Tryptamine

Eloy Jimenez - OF CWS

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Watermock said:

This isn't really rumors per se, but arguments for being called up shortly after the June arbitration cut off date. Jeff Passan quotes. 

 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-eloy-jimenez-greenstein-20180523-story.html

So the idea of keeping him in Triple A until after April 15th 2019........that's likely not a perspective the Sox have?  If they're promoting based on merit and not finances seems like a call up within the next month or so seems realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i cannot fathom why the sox would call him up this year. they're going nowhere this year, and likely going nowhere next year. why start the service clock on him now when you can wait until next season and not likely affect any team outcomes. if it looks like the team could make a push next season, or he obliterates AAA to the point where it's extremely difficult to justify waiting on 2019 super 2, then he's a team control guy two weeks into season.

like a few other prospects, i would love to see him get the call this year, but i can't see how it's smart business for the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

i cannot fathom why the sox would call him up this year. they're going nowhere this year, and likely going nowhere next year. why start the service clock on him now when you can wait until next season and not likely affect any team outcomes. if it looks like the team could make a push next season, or he obliterates AAA to the point where it's extremely difficult to justify waiting on 2019 super 2, then he's a team control guy two weeks into season.

like a few other prospects, i would love to see him get the call this year, but i can't see how it's smart business for the team.

That's the perspective I have.  With or without Eloy the Sox are going to be terrible.  So why have one less year of team control with a promotion this year.

 

Others though seem to think the Sox will base an Eloy promotion off of merit, rather than service time. 

Edited by Magnus88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

That's the perspective I have.  With or without Eloy the Sox are going to be terrible.  So why have one less year of team control with a promotion this year.

 

Others though seem to think the Sox will base an Eloy promotion off of merit, rather than service time. 

 

I'd hope players would get promoted based on merit, but in Baseball that's not usually the case thanks to weird rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple questions for you guys:

 

What do we make of the lower BB% and lower K% in 2018?  Isn’t it likely that he walks less and Ks more once in the majors?  

 

Early in his thread, Eloy was getting Soler comps.  Does that still hold true or is there better (non-Stanton/Judge) comps out there?  

 

I’m noticing a tendency for him to pull the ball (over 50% in 2018) If you could put a percentage chance on it, what are the odds that Eloy gets hammered on the outside of the plate and ends up scuffling until he figures it out?  

 

Last question:  when will MILB have all the same data as MLB?  The lack of data makes me feel like they don’t want us to have it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wifflegod said:

Couple questions for you guys:

 

What do we make of the lower BB% and lower K% in 2018?  Isn’t it likely that he walks less and Ks more once in the majors?  

 

Early in his thread, Eloy was getting Soler comps.  Does that still hold true or is there better (non-Stanton/Judge) comps out there?  

 

I’m noticing a tendency for him to pull the ball (over 50% in 2018) If you could put a percentage chance on it, what are the odds that Eloy gets hammered on the outside of the plate and ends up scuffling until he figures it out?  

 

Last question:  when will MILB have all the same data as MLB?  The lack of data makes me feel like they don’t want us to have it.

 

Based on the current metrics I would say he Ks 20% and walls 10% in the majors and hits more homers. I don't know about the soler comps, he seemed to k allot more in the minors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garlando said:

Yes, it’s very likely that Eloy Jimenez will strikeout more and walk less once he reaches the majors, but that happens to pretty much all players as the quality of pitching and control of pitchers is simply that much better in the majors. I’m really not very concerned that it will impact Eloy Jimenez too much because he’s already established a strong floor to work from. For reference, Steamer projections for the rest of the season if he were to be promoted now to the majors have Eloy with a .273/.317/.468 line with a 5.8% walk rate and a 21.6% K rate for a 107 wRC+. In AA this year, Jimenez is currently striking out at a 15.6% rate and he’s supporting that with an 11.1% swinging-strike rate (MLB average right now is 10.6%) which are both very solid. What makes both that much more interesting is that he’s accomplishing both while possessing arguably the most power in the minors with 80-grade raw power. Guys with that kind of power just don’t show the sort of contact skills that Eloy is showing pretty much at all. Here are some examples:

Note that these are MLB career averages*

Name

K%

Swinging-strike%

Joey Gallo

38.6%

19.6%

Aaron Judge

31.6%

13.4%

J.D. Martinez

25.2%

13.8%

Giancarlo Stanton

27.8%

14%

Miguel Sano

36.1%

16%

Khris Davis

26.5%

15%

Nelson Cruz

22.5%

13.2%

Bryce Harper

20.2%

11.3%


Those are guys with elite elite power, and Eloy’s contact skills closest resemble Nelson Cruz, Bryce Harper, and Aaron Judge who are all elite fantasy options. Nelson Cruz might be a very good comparable for Eloy Jimenez!

Also, I put together a quick list of the top wRC+ performers in the Southern League (the league that Jimenez is currently playing in) for an age 21-year-old season (minimum 110 PAs) since Fangraphs has data:

Matt Kemp – 168 (2006)
Eloy Jimenez – 166 (2018)
Evan Longoria – 155 (2007)
Joc Pederson – 155 (2013)
Christian Yelich – 154 (2013)
Tyler O’Neill – 152 (2016)
Nick Franklin – 151 (2012)
Logan Morrison – 142 (2009)

 

You’re the man!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very excited about this kid. I know there is some debate about when he will/should get called up, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him called up this season. Maybe they decide he needs seasoning this season in order to be ready to rock 2019. I dunno. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume he’s getting called up next month. It’s definitely not a matter of if,but when? I’m thinking mid June after Super 2 passes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, radioflyer9 said:

I would assume he’s getting called up next month. It’s definitely not a matter of if,but when? I’m thinking mid June after Super 2 passes 

Couldn't hurt to promote Eloy to Triple-A first.  He'd have a chance to face ex-big leaguers with decent breaking stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want to miss out on him or get beaten to the punch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, Steve Stone -- the ChiSox announcer mentioned today that he thinks Eloy won't be up for a while and that Kopech will come up first and much earlier. Stone was suggesting Eloy to be up like very late, septemberish even.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

For what it's worth, Steve Stone -- the ChiSox announcer mentioned today that he thinks Eloy won't be up for a while and that Kopech will come up first and much earlier. Stone was suggesting Eloy to be up like very late, septemberish even.

 

Any particular reason for Stoney's logic?  did he feel as though Eloy needed an extended run through Triple-A?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

Any particular reason for Stoney's logic?  did he feel as though Eloy needed an extended run through Triple-A?

It seemed like he just assumed/thought that Eloy wasn't ready or polished enough. At least, that's the way I took it.

 

I, as a white sox fan, still think there's a chance he's up around July due to Eloy's recent success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-5 tonight with a HR, 4 RBIs. HR being a grandy. Now batting .331.

 

He's too good for AA. 

Edited by Watermock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

It seemed like he just assumed/thought that Eloy wasn't ready or polished enough. At least, that's the way I took it.

 

I, as a white sox fan, still think there's a chance he's up around July due to Eloy's recent success. 

As a Sox fan I'm assuming you know the organizational philosophy well.  Could you see Chicago keeping Eloy in the minors for the rest of this season, and early next year, to manipulate his service time?  Or will they promote Eloy to the bigs when they feel he's ready?

 

Overall do you expect a promotion at least a few weeks prior to September?  Seriously considering picking up Eloy.  I could use a slugging outfielder really badly.

Edited by Magnus88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Magnus88 said:

As a Sox fan I'm assuming you know the organizational philosophy well.  Could you see Chicago keeping Eloy in the minors for the rest of this season, and early next year, to manipulate his service time?  Or will they promote Eloy to the bigs when they feel he's ready?

 

Overall do you expect a promotion at least a few weeks prior to September?  Seriously considering picking up Eloy.  I could use a slugging outfielder really badly.

I think the Sox will promote him this year, providing he keeps hitting. They aren't going to keep him in the minors solely due to money/service time issues. My bet is that he's up in July, but people within the sox think it'd be a bit later than that (september time call ups).

 

For a more interesting conversation on this: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/105324-eloykopech-could-join-sox-in-mid-july/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahn also stated that players force the issue at times.  I feel like he's in the bigs after Super 2 and ASB (mid July).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, STLSU said:

Hahn also stated that players force the issue at times.  I feel like he's in the bigs after Super 2 and ASB (mid July).

Recent quote?  And was he referring to Eloy specifically with this comment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Recent quote?  And was he referring to Eloy specifically with this comment?

Here is a quote from Passan from the company f/k/a as Yahoo last week.  He did not name a source or state his basis for the reasoning.  He predicts "a couple of weeks."

 

Looking for Hahn quote.  He was referring to possibly skipping AAA.

 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-eloy-jimenez-greenstein-20180523-story.html

Edited by STLSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, STLSU said:

Here is a quote from Passan from the company f/k/a as Yahoo last week.  He did not name a source or state his basis for the reasoning.  He predicts "a couple of weeks."

 

Looking for Hahn quote.  He was referring to possibly skipping AAA.

 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-eloy-jimenez-greenstein-20180523-story.html

So Passan's comment of Eloy being a few weeks away was based purely on his own thought process, and no inside sources?  I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea of the Sox giving away a whole year of team control with a promotion this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

So Passan's comment of Eloy being a few weeks away was based purely on his own thought process, and no inside sources?  I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea of the Sox giving away a whole year of team control with a promotion this year. 

To be fair, he doesn't say the basis of his belief, be it purely speculation or an unknown team source's statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 9:37 PM, AHF said:

Keep seeing articles speculating he may be coming up 2 weeks from now.  Anyone who follows Chicago know if this is accurate?

Chicago here... I added Eloy today. Local papers are calling for him, writing articles to coax the Sox hand. Word on the street sound like he's up before 7/15 If he keeps hitting the way he is. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...