Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

3 hours ago, TraBuch said:

Three more hits. Hitting .355 with a 1.035 OPS.

Reasons to keep this kid down are growing more invalid by the day.

It's a shame the CBA is set up to allow this to happen. There's no developmental reason he's still in AAA. 

Just now, tywalson said:

Reasons to keep this kid down are growing more invalid by the day.

It's a shame the CBA is set up to allow this to happen. There's no developmental reason he's still in AAA. 

It's a business,

1 hour ago, Topgun said:

It's a business,

Since @osb_tensor already put it perfectly, I'll restate his previous post.

"i absolutely hate that the current cba allows/forces teams to worry more about service time (money) than actually getting the best players on the field in the majors. it hinders the league from moving forward by putting an artificial cap on the amount of talent in the league. it also prevents players, acuna in this specific topic, from getting experience that could assist them in being more prepared next season for a full-time role.

to be honest, it seems like everyone loses.. the major league team loses, the fans lose, and the upcoming players lose."

The Braves have been incredibly aggressive with Acuna this season and we should be happy that he's doing what he's doing in AAA.  Maybe he gets a cup of coffee in Sept when rosters expand, maybe not.  Either way dominating at AAA puts opening day 2018 on the radar.

I'm pretty optimistic about a call up in Sept.  But he's looking like a solid keeper even in shallow keep 3 leagues.  No way he doesn't get a starting gig next year.

2 hours ago, borindia said:

I'm pretty optimistic about a call up in Sept.  But he's looking like a solid keeper even in shallow keep 3 leagues.  No way he doesn't get a starting gig next year.

If they haven't nixed the idea at this point, then he is certainly doing everything possible to make it a bad PR move to keep him down.  Just needs to stay hot for 10 more days and really put the pressure on them.

Kemp owed $18 million a season through 2020 and Markakis is owed $11 million next season. Braves likely (shouldn't) sit those kind of contracts. They have a shot to move one of those this offseason some say. Won't help if those guys ride the pine. 

32 minutes ago, Bips_braves said:

Kemp owed $18 million a season through 2020 and Markakis is owed $11 million next season. Braves likely (shouldn't) sit those kind of contracts. They have a shot to move one of those this offseason some say. Won't help if those guys ride the pine. 

Any info on that shot to move one this offseason?

36 minutes ago, Bips_braves said:

This logic always bother me. Why should salary be a factor in who plays over who doesn't? It's pretty dumb. 

1 hour ago, Bips_braves said:

Why shouldn't they sit them if they possibly have better options? Does a player making big $ have more trade value if he sucks and he is playing or if he sucks and is on the bench? Any decent G.M should be able to see the value of a player regardless of how he is being used. And in Kemps case he may be better off on the bench. He couldn't possibly find a way to get hurt there could he?!

There's no valid reason left as to why Acuna is not up yet, or at minimum, up in September. 

1 hour ago, moeron22 said:

This logic always bother me. Why should salary be a factor in who plays over who doesn't? It's pretty dumb. 

Definitely not a great thing for fans or for chances to win but the Braves are out of it. IF Acuna came up and helped the team, it doesn't change that. At this point the organization is fine with getting a top pick especially with this 2018 draft class. And  we aren't talking about a 22 yo experienced college bat like Kris Bryant being held back by the system. This kid has leaped up quickly at 19. 

Think of the pros and cons for this situation with Acuna from the organizational standpoint. I think the cons are more. That's just my opinion.

Pros: Acuna gets a taste.

Cons: lower draft pick assuming Acuna helps them, start of service time during a lost season. 

I don't think ATL fans show up in a lost season just to see Acuna so sales likely aren't impacted enough. This can and will be debated for possibly the next few weeks. No side is wrong.

1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Any info on that shot to move one this offseason?

I honestly don't know if anything is really there just yet. Just heard that this is something they would strongly be looking at this winter. 

2 hours ago, tywalson said:

There's no valid reason left as to why Acuna is not up yet, or at minimum, up in September. 

People have been over this several times.  They are going nowhere this season and the only reason to call him up and start his service time at this point would be to sell tickets.  He has definitely earned a promotion, but it's still something that may be borderline irresponsible to call him up and start his service time.  Honestly, I could care less about all that service time stuff, but it matters to the teams.

There's nothing irresponsible about promoting him right away or not. It's a business  all and a baseball call. Many businesses increase profits by suppressing wages and strategic pricing. Others chase profits by cultivating amicable relationships with labor and their customer base.

Think Walmart with selective pricing, wage suppression, and the shifting of employer costs to the government by stiffing workers full time hours. Then think Costco with their low prices across the board, union friendly management and famously fair wages. Both stores compete with completely different philosophies. I know where I get my chicken fingers.

Super 2 (However-TF it works) gives teams a measurable tool for suppressing wages. Whether or not a team uses it to pad their bottom line, alienate their fan-base and possibly stymie player development is up to each team and their management philosophy. Whether using it or not works out for the better, like any business decision, invites debate on a case by case basis. 

If this kid is as good as he looks then keeping him down until next year's Super 2 could save the Braves like $30M or so. 

The one complaint you could have had about him was his sb% in aaa, and then he goes out and swipes 4 sb in two games. I love this guy already.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:31 PM, rrrich46 said:

If this kid is as good as he looks then keeping him down until next year's Super 2 could save the Braves like $30M or so. 

hush up!

On 8/20/2017 at 11:50 PM, ragrag said:

The Braves have been incredibly aggressive with Acuna this season and we should be happy that he's doing what he's doing in AAA.  Maybe he gets a cup of coffee in Sept when rosters expand, maybe not.  Either way dominating at AAA puts opening day 2018 on the radar.

On 8/22/2017 at 2:41 PM, tywalson said:

Yes there is.  See Kris Bryant's and Cody Bellinger's call-up dates.  A couple of weeks into the season.  That is all they had to wait to get the call so that the team gets a whole extra year of control more before they hit free agency. 

Those are the dates you have to use for your top prospects.  You don't just start the clock on them in September for a "cup of coffee" call-up and start their clock on a non-contending team.  That would mean you would have to wait all through next April and a few weeks into May before calling up Acuna.  Now that would be insane.

Insane is a pretty strong word. It's not insane that the braves might want to see acuna against major league pitching and see him in the field so that at the start of next year they can work on any obvious flaws or changes that need to be made. It is a different strategy but not insane. 

It wasn't insane that Mike trout only played 40 games his first year. It wouldn't be insane if acuna only played 20 or 30. There are many ways to develop a player. 

In Keith Law's chat today he mentioned he expects Acuna up in September. Not sure if he has insider information or just a guess. 

I still think it is 50/50, but it isn't crazy either way.  One way is a financial way.  Save money, but they have to be committed to not starting him on the team out of training camp as well.  The other is a development, fan base, marketing way and in that scenario they can still revert back to the financial method if he proves not to produce.  With the way he has produced I would bring him up.  If he is a stud right off the bat, then you wanted him up anyway.  If he struggles, then maybe it gives you an excuse with the fanbase to send him down for 6 weeks and work on the finer aspects of the game, and then earn a promotion.  What you don't want is that he yoyo's back and forth next year.

Will be interesting to see if he's called up and has success. Are they then committed to starting him out of the gate next year or do they still send him down for a month to get the extra year. I suppose it's a good problem to have.