burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

Thanks Hanghow - it's actually a "draft anyone in the world that hasn't lost their prospect status or previously been drafted" league. I had picks #2 and #6 and went with Seth Beer and Ronald Acuna. Eloy went #1 followed by Beer, Senzel, Louis Robert, Moniak and Acuna. (I drafted Benintendi and Otani last year in the first round)

I toyed with Senzel as well, but already had Bregman and was looking for long term options at 1B and OF.

• Like 1

Acuna just has a 'special' feel about him. I know that offers little substance, but I think we are looking at a Top5 prospect by years end.

• Like 1

Really happy to have this guy stashed in my system- the speed seems better than expected and at age 19 is more than holding his own in high A.  Are we looking at June '19 as our expected ETA or could it be sooner?

"With him, it's being consistent at this level," Florida hitting coach Carlos A. Mendez said. "Today we talked to him, watched some video and tried to keep him short -- sometimes he gets long with his stride, and when he gets long he misses fastballs he should hit. He's at that age where he thinks he needs to hit the ball really hard; we try to keep him calm and at 80 percent effort, and he can do damage at 80 percent."

The 6-foot, 180-pound outfielder struck out twice in three at-bats against Tirado (1-2) on April 22, singling to right in his other at-bat. Acuna fanned three times overall that night, the third time this season he's had at least three strikeouts. After going down on strikes 25 times in his first 15 games of the year, however, Acuna has fanned 12 times in his last 10 contests.

"I think it just comes with pregame routines and practice; he has to keep applying what he does there in the game," Mendez said. "He's a kid who can hit the ball out of the park and use the whole field for power -- he's that talented -- and sometimes you take that for granted and every swing wants to be a home run. ... He can hit any fastball with that bat speed and what he can do with his hands. He knows the strike zone."

As with most talented teenagers, Acuna has his share of bad games -- he's gone hitless eight times with the Fire Frogs. He also has eight multi-hit games, and the Florida staff is looking to turn his high-level flashes into more consistency.

Acuna was compared to Andruw Jones by Braves manager Brian Snitker, and Jones was on hand for the Fire Frogs' recent series in Palm Beach. Acuna didn't record a hit and struck out five times in the three-game set, and Mendez feels like his young outfielder may have been pressing in front of an idol.

"Jones was watching us play last series and that's one reason Acuna got wild -- Jones is one of the guys he likes and he reminds me of Andruw," Mendez said. "He had a rough series and got long and pull-happy. It's part of the process he's learning. He's 19 years old and being a kid sometimes he wants to do a little too much. Ronald can hit the ball out of any park, he can throw and he's already good in the field but will get better. He's got a high ceiling."

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/florida-fire-frogs-ronald-acuna-smacks-four-hits/c-228589228/t-185364810

Promoted to AA Mississippi. Aggressive move by the Braves and I like it. Glad he won't be in the very pitcher friendly Florida State League any longer. 

Wow that's a VERY aggressive move considering he hasn't had a ton of ABs.

Love the aggressiveness of the Braves here, but worried about that K rater in AA.

It's aggressive but warranted with his talent. Yes, I do worry a bit about the K's too, but this kid has monster potential.

• Like 1

With the promotion are you guys starting to like him over the following guys? Brinson, Zimmer, Eloy Jimenez? I know some of these guys are a lot closer, but just looking at overall tools and overall future production do you like him better than some of the other top OF prospects?

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

With the promotion are you guys starting to like him over the following guys? Brinson, Zimmer, Eloy Jimenez? I know some of these guys are a lot closer, but just looking at overall tools and overall future production do you like him better than some of the other top OF prospects?

Yes,Yes, and Yes

I wouldn't worry about the K rate for a guy who's been playing well above his age to level IMO.

Coming into the season I've seen reports of him between 2019-2020. I read today that it could be 2018 if he keeps producing at AA.

• Like 1

I'd hang my hat on Acuna > Robles at this point. Everything about his play screams superstar to me. 

4 hours ago, JoshBBR said:

I'd hang my hat on Acuna > Robles at this point. Everything about his play screams superstar to me. 

I'd say both of them scream superstar. Might be 1 and 2 amongst outfield prospects. 

9 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Hit a HR in his first at bat today. 

Wow lol. Does anyone know anything about the park he's playing in now? 

1 hour ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Wow lol. Does anyone know anything about the park he's playing in now? 

I do not, but I do know that the league it much more hitter friendly than where he was at High A, which might be a small part of their thinking in the promo. Most all the big scouts said after ST that this kid has way more future power than originally believed. I think he might be tapping into that sooner now?

This kid is going to be good. Looking forward to him and Freeman in the same lineup. 

Edited by Sine_cera