burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

It was also Anthopoulos who made the trade for Tucker just this December.  Not saying they made that trade thinking he'd need to be the everyday starter but clearly there are things they liked about him which drove the Braves to trade for him (albeit it was a very minor deal). 

As others have said, given how the season has started for the two (Tucker playing well, Acuna not so well), it just wouldn't make sense.  I'm pretty confident whenever Acuna starts playing like everyone expects him to (crushing baseballs), the Braves will make it happen and will figure out what to do with Tucker later (probably their fourth OF).  With how things are right now though, there's no reason to randomly call him up. 

• Like 1

^^ this makes sense but it doesn’t mean I have to like it haha. Seriously though, I completely agree. The Braves are playing well right now and why bring someone up who’s young and not playing well when they have someone in his place playing well. It’s only a matter of time though before we see Acuna get the call as he’s already begun to turn things around. 

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

^^ this makes sense but it doesn’t mean I have to like it haha. Seriously though, I completely agree. The Braves are playing well right now and why bring someone up who’s young and not playing well when they have someone in his place playing well. It’s only a matter of time though before we see Acuna get the call as he’s already begun to turn things around. 

So when acuna is performing better in AAA than tucker is in MLB then we can expect his call up?

Acuna needs to remember What About Bob and Baby Steps

Baby Steps through the minors, baby steps into spring training, baby steps back into the minors, baby steps performing in the minors, baby steps into the Majors, MONSTER steps into fantasy relevance 

***There are also some baby steps into elevators and buses and goldfish in jars aroujnd necks  involved as well (which would make for an awesoome rally giveaway idea!)

Edited by jahweedum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Article from Wednesday the 18th. Clearly waiting until he started to find some consistency at AAA.. Currently hitting .214 as of today

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-braves-top-prospect-ronald-acuna-jr-not-coming-up-soon/m4t9f1nk983618a8avfrphrpc

"We're looking for Ronald to just get hot at this point," general manager Alex Anthopoulos told MLB.com. "More development isn't going to hurt anybody. We prefer to call players up when they're playing at a high level, and when they're locked in."

Acuna is currently sporting a .182 batting average with just eight hits in 44 at-bats in the minors. He has just two extra-base hits and is striking out more than 38 percent of his times to the plate. He is ranked as MLB pipeline's No. 2 overall prospect only behind Angels two-way phenom Shohei Ohtani.

Anthopolous sees no reason in calling up a player who isn't seeing the ball well even at the minor-league level.

"I've been told he'll expand [the strike zone] and chase," Anthopoulos said. "The swing-and-miss has been there and the strikeout total has been higher than we would like."

Edited by The Bronx Bozo

2 hours ago, The Bronx Bozo said:

We're looking for Ronald to just get hot at this point," general manager Alex Anthopoulos told MLB.com. "More development isn't going to hurt anybody.

Uhh, he was hot at the end of spring training, sir.  

So to cover their tracks about an extra year of control, they've effectively messed with the psyche of their best hitter.

If I was Acuna's agent, I would be going ballistic right now.  

If they cared about being hot he’d have started up with the team, that clearly wasn’t the case then.  They are trying to save face now because they have guys who are producing fairly well at the ml level so they don’t want to rock the boat while still maybe even delaying Acuna until mid May at this point.  I’m starting to resign myself to the fact that this is more about waiting for Tucker to fall apart rather than Acuna to get hot.

7 minutes ago, AJdude said:

So to cover their tracks about an extra year of control, they've effectively messed with the psyche of their best hitter.

Yeah, and Ohtani sucked in the spring. Spring numbers don't mean a thing; if he was performing in the regular season, he'd already be up. 

It's a fair ask on the Braves part. 

If you're the best prospect in baseball step up and show it. Especially if it earns you the call to the show. 

If this little bit of pressure is too much to handle, well, more development is definitely in order. Toughen up buttercup, there's a bigger stage waiting and all you have to do is handle a very little bit of adversity. 

Edited by treat88
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

Already 0-2 with a K tonight.

Gzus only update when he's ripping it please...

6 hours ago, AJdude said:

Lots of players get hot in the spring. It doesn't mean anything.

If he's ready for MLB play, he should rip the MiLB pitchers to pieces. It's not like he's even making the "service time shenanigans" argument very strong like Kris Bryant did when he was going .321/.364/.679, or Springer going .353/.459/.647.

We've seen what Acuna does when he moves up a level.  Apparently this is what he does when he's demoted.  At this rate if you put him back in High-A I'm not convinced he rakes there.  Hope he gets back on track soon.  If he keeps going 1-4 with a couple of K's vs AAA he won't be up until Super 2 or later.

Edited by ragrag

16 hours ago, Hanghow said:

Yeah, and Ohtani sucked in the spring. Spring numbers don't mean a thing; if he was performing in the regular season, he'd already be up. 

I get it, but my point is Anthro-whatever is saying they're waiting for him to get hot before calling him up, but he's only saying that to cover his tracks to avoid a potential situation over a union complaint over service time issues.

If you were Acuna and you heard that, after being hot for the entirety of 2017 and fall ball, as well as 2018 spring training, wouldn't it tick you off?

1 hour ago, AJdude said:

I get it, but my point is Anthro-whatever is saying they're waiting for him to get hot before calling him up, but he's only saying that to cover his tracks to avoid a potential situation over a union complaint over service time issues.

If you were Acuna and you heard that, after being hot for the entirety of 2017 and fall ball, as well as 2018 spring training, wouldn't it tick you off?

If he's ticked off, start hitting the damn ball and quit whiffing.

For now, all he's showing them is he is where he deserves to be and would be a liability if called up, especially if his slump is due to pouting. 

Edited by treat88
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, treat88 said:

If he's ticked off, start hitting the damn ball and quit whiffing.

For now, all he's showing them is he is where he deserves to be and would be a liability if called up, especially if his slump is due to pouting. 

Hiding behind the "quit pouting and start producing"  rhetoric when the guy produced for over a year is a weak cover for the fact that the Braves want to disguse thier true intentions as to why he was kept off the opening day roster in the first place.

If you were passed up for a promotion at work that you deserved because of some technicality and then made a mistake a few weeks after and then your boss came over and gloated and said "See, this is why I didn't promote you" wouldn't you be upset?

It's almost as if they're happy he is slumping because then they can cover their tracks as to the service time game they were playing to get the union off their back.

I hope he requests a trade and sits out the year.  The Braves are treating him like garbage.

25 minutes ago, AJdude said:

Hiding behind the "quit pouting and start producing"  rhetoric when the guy produced for over a year is a weak cover for the fact that the Braves want to disguse thier true intentions as to why he was kept off the opening day roster in the first place.

If you were passed up for a promotion at work that you deserved because of some technicality and then made a mistake a few weeks after and then your boss came over and gloated and said "See, this is why I didn't promote you" wouldn't you be upset?

It's almost as if they're happy he is slumping because then they can cover their tracks as to the service time game they were playing to get the union off their back.

I hope he requests a trade and sits out the year.  The Braves are treating him like garbage.

They were more aggressive last year than they needed to be with him. He was on only very short hot steak at Hi-A when he was moved up. They could have easily let him languish there for half the year and slowed his ascent if they wanted to actively screw him. What the Braves are doing is on the better end of what Acuna could have expected from any MLB team. The Yankees did the same thing with Torres except he put up a .900 OPS and is starting in the majors today. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, AJdude said:

I feel like we’ve gone off the deep end with Acuna. 

Saying he produced for “over a year” is kind of pushing it. He started the year in A+ ball, was promoted to AA and spent around half the season at AAA. 

I don’t think the Braves are really trying to disguise anything. Other players, Bryant included, have filed grievances over service time games and had them go nowhere. So they don’t need to get the union off their back. I suppose you could say they’re trying to play the PR game for their fanbase, and that’s probably true. 

But if Acuna was producing right now, he’d be up. If he was doing what Springer or Bryant did in their callup years, he’d be up. But he’s not doing that. If he was even doing what Torres had done, he would be up!

And that’s why the analogy is goofy. Your boss isn’t “gloating” because you made a singular mistake. Your boss is saying “this is why you weren’t promoted” because your entire performance took a nosedive, and because the “other guys” (Tucker as one such guy) haven’t nosedived. 

I don’t think they’re happy he’s not doing well. They’re probably happy that Tucker has acquitted himself reasonably well and not forced them to rush Acuna, sure. But I don’t think they’re pleased he’s struggling. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ragrag said:

We've seen what Acuna does when he moves up a level.  Apparently this is what he does when he's demoted.  At this rate if you put him back in High-A I'm not convinced he rakes there.  Hope he gets back on track soon.  If he keeps going 1-4 with a couple of K's vs AAA he won't be up until Super 2 or later.

He needs to come up soon. I don't understand why he needs to go on a hitting streak just to get the call.  Most likely he will struggle a bit initially regardless but I'd rather he comes up and work through it.   Tucker has been struggling lately and Markakis has wore out his welcome as our cleanup hitter, The Braves need more power in the lineup badly.

3 minutes ago, DMurphy77 said:

He needs to come up soon. I don't understand why he needs to go on a hitting streak just to get the call.  Most likely he will struggle a bit initially regardless but I'd rather he comes up and work through it.   Tucker has been struggling lately and Markakis has wore out his welcome as our cleanup hitter, The Braves need more power in the lineup badly.

2 days since a 5 rbi day = struggling lately

1 minute ago, pmccurry said:

2 days since a 5 rbi day = struggling lately

That's ONE good game out of the last 7..........ONE. 

It’s easy to forget that most players don’t sniff the bigs at age 20.  It’s good on him to face a little adversity and overcome. At least mgmt has been transparent. Get hot and come up. So many players in the minors would love for that to be their situation. 

• Like 5

Just now, ragrag said:

It’s easy to forget that most players don’t sniff the bigs at age 20.  It’s good on him to face a little adversity and overcome. At least mgmt has been transparent. Get hot and come up. So many players in the minors would love for that to be their situation. 

This. 

1 hour ago, AJdude said:

Of course they are playing service time games. It happens to every prospect. 

So?  Did he expect something else?  Why would he? Not getting special treatment does not equate to "being treated like garbage". 

Again, if he can't overcome this little bit of mental adversity he isn't ready. If this is him dogging it for not getting special treatment then he doesn't deserve to be up yet. 

He can make it easy of himself and everyone else if he just starts hitting. It's up to him. 

Edited by treat88

5 minutes ago, ragrag said:

It’s also easy to forget that we’re only a year out from everyone questioning the Braves management on whether they handled Dansby right. 

So I dunno, it’s hard to be surprised by what’s happening.