burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

On 2/21/2017 at 11:21 PM, PPolanco said:

Got some hype from Longenhagen (fangraphs lead prospect analyst).

Surprised how quiet his hype has been overall though. I suppose he's still very young. But his tools scream fantasy upside

BP has him ranked 31st and James Anderson (Rotowire) has him at 17. There's lots of hype. 

BP recently did a 15-team prospects mock draft and Acuna went in the second round (27th pick). 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=31290

16 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Batting .333/.407 in ST through 24 AB's... very impressive for someone who has only played 40 games above ROK ball. 

He's going to be a top 15 prospect going into next year. 

My top 250 hasn't been released yet but I have him at preseason number 18. I think he has a chance at being top 5 by the end of the year and depending on who gets called up he could be top 3. 

Which Braves prospect would you rate higher in terms of fantasy, Acuna or Maitan?  Hopefully nobody is offended that this question is in this post, but I don't think I'd get as much insight if I posted it in the general bench coach forum.  I was fully prepared to take Maitan, but Acuna has been building so much momentum...I'm still leaning towards Maitan.  Can someone talk me out of it?  

2 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

Which Braves prospect would you rate higher in terms of fantasy, Acuna or Maitan?  Hopefully nobody is offended that this question is in this post, but I don't think I'd get as much insight if I posted it in the general bench coach forum.  I was fully prepared to take Maitan, but Acuna has been building so much momentum...I'm still leaning towards Maitan.  Can someone talk me out of it?  

Acuna 100%.. Maitan has fantastic potential don't get me wrong, but we've seen what Acuna can do a bit this spring against a few big league level pitchers.. He's a true 5-tool player, which are few and far between.. Maitan will probably hit for more power and RBI, but I would think Acuna leads him in all other CATS.. Avg, SB, Rs, possibly OBP (Acuna's approach has looked legit so far).. This year will be big for Acuna but I've read multiple sources that say there's a good chance he's in the bigs before he turns 21. 

It's hard to put a projection on someone like Acuna being so young, but .300/20HR/30SB seems attainable from the little bit we've seen from him.. That could be under estimating both HR/SB as well.. 

I can't wait to see him get some more ABs this year.. He's one of the prospects I'm most excited about following this year. Similar to Trae Turner, with a bit less speed? (No I don't think he will hit .342, but I see some similarities in the tools) 

BTW - EL from Fangraphs put these future grades on them..

Maitan - Hit:60  Raw Power:60  Game Power:55  Run: 40

Acuna - Hit:60  Raw Power: 60  Game Power:55  Run:55

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2017 at 6:25 PM, pduce242424 said:

Yeah, Acuna and it's not particularly close. The reports on Maitan are great but we haven't seen him adjust to any of the things that come along with playing baseball professionally, yet. Acuna comes with significantly less risk because he's played well at a couple stops. Any of the lists that you'll come across have Acuna well ahead of Maitan at the moment and I'm inclined to agree with them until Maitan starts hitting stateside and/or Acuna gets to a level he can't handle, which hasn't happened yet.

6 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Yeah, Acuna and it's not particularly close. The reports on Maitan are great but we haven't seen him adjust to any of the things that come along with playing baseball professionally, yet. Acuna comes with significantly less risk because he's played well at a couple stops. Any of the lists that you'll come across have Acuna well ahead of Maitan at the moment and I'm inclined to agree with them until Maitan starts hitting stateside and/or Acuna gets to a level he can't handle, which hasn't happened yet.

You might be right...but,

Kiley Mcdaniel was all over Maitan...he knows his stuff.  Badler hyped him up as well.   Maitan is in the top 50 on mlb.com prospects (I think he was in the 30s somewhere).   Maitan and Acuna aren't that too far apart in their rankings for BA.  Point is, that pretty much everywhere people have Maitan ranked, even without having a professional at bat.  That just doesn't happen too often.   I'm not sure the scouting grades are necessarily that accurate, especially for Maitan, and there must be some room to grow.  He's going to be much bigger than Acuna (he's already 6'2), so I'd have to think he'll tap in to more power, even though the current grades have them equal.  Plus he's a switch hitter, so less chance of significant split differences.

I have a hard time going against Mcdaniel...his rankings and writeups were the bible for me.  Helped me build some sick dynasty squads.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Kiley Mcdaniel was all over Maitan...he knows his stuff.  Badler hyped him up as well.   Maitan is in the top 50 on mlb.com prospects (I think he was in the 30s somewhere).   Maitan and Acuna aren't that too far apart in their rankings for BA.  Point is, that pretty much everywhere people have Maitan ranked, even without having a professional at bat.  That just doesn't happen too often.   I'm not sure the scouting grades are necessarily that accurate, especially for Maitan, and there must be some room to grow.  He's going to be much bigger than Acuna (he's already 6'2), so I'd have to think he'll tap in to more power, even though the current grades have them equal.  Plus he's a switch hitter, so less chance of significant split differences.

I have a hard time going against Mcdaniel...his rankings and writeups were the bible for me.  Helped me build some sick dynasty squads.  

To be fair McDaniel's last publicized opinion of him was what, 2 years ago? Not being snarky, truly asking.. 

I understand that a ton of people are hyping him up, but until he steps stateside it's extremely hard to gauge what he will be like.. Both players have considerable and comparable upside (sky is the limit for both).. I'm going to take the "safer" of the two more times than not.. I really like Maitan don't get me wrong but I can't say his ceiling is higher than Acuna's because Acuna could turn into a legit 5 CAT stud.. Maitain won't.. 

Just for comparison purposes, guys that can steal bags (Altuve, Betts, etc even Blackmon last year)  are generally more valuable than guys that don't (Arenado, Bryant) in standard leagues all else being equal... 

Proximity is also something to look at..

There is still a ton of projection in both prospects and it could certainly go either way.. but if I had to pick right now, I'm taking the safer of the two given that the upside of both is quite similar... Can't really go wrong with either. 

3 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

To be fair McDaniel's last publicized opinion of him was what, 2 years ago? Not being snarky, truly asking.. 

I understand that a ton of people are hyping him up, but until he steps stateside it's extremely hard to gauge what he will be like.. Both players have considerable and comparable upside (sky is the limit for both).. I'm going to take the "safer" of the two more times than not.. I really like Maitan don't get me wrong but I can't say his ceiling is higher than Acuna's because Acuna could turn into a legit 5 CAT stud.. Maitain won't.. 

Just for comparison purposes, guys that can steal bags (Altuve, Betts, etc even Blackmon last year)  are generally more valuable than guys that don't (Arenado, Bryant) in standard leagues all else being equal... 

Proximity is also something to look at..

There is still a ton of projection in both prospects and it could certainly go either way.. but if I had to pick right now, I'm taking the safer of the two given that the upside of both is quite similar... Can't really go wrong with either. 

Yeah, it's been about 1.5 years since he was hired with the Braves...so probably close to 2 years since he wrote about him.  But, that kind of adds to my point about how long and how young Maitan was when he started generating all the hype...and it hasn't died down.

I know Acuna had a good spring training and all.  But, I don't think he's all that much "safer" at this point than Maitan.   He's basically got 40 games in A-ball to go off of, where he slugged .432.  So there's a lot more to prove on that 5 cat projection.  Maybe I'm discounting it, but I don't give much credence to what he did in Australia.  He's got a longer track record, but not that much.  Bottom line is they're both a ways a way.  Super promising though.

I'm not putting down Acuna....I wish I could have them both.   

I do appreciate your insightful posts!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Yeah, it's been about 1.5 years since he was hired with the Braves...so probably close to 2 years since he wrote about him.  But, that kind of adds to my point about how long and how young Maitan was when he started generating all the hype...and it hasn't died down.

I know Acuna had a good spring training and all.  But, I don't think he's all that much "safer" at this point than Maitan.   He's basically got 40 games in A-ball to go off of, where he slugged .432.  So there's a lot more to prove on that 5 cat projection.  Maybe I'm discounting it, but I don't give much credence to what he did in Australia.  He's got a longer track record, but not that much.  Bottom line is they're both a ways a way.  Super promising though.

I'm not putting down Acuna....I wish I could have them both.   

I do appreciate your insightful posts!

The reason I mentioned that it was a while ago is his opinion could've changed (it almost certainly hasn't since he's with the Braves) but he could just as easily prefer Acuna at this point too. 

Yeah I don't put much into Austrailia or the spring training stats either, although, it is good to see him get a handful of hits off big league pitching..

I think once I see Maitan have success making the jump stateside I will be more of a believer.. I know that first year is extremely tough on those guys, so it'll be interesting to see how he handles it. 

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

I know the reports on Maitan are glowing and he might very well meet the expectations. However, the Braves were confident enough in Acuna to make him the youngest player in the Sally by more than a full year. If he had struggled, it would have been understandable. In his admittedly short time there, though, he put up an OPS that would've been good enough for top 10 in the league while stealing bases at a league-leading pace. I know guys are high on Maitan but the people in the Braves organization have been aggressive with Acuna and I assume it's for good reason, especially with results like he's had. Maybe it's different in a year but for now, I'd take Acuna.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I know the reports on Maitan are glowing and he might very well meet the expectations. However, the Braves were confident enough in Acuna to make him the youngest player in the Sally by more than a full year. If he had struggled, it would have been understandable. In his admittedly short time there, though, he put up an OPS that would've been good enough for top 10 in the league while stealing bases at a league-leading pace. I know guys are high on Maitan but the people in the Braves organization have been aggressive with Acuna and I assume it's for good reason, especially with results like he's had. Maybe it's different in a year but for now, I'd take Acuna.

Braves have been aggressive recently with their top prospects...Swanson (went from Hi A to MLB last year), Albies (made it to AAA last year as a 19 year old), and Acuna as you mentioned...they're challenging them if they think they're up to it.  That's good company to be in.  They seem to be a more aggressive organization than most.  

In a nutshell, my biggest concern with Acuna is will the power fully develop.   Other than that, I agree with everyone's projections related to his bat and speed.  For me, these guys are 1A and 1B in my dynasty format for players that are available.

• Like 1

What is Acuna's ETA given the Braves organization "pushing" prospects quickly? Are we looking late 2018? Sometime this year?

14 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

What is Acuna's ETA given the Braves organization "pushing" prospects quickly? Are we looking late 2018? Sometime this year?

I think late 2018 would be the earliest.. I would say there is about a .001% chance of him seeing any time in the bigs this year.. I don't think Atlanta has any reason to rush him up right now. 

He will most likely start the year at Advanced-A and finish up in AA if he progresses as well as I think he will. Good chance he's in the bigs before he turns 21, but obviously he has to have success at each level for that to happen. 

3 homers in a game today, by the way. I'm very excited to see what kind of season he puts together.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

3 homers in a game today, by the way. I'm very excited to see what kind of season he puts together.

Yes sir - I'm a believer in the power! Good to see, thanks for sharing. 

On 3/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, Hanghow said:

23 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Yes sir - I'm a believer in the power! Good to see, thanks for sharing. 

Do we know what league he did this in? I didn't see anything about this in MLB Spring Training game.

21 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

not off to a great start at the dish but he's already stolen 5 bases. 

Make it 6.

Acuna earns raves:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/atlanta-braves-ronald-acuna-earns-raves/c-226376470/t-185364810

So impressive was Acuna that former Braves center fielder Andruw Jones' name came up more than once in assessing the native of Venezuela's potential.

"We were all talking about that," Atlanta Braves manager Brian Snitker said. "Everybody said, 'He reminds me of Andruw.' Now Andruw probably had more power, but there are a lot of similarities. We told Andruw that."

High praise indeed, but a little unfair as well to Acuna, who started this season as the youngest player in the Class A Advanced Florida State League.

Acuna is listed as the Braves' No. 7 prospect, but that ranking is deceiving. The loaded Atlanta system has eight players ranked on MLB.com's Top 100 list with Acuna at No. 96. Still, the Florida State League can be tough on young hitters, and the Braves knew there could be a learning curve at first for Acuna, who hit .311 for Rome.  

There was the first three weeks or so as Acuna struck out 26 times in his first 61 at-bats. He batted .230 with four extra-base hits and had eight stolen bases in nine attempts through his first 15 games.  

Acuna, though, is considered to have the highest ceiling of any position player in the Braves system and "could come fast" to the Majors, according to Snitker.  

"His skill set is really good," the manager said. "He's a talented kid and I really liked the way he made adjustments on the fly during counts this spring. His aptitude and feel for the game is really advanced for his age. He's good in the outfield and he can fly. He's got all five tools. Now he just needs to play."

And kept it going tonight:

2-4, 1 BB, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 2 R's, 2 SB's

Really hoping he turns into something special - drafted him at #6 overall in a dynasty prospect draft this year and was mocked for it by several teams. Might have been able to snag him in the 2nd round, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss out.

• Like 3

I love the value at #6 fwiw. I don't know who was available, but I thought Acuna compared favorably with any of the recent signees. Senzel might have been the only hitter I would've taken over him from that group and I feel like you could make the ceiling argument in favor of Acuna.

• Like 1