burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

So has Acuna surpassed Victor Robles as the top power / speed OF  prospect?

Majority of preseason rankings had Robles as a Top 10 while Acuna was further on down the lists.  Acuna is now in AAA while Robles is still in A+.

Acuna is 19 and in AAA already. Robles is 20 and in High A. Acuna has 20 homers in 182 minor league games while Robles has 23 in 286 games. Acuna 33 SB this year too so far. I'd say his power/speed and fantasy upside is higher than Robles. If he has 20 homers in 182 games as a teenager, I wouldn't be shocked if he turned into a 30+ homer threat in the MLB with 20 SB upside. Sounds kind of like Ryan Braun from a fantasy perspective to me.

Edited by Carlos Correa
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Took the plunge and just traded Vlad Jr for Acuna. 

Time will tell. 

Sophie's Choice there.   Could be a wash when all is said and done.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tm30 said:

Sophie's Choice there.   Could be a wash when all is said and done.

I think Acuna takes the edge just because of proximity and having a track record of performing well at AA. I think Vlad will be fine of course, but crazier things have happened.

So excited for this kid. Flipped Fisher for him in my keeper league. He's a bit further away but a much greater potential impact.

What is the expectation on ETA at this point? I still see 2019 listed for some of the midseason updates (which is laughable) and others saying this September. I guess it all depends on his performance at AAA?

If he performs well at AAA I could see a Yoan Moncada approach where the Braves call him up in September and then start him next year back in AAA for seasoning and to make sure they get past the super 2.  If he performs poorly at AAA obviously he will not get the call and will start there next year almost regardless of his spring.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tywalson said:

So excited for this kid. Flipped Fisher for him in my keeper league. He's a bit further away but a much greater potential impact.

What is the expectation on ETA at this point? I still see 2019 listed for some of the midseason updates (which is laughable) and others saying this September. I guess it all depends on his performance at AAA?

I just dont think it makes sense for them to push in September unless they are in the race.  Super 2 next year seems likeliest. 

• Like 1

Acuna homers in his 2nd AAA at bat.

Edited by rdf8585
  • Like 9

Both of his HR swings (yesterday's and today's) remind me a lot of Soriano. 

Last kid I was this bullish on was Bellinger. Acuna is my #2 fantasy prospect at this point behind Moncada.

• Like 1

really thinking of dropping mazara for him and just riding it out in a 4 year keeper.  i think he breaks camp next year.

Sheesh he was second next to Dejong in my Yahoo pick up for a second there I thought he was promoted 

What are the odds that this kid gets called up in the next month or so if he continues crushing it?

7 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

If he performs well at AAA I could see a Yoan Moncada approach where the Braves call him up in September and then start him next year back in AAA for seasoning and to make sure they get past the super 2.  If he performs poorly at AAA obviously he will not get the call and will start there next year almost regardless of his spring.  

That doesn't seem to make much sense. You are basically are committing Acuna to 4 months in AAA next year if you bring him up this year and send him back down to avoid Super-2.  If they're just going to do that, there's no need to rush him up the minors so fast. Give him more time at AA. He's cooled off in AA after a fast start and it seems to make sense to see if he can re-adjust. If seems Atlanta wants Acuna up ASAP and likely for good when it happens

7 hours ago, Jericho said:

That doesn't seem to make much sense. You are basically are committing Acuna to 4 months in AAA next year if you bring him up this year and send him back down to avoid Super-2.  If they're just going to do that, there's no need to rush him up the minors so fast. Give him more time at AA. He's cooled off in AA after a fast start and it seems to make sense to see if he can re-adjust. If seems Atlanta wants Acuna up ASAP and likely for good when it happens

Not sure what your point is. He hasn't cooled of in AA because he's on fire in AAA.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

1 hour ago, Shortnphat said:

Not sure what your point is. He hasn't cooled of in AA because he's on fire in AAA.

yeah i have to agree, not so sure about the "cooling off" part..

the last two weeks in AA (since 6/30) he's got the following stats: 

• ISO - .372
  • OPS - 1.193
  • 3 SB / 0 CS
  • K rate - 21%

not seeing anything that says they've figured him out. if you add in the one game at AAA from yesterday, those numbers only get better.

Edited by osb_tensor

19 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I think Acuna takes the edge just because of proximity and having a track record of performing well at AA. I think Vlad will be fine of course, but crazier things have happened.

Proximity was a factor, also I'm a Braves fan so that makes things more fun too.  What good is fantasy if you can't be a bit of a homer?

Hurts giving up Vlad, was a huge fan watching his Dad mash back in the day -- honestly prob try to reacquire this offseason.  It's tough to carry guys that have a few years til their debut - 26 man rosters and keep 20, so you're committing a valuable roster spot to getting no production for awhile.  

Edited by bigmarc27

3 hours ago, Shortnphat said:

I think you missed the point of the post. It was more about responding to the other post who thought that Atlanta might bring him up this year, only to send him back down to avoid Super-2 next season. That's the part that I was addressing. I feel such a plan makes no sense, since  it would essentially force Acuna to spend nearly a year in AAA (July, August of this year plus April, May, June, and much of July next year) which flies directly in the face of what Atlanta has been doing with him to this point (28 games total in high A ball, 57 in double AA). Why "doom" him to 120+ games in AAA if you're going to have him speed though the other levels? 

Which brings me to address your point (and what it is with some of these threads in the prospect forum. Say anything even remotely perceived as negative and people seem to rush out of the woodwork to defend said prospect against the perceived possible thing that says they're not god?).  Let me say right off that Acuna is a hell of a prospect. But it seems obvious that Atlanta is rushing him.  In his first 3 weeks in AA he hit .415 with several homers and 12 stolen bases.  He only played about another 5 weeks total at the level, and he ended up hitting .326. and his stolen base total was "only" 19. So yeah, he cooled off. How else did his average drop almost .100 points from the beginning of June? I mean, it's not like he was bad. But it's also hard to get much of a read on a player when he hasn't even faced  some of the teams in the league. We've seen countless examples of players that were great for a bit, before the league adjusted to them (Thames this year, Story from last year).  It's not like Acuna is a perfect prospect, in his stays at AA and A+ ball, he hasn't been very patient or selective.  So he could stand to work on things.

So either Atlanta is going to push him aggressively to the Majors (which is what they seem to be doing) or they should leave him at a level long enough so that pitchers can learn him and they can make adjustments. And then Acuna can make adjustments at the plate.  If the plan was really was really to sit him in AAA for a year, it makes no sense to essentially bypass A+ ball and AA so quickly.  Let the kid learn. Which, again, was the main point of my post.  I don't think Atlanta is doing that. Atlanta likely hoping he gets up this season. And if he does, he'll probably stay for good unless he falls flat on his face.  And that's up to Acuna, who seems pretty special.

• Like 2