Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowblind

Personal Relationships 2016 Outlook

Obviously anyone who visits these forums regularly is a dedicated fantasy baseball enthusiast. How do you integrate your fantasy baseball activities into your real life? How does your significant other feel about it?

Especially you guys who are in 5+ leagues. Are you single? I'm in five leagues and it takes up enough of my free time that my girlfriend notices. It used to bother her when we first started living together, but now she has come to accept it and doesn't mind watching several hours of baseball per day.

Strange topic maybe, but I'm sure there must be a few funny stories out there.

Interesting thread premise.... I suspect there is some extremely relationship specific features here.... maybe this should be in the AC forum :lol:

Anyhow, my experience: Things get easier as you age, get married and have children. My wife and I are spend many nights with her watching some garbage show about Real Housewives, Shahs or other trashy reality shows while I am sitting there flipping between games on my iPad and/or iPhone. We talk throughout and are able to "spend time" while each enjoying something differently. On night's where we share shows (Sunday nights mostly - GoT, Silicon Valley, Veep, Jon Oliver) or Saturday afternoons, we go out and do stuff... little baseball conflicts those times!

Playing Daily is harder with kids however. On days I play daily, I end up skipping out during dinner/kids bath time to make sure there are no late scratches and lock in lineups before start.

Dudes,

I'm in one league (albeit a competitve one) with my friends and it takes up all my time.

5+ leagues? How is that even possible!

Been doing it a long time. Once playing fantasy for an extended period, you get a feel for guys and who you do/don't want. You also get a good feel for your leaguemates and you know how they operate (some always looking to sell high, some panic and try to trade like the sky is falling after a bad start, some overpay for the next big thing, etc).

Also - being a nerd who can write services to monitor daily activity and alert you when certain things happen (guy owned in over XX% of leagues is dropped, someone on WW gets a save, etc) helps too :)

Two leagues, addicted to MLB extra innings. Wife hates baseball season.

Dudes,

I'm in one league (albeit a competitve one) with my friends and it takes up all my time.

5+ leagues? How is that even possible!

Your user name is a good book.

Look at my post count. If I told you I had a wife and just had my first kid would you believe me?

I wouldn't. But somehow it's the truth. My wife hates baseball. In fact as I wrote this she just turned the Mariners game off the tv to turn on Dancing with the Has Been's. So that means I get to log in and post about ball. I'm in way too many leagues. I spend way too much time playing fantasy baseball. First step is admitting the problem. Except I don't view it as one. My wife knew what she was signing up for when she married me and I've lived up (or down) to those expectations!

On night's where we share shows (Sunday nights mostly - GoT, Silicon Valley, Veep, Jon Oliver) or Saturday afternoons, we go out and do stuff... little baseball conflicts those times

Ha, that's the exact block my wife and I watch together, except GoT (I have to catch up on that).

My wife knew what she was signing up for when she married me and I've lived up (or down) to those expectations!

Good rule for you unmarried people, if you decide to get married make sure this is all discussed ahead of time!

I told my wife when we were first dating that for 16 Sundays out of the year, (usually less because I'm a Jets fan) I was unavailable.

I can't imagine doing fantasy basketball/baseball, but hell if you lay out everything up front there can't be any complaints later!

My wife knew what she was signing up for when she married me and I've lived up (or down) to those expectations!

Good rule for you unmarried people, don't get married.

Fixed that for you.

Good rule for you unmarried people, if you decide to get married make sure this is all discussed ahead of time!

I told my wife when we were first dating that for 16 Sundays out of the year, (usually less because I'm a Jets fan) I was unavailable.

I can't imagine doing fantasy basketball/baseball, but hell if you lay out everything up front there can't be any complaints later!

Reality: full disclosure means jack squat after the honeymoon stage. It then becomes you need to change.