Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

1 hour ago, irishbaseball59 said:

lordy! You can get Nunez or Cain in the same spot with almost guaranteed numbers

Acuna should be around 110-130 unless you know for sure he is gonna be 20/30 and even at that no way he hits over 270 IMO at least

Even funnier is the guy traded up to get the first dynasty pick and another #7x whereas he already had the 72nd pick . . .

1 minute ago, STLSU said:

Even funnier is the guy traded up to get the first dynasty pick and another #7x whereas he already had the 72nd pick . . .

What's your point?

3 minutes ago, Topgun said:

What's your point?

derp that the hype train is out of control.  he could have had him at the very next slot.

21 minutes ago, rotodr said:

I win leagues based on near certainties(barring injury) with a few late lottery. Not buying a guy who could have a 20/30 season when a guy who is gonna have a certain 18/30 season and has done it before is being drafted in the same spot.

I will send you a video of my polishing my trophy is you like LMK

4 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

I thought this was the Ronald Acuna thread but apparently this the "Look at me brag about my wins and trophies!" thread. Can anyone tell me where the Acuna thread is?

I thought it was a valid counter to the "Let's dream on his upside with no  accountability" or the "Party pooper" posts.

Nobody here hates Acuna.  I for one believe I was the first person to deem him the #1 fantasy prospect in this thread a while ago, I'm super high on his career.  I play in this one league where you can keep a guy drafted at round 11 or later and keep them for one year in that round.  I'm fairly certain I know prospects better than anyone in that league because I play in leagues where over 400+ are owned.  I almost never go for prospects in that league because the best case scenario isn't that appealing and there's a lot of downside.There's even less upside in redraft. Judge was nothing his first year and while Kris Bryant was really good, he wasn't a game changer, particularly at the round he eventually had to be drafted in.

In terms of Puig specifically, I like Puig a lot but I could see going Acuna over Puig because Puig is pretty inconsistent year to year so he might be even riskier... but he'll get 2-4 weeks more of playing time to start the year  I guess.

In a redraft league you can dream on Acuna's upside, but there's other guys  too that can have a magical year that are available later in drafts or even off the wire.  If Acuna had a Chris Taylor or Whit Merrifield year (impact wise, not stat comparing), that would be an amazing success. 

In Dynasty, I'd be wayyyyyy more aggressive.

2 hours ago, irishbaseball59 said:

lordy! You can get Nunez or Cain in the same spot with almost guaranteed numbers

Acuna should be around 110-130 unless you know for sure he is gonna be 20/30 and even at that no way he hits over 270 IMO at least

Maybe in your league. Every league is so different and everybody values players. Throw ADP out the window.

38 minutes ago, rotodr said:

I win leagues based on near certainties(barring injury) with a few late lottery. Not buying a guy who could have a 20/30 season when a guy who is gonna have a certain 18/30 season and has done it before is being drafted in the same spot.

I will send you a video of my polishing my trophy is you like LMK

EWWWWWW

On 3/16/2018 at 8:12 AM, Dirtywater97 said:

Let's not get too excited guys. Baseball reference has a Opponent Quality rating on their spring training stats and Acuna's grades out at 6.7.

To give everyone perspective on that:

7.0 grades out to AA competition

8.0 - AAA

10.0 - MLB

2-2 against Gerrit Cole today so far.  Should boost this value up a bit?  

This kid is gonna be a stud, there is absolutely no way I would take Lorenzo Cain or Nunez over him. Would I risk a top 3 round pick on him? No. You need those to be your picks you count on, but he's a guy that could potentially provide a spark to help win your league. 

I don't play re-draft, so I don't know exactly where he's going.. but if he's last to round 7 (around 60-72 players) I'd be taking him in a heartbeat.. Even if you do completely whiff, you can recover from missing on a 7th round pick. 

Just now, Dirtywater97 said:

6.6 as of yesterday:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=acuna-002ron#batting_st::none

Hasn't been updated yet for today I think.

Can you please stop using that garbage stat! Going into the game yesterday he had a rating of 6.7. He faced a 2A pitcher (7.0) once and Zach Efflin twice. Efflin pitched more innings in the majors than he did in AAA last Year. So all three of his ab's were against ratings of 7-10, yet his overall rating went down by .1. That does not make sense.

5 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

Can you please stop using that garbage stat! Going into the game yesterday he had a rating of 6.7. He faced a 2A pitcher (7.0) once and Zach Efflin twice. Efflin pitched more innings in the majors than he did in AAA last Year. So all three of his ab's were against ratings of 7-10, yet his overall rating went down by .1. That does not make sense.

I just posted the stat, man. Nothing more, nothing less. Someone asked for it. Everything is going to be okaaaayyyyyyyyy. Take a deep breath.

3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

6.6 as of yesterday:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=acuna-002ron#batting_st::none

Hasn't been updated yet for today I think.

Just curious how are you interpreting the stat? Is this something that has been reliable in the past? I've never seen it before so I don't know if it's legit or not. Interesting nonetheless.. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check it out throughout the season. 

Despite the level of the quality of competition stats, he has absolutely destroyed everything in his path to this point. Does that automatically qualify for MLB success? No certainly not, but as of now that's all everyone has to go off of.. Not only has he done well at each stop (AA/AAA/AFL/Spring Training) he has freakin destroyed it. MLB is definitely a whole different ball game, BUT this is rare.. Dynasty league GOLD. 

13 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Just curious how are you interpreting the stat? Is this something that has been reliable in the past? I've never seen it before so I don't know if it's legit or not. Interesting nonetheless.. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check it out throughout the season. 

Despite the level of the quality of competition stats, he has absolutely destroyed everything in his path to this point. Does that automatically qualify for MLB success? No certainly not, but as of now that's all everyone has to go off of.. Not only has he done well at each stop (AA/AAA/AFL/Spring Training) he has freakin destroyed it. MLB is definitely a whole different ball game, BUT this is rare.. Dynasty league GOLD. 

Honestly I don't know what to make of it. It's my first year I've been aware of the stat. If I had some more historical context I'd probably be able to answer this properly. FWIW Kingery(6.6), Andujar(6.8), and Tucker(7.1), Brinson(7.6 and getting no love) all have low scores as well. This in comparison to someone like Kipnis who is having a great spring but is sitting at (8.4). The highest score of anyone who has played 10 games or more is 8.8. In context not certain what it all means yet, *shrug*. 

18 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

This kid is gonna be a stud, there is absolutely no way I would take Lorenzo Cain or Nunez over him. Would I risk a top 3 round pick on him? No. You need those to be your picks you count on, but he's a guy that could potentially provide a spark to help win your league. 

I don't play re-draft, so I don't know exactly where he's going.. but if he's last to round 7 (around 60-72 players) I'd be taking him in a heartbeat.. Even if you do completely whiff, you can recover from missing on a 7th round pick. 

That's the thing, re-draft is little more about situation. You play in leagues where you need to only worry about talent, but in re-draft talent automatically manifesting is a risk vs reward. Don't get me wrong i'm still a talent first guy in re-draft. (i.e. cream rises to the top) but situation is also important.

Cain is going into a great situation with his skill sets. Brewers are aggressive base runners and its a small ball park.  Cain has only hit 3 HRs at home each the last 2 years. While hitting 6 and 12 on the road. He's in line to have a career best in HRs, lots of SBs, 300 BA and 100+ Runs and its way more bankable. How much more upside .300  18-20 HR  25+ SB  100 Run that Cain could semi- reasonable attain vs a stud upside prospect in his very first year.  In the end its about the stat line, but I also dig the enticement of drafting a guy like Acuna. We do this for fun after all

47 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Honestly I don't know what to make of it. It's my first year I've been aware of the stat. If I had some more historical context I'd probably be able to answer this properly. FWIW Kingery(6.6), Andujar(6.8), and Tucker(7.1), Brinson(7.6 and getting no love) all have low scores as well. This in comparison to someone like Kipnis who is having a great spring but is sitting at (8.4). The highest score of anyone who has played 10 games or more is 8.8. In context not certain what it all means yet, *shrug*. 

It means ST numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. Always, though i'll say anyone with a 8.0 could just easy facing 50% MLB and 50% AA. I'd say AA/AAA guys should be in the same pot for challenge so this rating system isn't perfect.

18 hours ago, dilly3307 said:

18 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I just posted the stat, man. Nothing more, nothing less. Someone asked for it. Everything is going to be okaaaayyyyyyyyy. Take a deep breath.

I didn't mean to come across as being rude, but after reading my comment  I understand it looks that way. My apologies. The stat IMO means nothing. Like Slaty said, spring stats should be taken with a grain of salt. Yes Acuna homered off of Tanaka and Sanchez as well as Efflin who are major league arms. All different levels of major league arms IMO. And what is to say that those guys weren't working on a certain pitch they rarely throw and happened to throw a meat ball. So much variance to what is going on it's just hard to get any useful info out of it. What would be nice is if the ab's were broken down into those specific grade categories, that would allow us to take a little more out of it.

19 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

All different levels of major league arms IMO. And what is to say that those guys weren't working on a certain pitch they rarely throw and happened to throw a meat ball. So much variance to what is going on it's just hard to get any useful info out of it.

I have the same problem with the stat, TBH. Is hitting a home run off Tanaka even that impressive? He knows he'll be in the rotation and hopefully has nearly 200 innings to look forward to; his main goal is probably not hurting himself and maybe working on some of his weaker pitches. On the flip side, is doing damage against an Eflin that unimpressive? He probably needs to show something in the spring to secure the best roster spot and may not need to hold back like Tanaka. It's just all noise at this point, in my mind. All things being equal, though, I'd prefer to see Acuna hit and he's doing that.

Hmmm so when do we expect Acuna up? Is it a guarantee in late April? In re-draft with NA spots I'd love to know how high you guys are targeting him.

has anyone heard anything on if and when Acuna is promoted to the Braves if Inciarte or Acuna will play CF?  We have CF as a required position.

22 minutes ago, jb_power said:

has anyone heard anything on if and when Acuna is promoted to the Braves if Inciarte or Acuna will play CF?  We have CF as a required position.

From all I have heard on the radio, CF is Acuna

I am excited to see him play! I drafted Acuna in the 12th round before spring training started so i am glad i got him at good value; especially now that the hype is caught on and he is now going at 7th round. I think its not crazy to crazy to say he can get numbers in the range of 315-330 batting average/ 25-30hr/80-100 runs/ 70-90 RBI/25-40 SBs

This could be the next Mike Trout (remember his rookie campaign)! look forward to see how he performs this year