Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

19 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

I still think it is 50/50, but it isn't crazy either way.  One way is a financial way.  Save money, but they have to be committed to not starting him on the team out of training camp as well.  The other is a development, fan base, marketing way and in that scenario they can still revert back to the financial method if he proves not to produce.  With the way he has produced I would bring him up.  If he is a stud right off the bat, then you wanted him up anyway.  If he struggles, then maybe it gives you an excuse with the fanbase to send him down for 6 weeks and work on the finer aspects of the game, and then earn a promotion.  What you don't want is that he yoyo's back and forth next year.

This seems like the smartest move.  Two possible outcomes:

1. He is a stud in the majors. You are happy to keep him up.

2. He struggles in the majors. You have an excuse to hold him back for the first part of 2018 to limit service time.

On Markakis, he has had an OPS between .744 and .762 for the last three years.  That doesn't exactly scream "must play".  I'm a bit surprised the Nationals didn't trade for either Grandy or Markakis in the past couple of weeks after Harper went down with the injury.  Markakis will be easy to bench or dump whenever the Braves decide the time is right.

He's not coming this year most likely. those of you who think this is unfair that he's not in the majors please keep in mind that he's been very aggressively pushed already. Acuna could have been assigned low A to start the year. He could have been there for half a year and pushed his way to high a late in the season and it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that he aggressively got pushed three times this year are making people think it's unfair he doesn't get a shot in the majors this year. That is silly. He's not being screwed, more of the opposite really. 

42 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's not coming this year most likely. those of you who think this is unfair that he's not in the majors please keep in mind that he's been very aggressively pushed already. Acuna could have been assigned low A to start the year. He could have been there for half a year and pushed his way to high a late in the season and it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that he aggressively got pushed three times this year are making people think it's unfair he doesn't get a shot in the majors this year. That is silly. He's not being screwed, more of the opposite really. 

Without looking at tape and stats and scouting reviews, sure. High level that sounds right. But if you use the context of what he is actually doing at every level it becomes pretty apparent that he is MLB ready and deserves the call. I'm starting to think it won't happen too, but I also think he deserves to be called up. 

If he breaks with the club after spring training or is an early 2018 call up I'll be fine with that too. They've been very aggressive with him because his play has dictated it so, and hopefully that continues.

2 minutes ago, tywalson said:

If he breaks with the club after spring training or is an early 2018 call up I'll be fine with that too. They've been very aggressive with him because his play has dictated it so, and hopefully that continues.

He's very clearly getting called up a few weeks into the season like Kris Bryant if he keeps this up and has a good Spring Training. If he starts to slump, maybe Super 2 at the latest. 

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's very clearly getting called up a few weeks into the season like Kris Bryant if he keeps this up and has a good Spring Training. If he starts to slump, maybe Super 2 at the latest. 

hasnt he been doing thru 3 levels of the minors THIS YEAR what bryant did in AAA in that first couple weeks you speak of?

Bryant was a college player as well.

i get what youre saying but this is apples and oranges.

Gwinnett has already been eliminated from the playoffs so we will have our answer by September 4th.

7 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

hasnt he been doing thru 3 levels of the minors THIS YEAR what bryant did in AAA in that first couple weeks you speak of?

Bryant was a college player as well.

i get what youre saying but this is apples and oranges.

Bryant could have been up the September before.

During Spring Training he was the best hitter in Arizona and he certainly should have started the season for the Cubs at 3b instead of Luis Valbuena, but the cubs kept him down two weeks for service time reasons. 

Shocked that nobody has posted this yet; Per ESPN/Rotowire:

Acuna has been assigned to the Arizona Fall League, MLB.com reports.
Spin:
While it's certainly not unheard of for a player to be called up after being named to a preliminary Arizona Fall League roster -- Yoan Moncada was promoted last year after being assigned to the AFL -- Acuna figures to simply rest for a bit after the minor-league season concludes before he heads to baseball's "graduate school" for prospects. It only makes good business sense for the Braves to hold off on promoting Acuna, as he's an elite talent and the team will gain an extra year of control by keeping him down until mid-April of 2018.

1 hour ago, blinkfan77 said:

Shocked that nobody has posted this yet; Per ESPN/Rotowire:

Acuna has been assigned to the Arizona Fall League, MLB.com reports.
Spin:
While it's certainly not unheard of for a player to be called up after being named to a preliminary Arizona Fall League roster -- Yoan Moncada was promoted last year after being assigned to the AFL -- Acuna figures to simply rest for a bit after the minor-league season concludes before he heads to baseball's "graduate school" for prospects. It only makes good business sense for the Braves to hold off on promoting Acuna, as he's an elite talent and the team will gain an extra year of control by keeping him down until mid-April of 2018.

C'mon, Man!

19 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

C'mon, Man!

Sorry to you and everyone else that wants to see him play now, but that makes the most sense.

Forget it. Baseball just lost its biggest fan. 

You hear that, baseball?! We're over!

7 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

Exit stage left.

The slightly silver lining is if you own him in a keeper league, he looks to be on track to get the Kris Bryant treatment and come up real early next year. I remember being very jealous that Bryant wasn't available in any of my auctions his rookie year. Now I get to potentially be on the other side of that next year.

Am i crazy to keep in a 4 year keeper with an option to franchise for a 5th year at round 25 value?  I picked him up this year so that burns his first year...

39 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Am i crazy to keep in a 4 year keeper with an option to franchise for a 5th year at round 25 value?  I picked him up this year so that burns his first year...

Crazy not to. 

12 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Not at all. I only keep 3 at original round price with yearly escalation by 6 rounds, so I'd say his value is less than in yours. I'm keeping him. Now I gave up some very good keepers to make a push to win this year so I limited my options but still. 

14 hours ago, bdy1 said:

tumblr_nkepckpeJb1silxrio1_500.gif

14 hours ago, bdy1 said:

Want to trade me Acuna before you go ?

Does the Phillips trade do anything to speed up his timeline? Open up a spot on the 40 man? 

19 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Does the Phillips trade do anything to speed up his timeline? Open up a spot on the 40 man? 

No impact, just clears up a position for Ruiz and Camargo to get PT. I'd be shocked if we saw him unless Kemp Markakis or Inciarte get hurt and even then not a slam dunk. They want that extra year of service time. 

On 8/19/2017 at 10:29 AM, tywalson said:

Best prospect since Carlos Correa ??

in terms of raw tools... doesn't Moncada have Correa beat? Correa is a more natural baseball player though, for sure. 

also, does anyone else have a separate Minor League keeper slot, and are rooting for him to stay down?  I want to see if Ronald can hang in the pros right now, but in a fantasy sense, a promotion would actually hurt my squad next year, substantially. (because he'd no longer qualify for that Minor League slot) 

I have him in a keeper with no minor spots but 3 bench spots. 

My hope is for him to be up at the start of next season to free up  bench spot..

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

in terms of raw tools... doesn't Moncada have Correa beat? Correa is a more natural baseball player though, for sure. 

also, does anyone else have a separate Minor League keeper slot, and are rooting for him to stay down?  I want to see if Ronald can hang in the pros right now, but in a fantasy sense, a promotion would actually hurt my squad next year, substantially. (because he'd no longer qualify for that Minor League slot) 

Tools-wise, I think Moncada is the best since Harper.  But of course that guarantees nothing. 

2 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

We have minors spots and we don't have to promote them or use a major league keep on them unless they exceed minor eligibility at the end of the year. So even if he gets called up this year, I can keep him in the minors and use a minor league keep on him going into next year.