burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

Recommended Posts

 
by RotoWire Staff
(2 hrs ago) The Braves don't have any current plans to promote Acuna to the big leagues during their seven-game homestand that begins Monday against the Phillies, though that could change if the outfielder gets hot at the plate for Triple-A Gwinnett over the next few days, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports.

While splitting time between High-A Florida, Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett a season ago, Acuna established himself as the consensus top prospect in baseball after slashing a combined .325/.374/.522 across the three levels. After carrying over that impressive production to spring training, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Acuna would be promoted to the big club by mid-April, when Atlanta would have secured an extra year of team control. However, with Preston Tucker thriving as the Braves' primary left fielder and Acuna unexpectedly sputtering in his return to the International League -- he's gone 5-for-33 with 12 strikeouts through eight games -- Atlanta has slowed down the phenom's arrival to the big leagues. Given Acuna's impressive results at Gwinnett last season in a much larger sample of at-bats, his early struggles in 2018 are likely little more than a blip on the radar, so those who have been stashing the young phenom shouldn't be overly concerned. Once he strings together a few solid games in a row, Acuna should get his long-awaited call to the majors and immediately push for a full-time role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid tore it up during Spring Training.

He has nothing left to prove in the minors. Let him loose!!

 

Most importantly, I can't change my team name to "Acuna Matata" until he gets the call!! ???

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What doesn't make sense is that they think he's pressing... so I don't see how this helps him not press.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

What doesn't make sense is that they think he's pressing... so I don't see how this helps him not press.

Exactly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

What doesn't make sense is that they think he's pressing... so I don't see how this helps him not press.

Well you definitely don't want him pressing when he arrives, probably

best to wait until he's back to his old self before he gets the call. Just

my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

What doesn't make sense is that they think he's pressing... so I don't see how this helps him not press.

 

These teams are all playing mind-games with these kids. If your organization is generally structured around telling players that if they play well they will earn a promotion and then you don't give them that promotion due to contract issues, then you are really undercutting yourselves.

 

I don't know Acuna, but he seems a little emotional and he could just be pissed off at not getting promoted last year when he deserved and not getting promoted again this year after camp when he deserved it. Now he is likely sulking in the minors which is causing him to get off to a slow start. He is a pro, so he shouldn't let this bother him, but he is still just a 20 year old kid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Well you definitely don't want him pressing when he arrives, probably

best to wait until he's back to his old self before he gets the call. Just

my opinion.

 

My point is that if its out there that his promotion is being held up by his performance... now he's going to press harder to succeed. I don't know the right answer here. Maybe just say, we'd like to get him "X ABs" so he can relax and get some reps.

 

Ultimately, I figure the talent will just win sooner than later, but just seems like a self-defeating strategy that they're employing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wideopen21 said:

 

These teams are all playing mind-games with these kids. If your organization is generally structured around telling players that if they play well they will earn a promotion and then you don't give them that promotion due to contract issues, then you are really undercutting yourselves.

 

I don't know Acuna, but he seems a little emotional and he could just be pissed off at not getting promoted last year when he deserved and not getting promoted again this year after camp when he deserved it. Now he is likely sulking in the minors which is causing him to get off to a slow start. He is a pro, so he shouldn't let this bother him, but he is still just a 20 year old kid.  

^^^^^

This.  Bottom line, the kid deserves to be in the bigs.  If not for another year of control, he would've been in the lineup on opening day.  Now, they're going to play bs games with him, because he's not on fire, 8 games into the minor league season.  He had answered any and all questions, with his play in spring training.  This is horseshi..... well, crap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand the Braves waiting. They are getting nice production from both Kakes and Tucker. What does it say to the clubhouse when you bench guys who are producing for a 20 year old scuffling in triple A. 

 

"Yeah but he's not just some guy. He's Acuna ! The #1 prospect ! And I want him on my fantasy team ! "

 

Then be patient. If he's the real deal it won't be long before he's mashing and Preston Tucker starts doing Preston Tucker things. My only slight worry is if it drags on they'll find a reason to keep him down until super 2. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I can understand the Braves waiting. They are getting nice production from both Kakes and Tucker. What does it say to the clubhouse when you bench guys who are producing for a 20 year old scuffling in triple A. 

 

"Yeah but he's not just some guy. He's Acuna ! The #1 prospect ! And I want him on my fantasy team ! "

 

Then be patient. If he's the real deal it won't be long before he's mashing and Preston Tucker starts doing Preston Tucker things. My only slight worry is if it drags on they'll find a reason to keep him down until super 2. 

 

Acuna lead the braves in HRs and batted .432 in spring training. Markakis and Tucker combined for 1 HR in the spring. So the Braves have established a pattern for not caring about production and instead being more focused on other, off the field, aspects. Just sayin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

 

Yeah... that protest went nowhere though. Which strengthens the Braves position.

Still if waiting till he has a huge game (any day now) eliminates the protest then I could see that logic, particularly after this past offseason 

Edited by Magoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

 

Acuna lead the braves in HRs and batted .432 in spring training. Markakis and Tucker combined for 1 HR in the spring. So the Braves have established a pattern for not caring about production and instead being more focused on other, off the field, aspects. Just sayin...

 

I don't think spring training stats have anything to do with this situation.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5134474

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda chilly in here .... :D

 

Anyone trading this guy straight up for Senzel or Walker Buehler? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Kinda chilly in here .... :D

 

Anyone trading this guy straight up for Senzel or Walker Buehler? 

Not me man. Vlad Jr, maybe. Thats it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I'll just leave this right here for more fodder to "justify" the Braves actions:

 

http://wgntv.com/2015/12/07/kris-bryant-filed-grievance-against-cubs-over-manipulation-of-service-time-report/

Based on that, there could actually be a reverse argument for why the Braves kept him down. If he raked last year, and raked in ST, but then did terrible in AAA and was called up exactly after the service time date, it’d be even more transparent that they didn’t care about performance. Good or bad, he was only coming up on that date. By making him wait longer, maybe it gives them plausible deniability while Tucker hits anyways. 

 

Still dumb, but not impossible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line to me at the moment is there's not a glaring need at the Major League level and Acuna isn't forcing the issue at the minor league level. I'm still completely in on Acuna but one of those things has to change, I think, before he comes up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 more k’s and an empty line. It might be a while. Ugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ragrag said:

2 more k’s and an empty line. It might be a while. Ugh. 

 

Not an empty line, he walked twice. Hater!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.