burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Another 3-4 game! Another SB too, also a BB today.

Marshall.gif

What sort of ETA are we guessing at here? I know only 19 years old and just got the bump to AA. But are people thinking September 2018 as the soonest possible?

Have a feeling just based off the recent promotion and organization depth chart that he is up long before V. Robles. 

Double A already and I know this is crazy talk he could get a cup of coffee this year? On a scale of ridiculous how high is that?

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

Double A already and I know this is crazy talk he could get a cup of coffee this year? On a scale of ridiculous how high is that?

Like an 8 out of 10. If he keeps mashing well stranger things have happened. I wouldn't bet on it at all though. Realistic earliest call up would be June 2018? Maybe Latest being April 2019. 

2 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

What sort of ETA are we guessing at here? I know only 19 years old and just got the bump to AA. But are people thinking September 2018 as the soonest possible?

Have a feeling just based off the recent promotion and organization depth chart that he is up long before V. Robles. 

Inciarte is signed to a long-term deal and is looking very solid.

Kemp is signed through 2019, but could be offloaded in a salary dump at any time.

Markakis is signed through 2018, and could easily become a 4th OF.

My best guess would be mid-2018, assuming the Braves have learned their lesson after calling up Dansby Swanson way too early.  Assuming no injuries, it would make sense for him to be a starter in that OF after Super-Two in 2018.  Markakis or Kemp get traded, or Markakis gets benched.  However, if there were a season-ending injury, it wouldn't shock me to see Acuna this year.  

They aggressively promoted Andruw (only 50 games above A-ball), Dansby (84 games in AA), Furcal (directly from Hi-A), Andrelton (44 games in AA), and probably others I'm not thinking of right now.

• Like 2

Look at Adames, Albies and Tellez and make no assumptions about advancement. "Yeah, but can he hit this breaking stuff?" is a question these kids have to keep answering right up to Kershaw. (Random here, but I like Hoskins' adjustment to promotion pitching better than anybody not named Cody)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nodnarbnap said:

There ANY SHOT this dude is up this year?

Depending on what ATL does at the trading deadline, I could absolutely see him in the bigs for a cup of coffee...

14 hours ago, nodnarbnap said:

I just can't see that happening.  At the moment, he's the youngest guy in all of AA.  Love his game though.

Edited by indycolts88

14 hours ago, nodnarbnap said:

Shoot, with the Braves I gotta believe it's not an impossibility at all...

15 hours ago, nodnarbnap said:

I couldn't see the Braves calling him up without seeing what he would do at AAA.  If they are serious about potentially bringing him up this year at any point, he'll see AAA first......so watch for that move, then we'll know. 

I think the move to AA Mississippi was more about getting him out of the very unfriendly to hitting Florida state league which could've hurt his confidence than it was trying to rush him up to possibly get him to the bigs this year. 

BABIP a little inflated at AA. I think his true talent is more .565 - .600. ?

K rate of about 15% over the last 10 days and reasonable rates the previous two years; I'm growing more inclined to call the surge early this year an anomaly.

2-2 with a HR so far today. Has slowed down a bit lately which is understandable. 

Personally, I love that his 10-day OPS of .853 as a 19-year-old in AA qualifies as "slowing down." Here's hoping it's short-lived, though!

Seems to have made a dramatic adjustment judging by his K/BB ratio from A to AA. Perhaps that's just the hit start in AA, but it suggests he's being more selective in a small sample. 

Edited by smarmy