burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

On 6/12/2017 at 7:56 AM, Fenamo said:

Andrelton Simmons was promoted to stay after 44 games 203 PA (.744 OPS) at AA.

Dansby Swanson was promoted to stay after 84 games 377 PA (.745 OPS) at AA.

(super sad for the current roster of the Braves that there are not more homegrown examples...)

Ronald Acuna has 31 games 135 PA (.901 OPS).

The braves are not shy about promoting their stud prospects directly from AA. Acuna will be in the majors as a teenager. 

Also Jason Heyward. He got 47 games at AAA (and a whole 3 games at AAA) before starting the next season in the majors (with no consideration to service time shenanigans). I agree that Atlanta tends to be aggressive. Heck, moving Acuna up to AA this fast is aggressive.  I think the only problem is where to play. But even that is just waiting on the next injury

• Like 2

On 6/12/2017 at 5:56 AM, Fenamo said:

Andrelton Simmons was promoted to stay after 44 games 203 PA (.744 OPS) at AA.

Dansby Swanson was promoted to stay after 84 games 377 PA (.745 OPS) at AA.

(super sad for the current roster of the Braves that there are not more homegrown examples...)

Ronald Acuna has 31 games 135 PA (.901 OPS).

The braves are not shy about promoting their stud prospects directly from AA. Acuna will be in the majors as a teenager. 

I suspect they moved a touch fast with those guys. I love their aggressive approach when it comes to moving guys up through the minors but I think a but of seasoning before jumping to the top level is needed. I'm not sure the majors is the best place for them to learn the game.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TigerUnderGlass said:

I suspect they moved a touch fast with those guys. I love their aggressive approach when it comes to moving guys up through the minors but I think a but of seasoning before jumping to the top level is needed. I'm not sure the majors is the best place for them to learn the game.

Agreed.  A Sept. call up plus ST next year to see if hes ready to be in the opening day lineup seems like the right way to go IMO. If he's not he gets ready in AAA and will be up sometime near the middle of next season barring injury or just flat out sucking. 

Edited by jdbob11
  • Like 1

Very very interesting... thinking about grabbing him.. could he possibly be getting time in the bigs this year at 19?!

I got a spot to play with for now, might as well take a flyer and see how he does in AAA. He's a stud in keeper leagues

8 hours ago, einstein2u said:

hmm, maybe a trading markakis and give the kid a chance if he is raking.  

As a Braves fan, I'd love to trade Nick at this point.  He's the plain toast of baseball; the pleated khakis, the daytime tv, the Sunday afternoon bowling on ESPN, the water with no lemon.

Nick is the celery stick next to the Acuna buffalo wing. 

• Like 5

I would say the only real concern is being caught stealing 11 times in AA.  He's only 19 though of course, and obviously his potential is huge regardless.

If you don't own him, and you want him, you'd better grab now.  Obviously a long shot to hold much value In redrafts, Dynos he should already be gone.  Keeper league?  Ya, the time is now

So has Acuna surpassed Victor Robles as the top power / speed OF  prospect?

Majority of preseason rankings had Robles as a Top 10 while Acuna was further on down the lists.  Acuna is now in AAA while Robles is still in A+.

Just now, WadderBoiz said:

I've been watching this kid all year.  I have J. Urias as a minor league keeper, would you drop him to add Acuna?

absolutely

Acuna has been impressive, but is only 19. I'm not sure what their rush is with him. He struggled for most of June before getting hot again so far in July. I wasn't expecting the promotion to AAA so soon.

7 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

I wasn't expecting the promotion to AAA so soon.

Me either.  Is this just a temporary audition in AAA then back to AA or could we see him in the bigs this season?  Interesting move...

Thanks for everyone's input

9 minutes ago, Palmetto08 said:

Me either.  Is this just a temporary audition in AAA then back to AA or could we see him in the bigs this season?  Interesting move...

Thanks for everyone's input

This is by no means temporary. He had the highest exit velocity hit and throw at the futures game. Has been demolishing AA pitching in recent weeks and is showing a refining batter's eye that is improving as he flies through the system. 

He's on the Andruw Jones fast track so far. It's getting quite eerie to be frank. I stand by my earlier assessment that Acuna will be in The Show as a teenager. 

In 1996, the 19-year-old Jones started the season in High-A. He hit .313 with 17 home runs and 43 RBI in 66 games. Then he hit .369 in 38 games in Double-A with 12 home runs and 37 RBI.

The Braves then moved Jones to Triple-A. Jones then hit .378 with five home runs and 12 RBI in 12 games. That was all the Braves needed to see, as they moved him up to Atlanta for the rest of the 1996 season. -The Telegraph

Edited by Fenamo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

So MLB comparison?  

Seems like a splash of Mookie to me. 20HR/30SB with good stats all around.

I'm no expert, but thats what it feels like based on the comments in here and the prospect lists.

Probably gonna add him in my keeper league and keep him next year as one of my 3 keepers, hopefully he gets called up obv this season but if not i feel like hes 100% starting in MLB next year from day 1.

any objections to using up a roster spot on him? haha

1 hour ago, einstein2u said:

So MLB comparison?  

Andruw Jones comp has been floated.