as well as the senzel one. there are a lot of NA available. looking for one to come up and make an impact sooner than later (i already have acuna)

23 minutes ago, legia13 said:

2 - 4 with 2 solo home runs tonight. 

That was last night but yea, Him and Vlad Jr are going to have their way with Double A pitching 

20 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

That was last night but yea, Him and Vlad Jr are going to have their way with Double A pitching 

Scratch that, I just looked at the scores and it said the final for Sunday, not sure why

Should have room for him before too long, Engel has been given multiple chances now and proven he can't hit major league pitching, Yolmer Sanchez could give up 3B to Davidson allowing Eloy to DH, Delmonico or Thompson could lose playing time.  Once they deem he's ready, there are no road blocks for the White Sox.

Yolmer is a ~3 WAR player almost solely because of his GG caliber defense at third. He's going to be glued to the bag all year, no matter how many homers MD hits.

I would guess that Eloy becomes the everyday LF by the ASB, with Delmonico becoming the odd man out. 

• Like 1

If you're the Sox why start his service time clock this season?  With or without Eloy you're not contending.  So I would think promoting Kopech and Eloy after April 15th 2019 would make sense for the long term.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

If you're the Sox why start his service time clock this season?  With or without Eloy you're not contending.  So I would think promoting Kopech and Eloy after April 15th 2019 would make sense for the long term.

Two reasons:

1) Both Eloy and Kopech have been vocal about wanting to get to the big leagues as soon as possible. The White Sox have followed through when telling guys in the past (Sale, Anderson, Rodon) that they would get the call whenever they were ready. This sort of thing builds organizational trust, which can be helpful down the line. Why risk pissing off Jimenez by keeping him in the minors if he hits .340 and slugs .700+?

2) Hahn has talked about the Sox window opening a year early in 2019. If that's really the case, you let guys like Kopech and Eloy get their growing pains at the ML level over and done with this year so they're better prepared to meaningfully contribute next season. 

• Like 3

On 5/9/2018 at 12:55 PM, sleepysock said:

Two reasons:

1) Both Eloy and Kopech have been vocal about wanting to get to the big leagues as soon as possible. The White Sox have followed through when telling guys in the past (Sale, Anderson, Rodon) that they would get the call whenever they were ready. This sort of thing builds organizational trust, which can be helpful down the line. Why risk pissing off Jimenez by keeping him in the minors if he hits .340 and slugs .700+?

2) Hahn has talked about the Sox window opening a year early in 2019. If that's really the case, you let guys like Kopech and Eloy get their growing pains at the ML level over and done with this year so they're better prepared to meaningfully contribute next season. 

I used to think this was a smart move by the organization as well, but are there really that many players out there that are going to factor this in 5 years down the line when FA time comes? Is Eloy gonna give them a discount for calling him up this year vs next? I imagine $$$ is all that’s gonna matter, with chance to win possibly factoring in to where there sign. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, mavsfan23 said:

I used to think this was a smart move by the organization as well, but are there really that many players out there that are going to factor this in 5 years down the line when FA time comes? Is Eloy gonna give them a discount for calling him up this year vs next? I imagine $$$ is all that’s gonna matter, with chance to win possibly factoring in to where there sign. 

Well they'll be more likely to sign those early sweetheart deals like Sale, Eaton, Q, and Tim Anderson did through and beyond their years of team control that can add incredible value both in payroll flexibility and in trades. The White Sox benefitted both ways, even if literally every FA they tried to bring in with that extra $$ pretty much shat the bed, leading to them trading away those assets for 100+ cents on the dollar. 

• Like 1

Organizations have habits like people have habits. So @sleepysock's point about organizational trust is a good one. Whether or not I think allowing contractual issues to govern promotion is "smart" or "competitive", when a guy moves from an org with a track record of doing so (like the Cubs) to one that has given player development equal weight (like the White Sox or the Braves) he gets an asterisk. I'm guessing that if Eloy and Kopech play well, they come up.

FWIW, from a business standpoint acting in good faith with your employees pays off, even when it's less apparent on the balance sheet (^^trade bounty mentioned above is case in point). And holding a guy down when he's ready to contribute so that you can pay him less than he's worth down the road is not in good faith. 

Keep seeing articles speculating he may be coming up 2 weeks from now.  Anyone who follows Chicago know if this is accurate?

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Keep seeing articles speculating he may be coming up 2 weeks from now.  Anyone who follows Chicago know if this is accurate?

I'd like to know too.  Of all the needs on my team power hitting outfielder ranks at the top.

All I know is with the rash of young impact players being called up, I wouldn't look past anything now. However, a team as s--- as the White Sox may not do it...

On 5/21/2018 at 10:37 PM, AHF said:

Can you post the links to a few of the articles?  Would like to see if they're from sources with halfway decent reputations.  If there is a legitimate chance of a call up prior to the all star break I'd gladly give him a roster spot and wait for a month or so.