burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

He's been hitting since Australia, into spring training, and then just continues to tear the cover off the ball well deep into the season.  He's unreal.

Unbelievable. Every time I bring up MILB he's either homered or hit a double it seems like. Such an amazing hitter at 19!!

Call the kid up to the show. He deserves it.

2 minutes ago, GJDHouse said:

It will be an absolute travesty if the Braves don't call him up.  

Not really.  If the Braves were actually in contention, I would be right there with you.  They are out of it and have no real reason to start his service time.  One could say to sell more tickets, which isn't completely outrageous, but I still honestly would think it would be pretty dumb even though he is clearly ready for at least a shot.

I understand people wanting him to be called up.  The numbers he is putting up are beyond human and obviously we all could use a boost, but I would come to the conclusion that I wouldn't do it after taking a step back and thinking about it from a MLB perspective and not just a fantasy owner.

• Like 4

4 Home Runs in 5 games. Batting.338 in AAA with a 1.12 OPS.  How do the Braves call up all the scrubs in September and leave this kid behind? 

14 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

4 Home Runs in 5 games. Batting.338 in AAA with a 1.12 OPS.  How do the Braves call up all the scrubs in September and leave this kid behind? 

Because he has very few ABs in the high minors and it will preserve a year of service time. 

18 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

He is 19 and don't want to start his service time to help them win meaningless games at this point.

just in case someone missed it, i'll restate my opinion:

i absolutely hate that the current cba allows/forces teams to worry more about service time (money) than actually getting the best players on the field in the majors. it hinders the league from moving forward by putting an artificial cap on the amount of talent in the league. it also prevents players, acuna in this specific topic, from getting experience that could assist them in being more prepared next season for a full-time role.

to be honest, it seems like everyone loses.. the major league team loses, the fans lose, and the upcoming players lose.

• Like 5

Yeah, I am not saying the Braves will, but it is a shame that a guy who clearly is talented enough to play in the majors might not get that opportunity this year.  It is a flawed system when you are forced to suppress someone's wages through artificial means in order to benefit yourself 7 years down the road.  I am somewhat surprised that more young phenoms don't use their leverage to get on the field when they deserve it.  If Acuna's representation made a clear case that while the Braves were welcome to hold him back to save money in the future, they should understand that when it comes time to renew Acuna's contract, that it won't be forgotten, and that Acuna will be strongly looking at other teams due to the Braves slight early in his career.  

Assuming Acuna is as good as it seems he will be, I would think the Braves would be more interested in developing a long term relationship than in saving a service year 7 years from now.  The key for the Braves is to sign him to his next deal.  At 19 years old, he is going to be entering prime years at the age of 26.  That contract is the one that could send you to the world series or not.  I am still holding out hope, but due to the nature of the game, it certainly wouldn't shock me if he doesn't get the September call up.  If he keeps hitting like this it will be a complete embarrassment to the organization though.  

Edited by GJDHouse
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

just in case someone missed it, i'll restate my opinion:

i absolutely hate that the current cba allows/forces teams to worry more about service time (money) than actually getting the best players on the field in the majors. it hinders the league from moving forward by putting an artificial cap on the amount of talent in the league. it also prevents players, acuna in this specific topic, from getting experience that could assist them in being more prepared next season for a full-time role.

to be honest, it seems like everyone loses.. the major league team loses, the fans lose, and the upcoming players lose.

I agree with everything but the last part. Major League teams win by delaying the player's big free agent contract and, probably more importantly, current Major Leaguers win by de-incentivizing Major League teams from bringing up cheaper players to take their jobs.

• Like 1

Kudos to those who scooped him up early on in the season!

What's scary is that he's somehow improved at every single stop this season. Cut his K's and raised walks from 6.3/31.7 to 7.4/23.0 to now 9.0/19.4. Increased power at every stop. It's really unbelievable. I do see some room for improvement, however. In AA and AAA, his SB success rate is 59%. I'd also like to see him cut a few fly balls off and his more line drives. His IFFB rate has always been pretty high aside from his nutty AAA performance, so turning those pop ups into line drives or even more grounders would give some benefits.

To be honest that's all I think he can improve. He's probably the best prospect in the minors right now and think he totally deserves a September callup. The Braves should do a similar approach to what the Dodgers did with Seager and Pederson. September callup, then win the job outright from ST onwards. If he shows poorly in September, give him a bit more seasoning in the minors, no harm no foul. Good way to give him low-pressure situations to get acclimated before going full-on.

18 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I agree with everything but the last part. Major League teams win by delaying the player's big free agent contract and, probably more importantly, current Major Leaguers win by de-incentivizing Major League teams from bringing up cheaper players to take their jobs.

good point.

i agree with at least half of your statement.. aging vets are definitely winners. guys who would otherwise lose their job continue to play at the major league level.

the team winning is debatable, imo. i don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but a team betting on the player having enough value in X years to deny their talent now on the major league roster now seems like such a gamble. anything can happen: injuries, trades, or just general crappy play (being a bust). the bust rate for minor league prospects is pretty high and while i understand the concept of pinch pennies now to be rich later, it seems very questionable to me. you're probably right, though.. if teams are doing it, i'm sure they've spent a lot of money and time on analysts identifying how to maximize profits.

• Like 1

I would think they would want to call the kid up at least when you expand the rosters just to give him Major League experience so he will be good to go next season on opening day or June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

He is 19 and don't want to start his service time to help them win meaningless games at this point.

The only way that makes sense is if they plan on holding him back next April/May. If he is tearing it up now and tears it up in Spring Training, good luck keeping him off the opening day roster and explaining to your fans that you are trying to win games in 2018. This isn't a kid tearing it up in the minors in April. That is when teams hold back prospects because they know waiting a few weeks will push back service time.

If they call him up in September and he is a stud, they will gladly ride him next year. If he comes up and struggles, they can hold him back an extra month next year to preserve the service time. 

• Like 1

If Braves fans think their team is ready to win games and compete in 2018 they need to re-evaluate the amount of talent they have.  If you start listening to the fans you will be sitting with them shortly.

You are talking about a team that is 18 games out of a division where they get to play the Phillies and Mets and Marlins a lot.  They are at least 2 years way from competing.

Edited by heyeaglefn
  • Like 2

I feel like something bad is going to come out about Acuna. Like he's actually 27 or something. Totally joking of course but man this guy is blowing my mind.

11 hours ago, truballa227 said:

I feel like something bad is going to come out about Acuna. Like he's actually 27 or something. Totally joking of course but man this guy is blowing my mind.

He's 27 and not named Ronald? ;)

1 hour ago, Letitbe793 said:

I foresee Acuna Matata being a very popular fantasy team name for the next decade+

Acuna Moncada 

• Like 1