burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

Just now, Shortnphat said:

Not an empty line, he walked twice. Hater!

Love the player. Hate the situation. 

I don't think Atlanta is really slowing down his development by putting a little pressure to perform on him. 

That said, the situation should be all about developing Acuna. Nothing that Tucker or Markakis are currently doing should have any bearing on the decision making process. 

10 hours ago, ragrag said:

Love the player. Hate the situation. 

It's not a bad situation at all, they were able to shed themselves of Kemp. He's not blocked, he's simply working through some early season struggles which gives the organization the ability to save face for a little while in terms of "See? Starting him in AAA had nothing to do with gaining an extra year of team control or we would have called him up on April 13th", when in fact it had everything to do with it and was likely the only reason. The early season struggles fit into the organization's narrative perfectly as it will be tougher for Acuna to go the Kris Bryant/Maikel Franco sue the team route.

I'd be willing to bet that as soon as he goes on a hot streak, he's up, possibly even sooner if he has a monster game.

I'm not sure Acuna really cares or is trying that hard at AAA, and I say that after reports of him basically loafing through the AFL.

He knows he belongs in Atlanta, not Gwinett.  He knows this is all about service time and $$, so my guess is he's kinda goofing off and loafing a bit. 

Can you really blame him?

20 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I'm not sure Acuna really cares or is trying that hard at AAA, and I say that after reports of him basically loafing through the AFL.

He knows he belongs in Atlanta, not Gwinett.  He knows this is all about service time and $$, so my guess is he's kinda goofing off and loafing a bit. 

Can you really blame him?

Having watched every AB, I don't see it. For the first week or so, I saw a guy trying too hard... being too aggressive. Got caught stealing. Got doubled off second when he tried to tag up on a flyball and the guy on third didn't. I don't see that overaggression as a sign of laziness.

Now, while the results aren't there yet... his ABs are getting better. Last night, he had multiple very good, long ABs. He's missing pitches he would normally hammer, but he's more consistently swinging at strikes and spitting on even tough pitches outside the zone. We'll see if he can put it together.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From the team's perspective, maybe Tucker plays well enough to bring something back in a trade and, frankly, if Acuna is loafing or frustrated, that is something he needs to learn to deal with. I don't agree with the decision to send him down but that's done; I'm sure the Braves would love him to make them look bad with a hot streak at AAA. If he's not producing because of frustration or feeling he's better than the level, that is something that is on him and not the organization to work through.

FWIW, some of the reports I heard on him in the AFL also acknowledged that he was probably pretty worn down by that point. He basically went from Australian to A-Ball to AA to AAA to AFL over 10 months or so all at 19, all after missing a big chunk of the previous year with injury. I'd cut the kid some slack on that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Having watched every AB, I don't see it. For the first week or so, I saw a guy trying too hard... being too aggressive. Got caught stealing. Got doubled off second when he tried to tag up on a flyball and the guy on third didn't. I don't see that overaggression as a sign of laziness.

Now, while the results aren't there yet... his ABs are getting better. Last night, he had multiple very good, long ABs. He's missing pitches he would normally hammer, but he's more consistently swinging at strikes and spitting on even tough pitches outside the zone. We'll see if he can put it together.

To be clear, I didn't mean it as a negative on Acuna ... I think these games by the organization are understandable for the extra year of control, but at this point are silly.  They can win a wild card this year.  

Glad to hear his ABs are getting better as I've not personally watched him.

• Like 1

Just now, JFS179 said:

To be clear, I didn't mean it as a negative on Acuna ... I think these games by the organization are understandable for the extra year of control, but at this point are silly.  They can win a wild card this year.  

Understood. Everyone thinks this player is a rare talent. One that does not exist every year.

I just don't want there to be a perpetuated lazy narrative when I have personally observed something pretty antithetical to that narrative. This is a young, hyper aggressive kid who needs to calm down, take a breathe, and trust his skills. Its starting to happen imo. Hopefully, he's rewarded for his approach improvements.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, Tucker is 2 for his last 20 with no walks and 7k's.  Air out of the balloon.  

You really want to see him up by this weekend.  After that, we're probably looking at May 4th as the next date.  If that passes, who knows?  

6 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Over the years I've seen enough Jeff Francouer's, Jason Heywards, Jordan Schafer's, Kelly Johnson's (yes, he was a pretty good prospect), and countless pitchers to wait this one out a little bit.  For whatever reason you want to list, he's struggling in AAA now, so he gets promoted and faces better pitchers.  If he continues to struggle, then what?   It's not like he won't face pressure once he reaches the bigs.  The Braves need to get this one right.  And before anyone says none of those guys are Acuna, Heyward was a top 5 prospect and Frenchy was on the cover of SI.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, AA favoured road trip call ups when he was GM in Toronto. Brett Lawrie had a lot of hype and was called up on the road in Baltimore. I remember the local radio guys talking about how it put a little less of a spotlight on Lawrie.  

45 minutes ago, craiggrebeck said:

FWIW, AA favoured road trip call ups when he was GM in Toronto. Brett Lawrie had a lot of hype and was called up on the road in Baltimore. I remember the local radio guys talking about how it put a little less of a spotlight on Lawrie.  

He's certainly out of the spotlight

• Haha 3

Would not be shocked if he gets the call for the Mets series this Thurs which would be great since I have tickets for Fri nights game. If not than I don't see it happening till May 4 when they return home against the Giants.

Just hit a 2 run homer for his 2nd hit of the night....progress.

Edited by Carlos Correa
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

Just hit a 2 run homer for his 2nd hit of the night....progress.

does that mean hes coming up tomorrow????

hit a rope today that should have been a double - he overslid second on accident but was there in plenty of time..and then flies out, 2-run homer, strikeout, and a walk to end his night.  Progress!  Let's build on this :)

• Like 1

I think there's an Aaron Rodgers quote that sums up this situation pretty well. It'll all work out pretty quickly I imagine. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Straight from the horses mouth:

Yes, yes, lets waste that initial hot streak im AAA. Smart, very smart. He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

11 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Yes, yes, lets waste that initial hot streak im AAA. Smart, very smart. He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

In the Braves defense, when you have a guy like Nick Markakis batting .266 this year and having hit 26 HRs over the last 480 or so games, it's tough ti find room for a kid like Acuna......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rrrrich46 said:

You meant that to be sarcastic right? Markakis is the definition of placeholder.

Haha I re read that post like 6 times, had a reply all typed out...then said to myself this 100% has to be sarcasm, so cancelled the reply, closed the window, and felt good about it.

• Haha 1