burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

On 2/21/2018 at 5:46 PM, Arrowflinger said:

I hope this guy dont turn out to be AJ Reed 2.0. I remember the hype for that guy was through the roof and it made me draft him in 2 dynasty leagues....what a mistake!

I think Byron Buxton 2.0 would be a better comparison for the cautionary message, but even then:1) Buxton is now being ranked as a borderline top 20 fantasy OFer, and 2) Acuna’s development curve is WAY ahead of what Buxton was doing when he was the #1 prospect as a 20 yr old

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I think Byron Buxton 2.0 would be a better comparison for the cautionary message, but even then:1) Buxton is now being ranked as a borderline top 20 fantasy OFer, and 2) Acuna’s development curve is WAY ahead of what Buxton was doing when he was the #1 prospect as a 20 yr old

Exactly what I was getting at, thanks for adding that. Saying “X prospect failed, so I’m scared they all will” is terrible logic. I don’t know about all of you, but I’m JUICED to see Acuna this spring.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tywalson said:

Exactly what I was getting at, thanks for adding that. Saying “X prospect failed, so I’m scared they all will” is terrible logic. I don’t know about all of you, but I’m JUICED to see Acuna this spring.

I agree and so am I! I live less than a mile from the Suntrust Park and you can get $10 tickets throughout the year and just go sit in the CHop House (a bar in right center field on the lower bowl). I cannot wait to go to games this summer and see this kid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

needs to wear his hat properly

I've been talking about this for years, why it isn't something graded on the 20-80 scale. Extremely critical 

1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

how has he looked this spring?

Pretty good. I've seen a couple of their games and liked what i've seen so far. He was hitless his first two games but has got at least 1 hit in every game since (i think) along with some walks and a HBP. He hasn't shown any power yet but swiped a bag and has looked like he certainly belongs on a big league roster. He's got such a quick bat with that short buggy swing it's pretty fun to watch. The kid is special. I will say i've been equally impressed watching Albies though.. Braves are lucky to have these 2.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 8:53 PM, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

needs to wear his hat properly

this would come from someone w a trump avatar.. LOL smh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, tywalson said:

Lol what? They literally couldn’t be more opposite players. Reed had K%, lefty splits and contact concerns in the minors. He was unathletic and a poor defender even at 1B. His whole value was tied to his power. Also, Acuna is a near consensus first overall fantasy prospect and mentioned with the likes of Harper and Trout. He has potential plus power, plus speed, and plus contact and is a solid defender in CF or the corners. Even if he hits .250 his speed and power will play. Now could he turn out to be a bust? Sure. But I don’t think there is any comparison to AJ Reed and his lack of success so far should do nothing to your valuation of Acuna. He’s a stud.

Pre 2016, when that hype train was rolling, Reed had 122 K and 86 BB in 622 PA (2015). 

Acuna had 144 K in 

AJ Reed 2015

622 PA, 34 HR, 86 BB, 122 K, .340/.432/.612 

Ronald Acuna 2017

612 PA, 21 HR, 43 BB, 144 K, .325/.374/.522

As far as lefties go, Reed hit .271/.362/.512 against lefties. The OBP and SLG against lefties were nearly what Acuna did across the board. 

His whole value wasn't tied to power, it was a huge plus that really made him highly touted though. He was not a huge K liability, held his own against lefties, and walked a lot. 

I'm not saying Reed>Acuna ever, but your points against Reed couldn't be more wrong. He had a better K%, better OBP, better walk rate, better batting average. Yeah, Acuna has speed. Reminds me of this Buxton guy people talk about. 

People swing and miss on prospects all of the freaking time. It's the nature of the game. Heck, Moustakas was supposed to be an absolute stud, Alex Gordon was supposed to contend for batting titles. Dom brown was the #1 prospect and didn't even play since his age 27 season. Where is Jesus Montero now? When was the last big season from Profar? Wil Myers has been all over the map. Wasn't that Heyward kid supposed to be the next Griffey? That BJ Upton fella had a real fruitful career. 

Point is, he wasn't saying Reed = Acuna, he's just saying he bought all in on Reed after reading the hype here, and look where that got him, and he hopes it doesn't happen again. Heck, go read the hype love on Moncada and Story early last season. Talking about some stars that dimmed quick. Both could turn it around, sure, but they're considerably cheaper now than they were. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

Pre 2016, when that hype train was rolling, Reed had 122 K and 86 BB in 622 PA (2015). 

Acuna had 144 K in 

AJ Reed 2015

622 PA, 34 HR, 86 BB, 122 K, .340/.432/.612 

Ronald Acuna 2017

612 PA, 21 HR, 43 BB, 144 K, .325/.374/.522

As far as lefties go, Reed hit .271/.362/.512 against lefties. The OBP and SLG against lefties were nearly what Acuna did across the board. 

His whole value wasn't tied to power, it was a huge plus that really made him highly touted though. He was not a huge K liability, held his own against lefties, and walked a lot. 

I'm not saying Reed>Acuna ever, but your points against Reed couldn't be more wrong. He had a better K%, better OBP, better walk rate, better batting average. Yeah, Acuna has speed. Reminds me of this Buxton guy people talk about. 

People swing and miss on prospects all of the freaking time. It's the nature of the game. Heck, Moustakas was supposed to be an absolute stud, Alex Gordon was supposed to contend for batting titles. Dom brown was the #1 prospect and didn't even play since his age 27 season. Where is Jesus Montero now? When was the last big season from Profar? Wil Myers has been all over the map. Wasn't that Heyward kid supposed to be the next Griffey? That BJ Upton fella had a real fruitful career. 

Point is, he wasn't saying Reed = Acuna, he's just saying he bought all in on Reed after reading the hype here, and look where that got him, and he hopes it doesn't happen again. Heck, go read the hype love on Moncada and Story early last season. Talking about some stars that dimmed quick. Both could turn it around, sure, but they're considerably cheaper now than they were. 

AJ Reed was also 3 years older than Acuna with the stat lines you are comparing. As you know, you can’t just pick stat lines for prospects and use them as comparison without context. There’s so much more that goes into evaluating the future ability and production of a young player. 

I get that he was saying he bought into the Reed hype and it burned him. Reed has barely played in the majors and was awful when he did. However, I don’t think it’s the correct comparison to Acuna and to say he’s staying away from him because of AJ Reed being a bust. They’re very dissimilar players and the reasons Reed didn’t succeed probably won’t be the reasons Acuna doesn’t if he becomes a bust. Reed plays 1B and isn’t a + to a team if he’s not hitting. Like Buxton, Acuna will at least be on the field and putting up counting stats. The comparison to Buxton is more apt.

Who would you rather have between him and Reed? Even though he’s yet to live up to his potential he’s still useful and being drafted quite high. I’m simply saying I don’t think because Reed hasn’t panned out that should alter your view of Acuna whatsoever. And Acuna has been viewed much more favorably than Reed was at a much younger age (relatively.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tywalson said:

AJ Reed was also 3 years older than Acuna with the stat lines you are comparing. As you know, you can’t just pick stat lines for prospects and use them as comparison without context. There’s so much more that goes into evaluating the future ability and production of a young player. 

I get that he was saying he bought into the Reed hype and it burned him. Reed has barely played in the majors and was awful when he did. However, I don’t think it’s the correct comparison to Acuna and to say he’s staying away from him because of AJ Reed being a bust. They’re very dissimilar players and the reasons Reed didn’t succeed probably won’t be the reasons Acuna doesn’t if he becomes a bust. Reed plays 1B and isn’t a + to a team if he’s not hitting. Like Buxton, Acuna will at least be on the field and putting up counting stats. The comparison to Buxton is more apt.

Who would you rather have between him and Reed? Even though he’s yet to live up to his potential he’s still useful and being drafted quite high. I’m simply saying I don’t think because Reed hasn’t panned out that should alter your view of Acuna whatsoever. And Acuna has been viewed much more favorably than Reed was at a much younger age (relatively.)

Yes, lots of good points about Acuna vs Reed. Again, this isn't about Acuna vs Reed though. People need to pump the brakes on Acuna a little IMO. Reed was a guy that looked like an impact middle of the order bat and with moderately low risk. he was a complete flop. Jason Heyward was a #1 prospect at 19/20 also. 

Which would I rather have? Easy answer, him. Now, would I rather have him after his 2017 season or Reed after his 2015 season, that's another question entirely. 

This isn't about Reed, at all. It's about Acuna. And if you wanna talk free swingers or guys with swing an miss tendencies, let's talk Acuna, because he fits that bill. He also doesn't walk much. 

10 minutes ago, tm30 said:

3-3 nice day

...with a HR and a SB.  Combo meal.  CHOO CHOO!

all-aboard-the-hype-train.jpg

5 hours ago, tywalson said:

Nowhere in my post did I say I was staying away from Acuna because of what happened with Reed. sngehl01 explained perfectly what I meant.

AJ reed and acuna comparisons, amazing stuff guys, keep the lolz coming. Also that HR was nice but literally every hit in that game was 'loud' something about the stadium. Acuna is a huge stud in the making and I hope he starts right out the gate. 

What do you believe Acuna's auction value is a 5x5 roto redraft league?  What price wod you be will to bid up to?

9 hours ago, Copper said:

What do you believe Acuna's auction value is a 5x5 roto redraft league?  What price wod you be will to bid up to?

tenor.gif?itemid=4717856

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Copper said:

He went for $8 in my small Yahoo Pro League (5x5).

I'd say his range will probably be around $5-$15 depending on the hypeness. Depends how your draft is going but I'd definitely pay $15 if I need some gasoline.