burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

Barves just signed Jose Bautista to a minor league deal.  I’m assuming to take acuna place when he gets called up 

wtf.gif

Edited by crotchcrickets

6 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Barves just signed Jose Bautista to a minor league deal.  I’m assuming to take acuna place when he gets called up 

wtf.gif

Braves probably thinking that if they keep Acuna in the minors for the rest of his career they'll never be forced to give him a big contract.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

wtf.gif

But get this:

They just signed Bautista as an infielder

Edited by Philoumenos

As a Braves fan I've grown tired of Markakis hitting cleanup, It's really hurting the rest of the players production especially Freeman. Acuna would strike fear in opposing SP immediately. They're only costing us wins by keeping him down. I'd rather he came up and figured it out instead of wasting talent in AAA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMurphy77 said:

As a Braves fan I've grown tired of Markakis hitting cleanup, It's really hurting the rest of the players production especially Freeman. Acuna would strike fear in opposing SP immediately. They're only costing us wins by keeping him down. I'd rather he came up and figured it out instead of wasting talent in AAA.

Agree completely. Much better protection. Thats going to be a strong 1 through 4. 

Really hope Freeman isn't out for a long time.  Kind of wonder if the organization would just park Acuna in AAA until Super 2 or even a full season if they are not competing w/o Freeman.  

Edited by ragrag

15 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Really hope Freeman isn't out for a long time.  Kind of wonder if the organization would just park Acuna in AAA until Super 2 or even a full season if they are not competing w/o Freeman.  

Or maybe Acuna is the guy to bridge the gap until Frederick gets back.... If not the Rangers(and that's not happening) then I'd love to see the Braves win it this year. 

3 hours ago, ragrag said:

if freddie is out for an extended period time is there any chance markakis can  play 1st and open up an outfield spot for acuna?

I don't get what the Bautista signing have to do with Acuna's major league chances. 

2 hours ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

if freddie is out for an extended period time is there any chance markakis can  play 1st and open up an outfield spot for acuna?

Acuna will be replacing Tucker (the guy hitting 235 in april), not Markakis.

Acuna isn't being parked in AAA if Freeman is out long term.

The speculation in here is unreal.

• Like 3

Bautista signing has zero to do with Acuna. The Braves signed Ryan Howard to a minor league deal a year or two ago, they like to kick the tires and this is Bautista's old GM throwing him a bone to give him an outside chance to revive his career for one more year. 

If Acuna comes up, I'm guessing it's at the expense of Peter Borjous on the 25 man roster and Preston Tucker in the field/line up. Borjous has been a late inning defensive replacement who hasn't been great out there and terrible at the plate. Acuna wouldn't need the defensive replacement late in games. Tucker could get some playing time as a pinch hitter, 1st, and the corner outfield spots.

Edited by Bigfische
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Vman7 said:

Yeah, Tucker now is tied for the NL RBI lead. That’s pretty significant. 

Do MLB front offices really still value the RBI stat that highly? I thought front offices were moving towards more analytical evaluations. I don't think Tucker is blocking Acuna in any way. The GM said they are just waiting for him to get hot. If they called him up now, it would be too obvious that they sent him down for service time reasons. They need a "reason" to call him up.

15 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Do MLB front offices really still value the RBI stat that highly? I thought front offices were moving towards more analytical evaluations. I don't think Tucker is blocking Acuna in any way. The GM said they are just waiting for him to get hot. If they called him up now, it would be too obvious that they sent him down for service time reasons. They need a "reason" to call him up.

Well he's OPSing .872 too. Atlanta leads the NL in OPS and runs scored. If Tucker was OPSing .600 and the offense was struggling he'd be up. I think there could be a little bit of a "don't fix what ain't broke" to it.

• Like 2

im thinking now it will be at some point in may when gets called up. God damn Preston tucker had to ruin this. I really hope he gets hurt

Just now, Jpress82 said:

im thinking now it will be at some point in may when gets called up. God damn Preston tucker had to ruin this. I really hope he gets hurt

Not cool

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jpress82 said:

Jobs aren't and shouldn't be handed out to the youngest players based on what they might eventually do; jobs need to be taken and Acuna in the very early part of this season hasn't been doing that. It's completely within his control, as stated directly by the GM.

5 minutes ago, Jpress82 said:

maybe not hurt but i hope he slumps so acuna gets the call

Again, Tucker is not blocking Acuna in any way. Acuna is in control of his own destiny. He needs to get back to the way he was hitting last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lassetjus said:

Sure, I don't think MLB offices are chasing numbers like RBIs and wins.

But the guy currently is hitting .288/.333/.538 with a 137 wRC+, and is 6th among their position players in WAR (0.4). Hell, he's even 18th on the average exit velocity leaderboard. If they're using any stats we have access to, they don't seem to have a lot of reason to send him down. And if he's performing this well, maybe he's made some adjustments and broken out (again?). 

I get that people here want Acuna to come up, but you have to consider the Braves' position. From an analytics perspective as a front office, they have access to info we don't. So again, maybe they believe in the breakout for even other reasons we don't quite have access to. And secondly, as a kind of human element to team management, you can't really dump the guy who's hitting .288/.333/.538 simply because the other guy has a better pedigree. What kind of message does that send to the rest of your system? I've seen that done for years on my own favorite team, and it is a D-U-M-B way to manage a team.

• Like 4