burty1

Ronald Acuna - OF ATL

I have been extremely high on Acuna for over a year now and expected him to move fast but I have been shocked with the speed of his ascent. He missed most of last season with injury and therefore doesn't even have a full season's worth of at bats above rookie ball and is still putting up elite #s...insane. 

When he's called up late this season or early next, I expect him to be good but would not be surprised at all if there is a fairly significant adjustment period early on bc of his lack of at bats vs higher level pitching and I already know we will hear some ridiculous "bust" tags if that happens. 

9 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

I have been extremely high on Acuna for over a year now and expected him to move fast but I have been shocked with the speed of his ascent. He missed most of last season with injury and therefore doesn't even have a full season's worth of at bats above rookie ball and is still putting up elite #s...insane. 

When he's called up late this season or early next, I expect him to be good but would not be surprised at all if there is a fairly significant adjustment period early on bc of his lack of at bats vs higher level pitching and I already know we will hear some ridiculous "bust" tags if that happens. 

Whenever I hear the bust chatter for prospects I just think about Trout. He was nothing special his first few short cups of coffee, now look at him. Yes I acknowledge there are others who were busts and stayed that way but if the struggles are at the MLB level I am inclined to give a longer leash giving what hes been doing in the minors and how quickly he has ascended and maintained productivity

• Like 1

Just now, prizl said:

Whenever I hear the bust chatter for prospects I just think about Trout. He was nothing special his first few short cups of coffee, now look at him.

I was thinking the same thing. Similar skillsets, esp. with Acuna showing more game power this season. Still a kid and likely to bulk up more too. 

Except Mike Trout was younger, struck out less, was a better base runner, and walked more.

I like Acuna a lot and think he could potentially be great, but I don't really think hes going to even be Betts good. If he is, he has a more more plate discipline to improve.

His upside is still tremendous.

He's been caught stealing in 3 of the last 4 games so that's a minor annoyance but let's look at his total statline for the season.

91 games, 360 ABs, .308/.363/.511, .874 OPS, 56 runs, 19 doubles, 6 triples, 14 homers, 54 RBI, 30 walks, 103 strikeouts, 33 SB and 17 CS at age 19 and being the youngest player in AA and AAA. 

The fact he has all these homers at age 19 is pretty outstanding and he's shown he's aggressive on the bases. This is a guy who could be a real special fantasy player and should be a regular in the Braves OF within some point in the next calendar year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

He's been caught stealing in 3 of the last 4 games so that's a minor annoyance but let's look at his total statline for the season.

91 games, 360 ABs, .308/.363/.511, .874 OPS, 56 runs, 19 doubles, 6 triples, 14 homers, 54 RBI, 30 walks, 103 strikeouts, 33 SB and 17 CS at age 19 and being the youngest player in AA and AAA. 

The fact he has all these homers at age 19 is pretty outstanding and he's shown he's aggressive on the bases. This is a guy who could be a real special fantasy player and should be a regular in the Braves OF within some point in the next calendar year.

I'm curious if the caught stealing is a product of him just not being good at knowing when to go. Maybe they're just giving him the green light and letting him learn when to make his break towards second. I think he got picked off one game too. 

With steals being so valuable in today's game, and very difficult to obtain by a quality producer in the other categories, steals are going to be big for Acuna's roto/category value. The multiple CS is not a good sign, hopefully he improves.  As an overall hitter, he's been impressive.  A near 600 slugging is incredible so far.

so he was just dropped.  I missed out on the first time--is there a real possibility he gets called up this year?  CAuse i don't wanna miss out on him again

44 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

so he was just dropped.  I missed out on the first time--is there a real possibility he gets called up this year?  CAuse i don't wanna miss out on him again

if you're playing in a redraft league I would avoid unless its ridiculously deep. Chances are you could find a better pitcher on your wire right now that will have more value ROS than Acuna.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

if you're playing in a redraft league I would avoid unless its ridiculously deep. Chances are you could find a better pitcher on your wire right now that will have more value ROS than Acuna.

dynasty league and i'm doing a soft rebuild.  

im inclined to just bite the bullet.

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

If you're in a dynasty league I can't see how he shouldn't be owned. Since Moncada is now up I can freely make the following statement that in a dynasty league if any prospect not in the majors is on a roster, it should probably be Acuna.  I'd say for all formats, but I think there's probably some sense that someone like Lewis Brinson or Lucas Sims might have more value this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

In a dynasty he's a no brainer. Don't waste time. Go pick him up.

• Like 3

I've been following these forums for a little while now, and greatly appreciate the comments and the opinions from everyone. So I had to join in on the fun. I think this kid will be the next real deal. With 20/20 upside, and possibly more, I'd  scoop him up asap!

• Like 3

On 7/18/2017 at 7:51 AM, prizl said:

Whenever I hear the bust chatter for prospects I just think about Trout. He was nothing special his first few short cups of coffee, now look at him. Yes I acknowledge there are others who were busts and stayed that way but if the struggles are at the MLB level I am inclined to give a longer leash giving what hes been doing in the minors and how quickly he has ascended and maintained productivity

It's funny you mention Trout. I was looking at BP's comp list for Acuna. I know you shouldn't put a lot of stock in this and it's mostly for fun but...

1. Trout

2. Correa

3. Profar

4. Mazara

5. Domingo Santana

6. Andrus

7. Freeman

That's an impressive list

2 minutes ago, jhonny74 said:

It's funny you mention Trout. I was looking at BP's comp list for Acuna. I know you shouldn't put a lot of stock in this and it's mostly for fun but...

1. Trout

2. Correa

3. Profar

4. Mazara

5. Domingo Santana

6. Andrus

7. Freeman

That's an impressive list

I truly wonder how this gets decided. Seems so random. Could be Mike Trout! Could be Jurickson Profar! 

I assume this was preseason too?

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

I truly wonder how this gets decides. Seems so random. Could be Mike Trout! Could be Jurickson Profar! 

I assume this was preseason too?

I think so. I didn't look at this until after the season started, but it hasn't changed in the last couple of months

And remember, Profar was a very highly regarded prospect whose career got derailed by injuries.  He was the #1 prospect for a while IIRC

Edited by jhonny74

Would be very interesting to see what the Braves do if they're able to deal Kemp and/or Markakis. The "Andruw Jones" murmurs are starting to get louder as Acuna keeps wrecking, but I'm not sure if the Braves rush him before September, especially after arguably rushing Swanson to the bigs and his struggles this season.

It's really unfortunate that they don't call up these prospects sooner. Even if they struggle, at least it gives them a chance to play the best competition. Worst case scenario, they realize what they need to work on. I get they don't want to destroy their confidence, and it's all about that extra year of control. Look at Brinson. Just raking in the minors. Maybe those 39 at bats really opened his eyes, and helped him realize what else to work on??

Sooner?  He's 19 and they have promoted him TWICE this year. He's being about as fast tracked as a prospect can get. The Braves have been challenging him aggressively.

AAA presents the current challenge of facing pitchers who may lack MLB caliber stuff..but a lot them pitch LIKE MLBers in terms of sequencing and such. Something that AA and lower where you are mostly just facing guys with stuff but no polish. He only had 243 PAs in  AA before this promotion. Probably the same with catchers being better defensively. Hence why he's been caught stealing often too and will need to learn more nuances of base stealing instead of just getting away with being fast..

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

I run a 16 team Dynasty League and if I saw that someone just outright dropped Acuna I'd seriously delete that owner and find a replacement and then add Acuna back to that team.

nobody has done anything that stupid in the history of my league (since 2007)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I run a 16 team Dynasty League and if I saw that someone just outright dropped Acuna I'd seriously delete that owner and find a replacement and then add Acuna back to that team.

nobody has done anything that stupid in the history of my league (since 2007)

I have a 12 team dynasty and I drafted him this pre-season.  Whenever I hear that hes dropped or he is available I really wonder the league settings or what would cause him to be unowned.

I just feel he should have been owned latest mid-May.  I just hope his trajectory continues upward. I haven't been this excited for a prospect I've owned with a meteoric rise since......Julio Urias....................i just shed a tear for Julio

The reason he wasn't owned in my league was because he was relatively unknown before the season started.

The reason he remained unowned is because we have short benches and most teams cannot afford to let an A-baller sit on their bench for an entire year, especially with pitching being a premium this year.