fawkes_mulder

Fernando Romero - SP MIN

Twins 17th ranked prospect. Heard from a scout that he has recently touched 100 on the radar gun in his return from Tommy John Surgery.

Here's his (outdated) blurb from MiLB.com: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=min

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

It's possible Romero would be talked about now as one of the better pitching prospects of the game if he hadn't gotten hurt. But the talented right-hander needed Tommy John surgery after just three starts in 2014, missing the rest of that and the 2015 season.

Romero has a big arm when he's healthy, sitting in the 93-95 mph and touching the upper-90s. Romero's breaking ball has morphed a bit over time. It was more of a power curve two years ago before the injury, but it's turned into more of a slider and looked like it could be a plus one eventually based on how he was throwing it at instructs last fall. He has good feel for his changeup, giving him the chance to have three above-average pitches once he gets back to full strength.

Romero is still learning how to pitch and there is certain to be some rust to shake off after nearly two years away from competitive pitching. If he can get back to where he was before the surgery, he has the chance to have among the best stuff in the Twins system.

5 hitless frames in his debut.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160520&content_id=179296554&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Small sample season stats:

10 IP, 0.90 ERA, 0.40 WHIP, 8.10 K/9, 1.80 BB/9

Still completely off the radar. Deep enough league, he's worth a stash as a high ceiling arm. Probably still at least a couple years away as they won't rush his return.

Regardless, I'm sure he will eventually get a little bit of attention from places like Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.

To date, the only thing BP has said about him came from a weekly wrap:

Christopher Crawford: Fernando Romero, RHP, Minnesota Twins (Low-A Cedar Rapids): 5 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K. Well, that’s a pretty impressive 2016 debut, in my humble opinion.

• Like 3

Missed today's start:

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/blogs/diamonds-and-ice-by-jeff-johnson/aj-murray-with-3-hits-fernando-romero-with-3rd-win-as-cr-kernels-blast-beloit-20160601

Starting pitcher Fernando Romero (3-0) won for the third time in as many starts since coming back from 2014 Tommy John elbow surgery. He allowed four hits and a pair of runs in six innings, striking out five.

Don't know if anyone saw but he was dominant yesterday... He's not owned in my 800+ MiLB prospect dynasty league, so I'm sure he's available in 99.9% of dynasty leagues.. 

He went 7IP, 4H, 0ER, 1BB, 7K on only 69 pitches.. Very impressive.. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Don't know if anyone saw but he was dominant yesterday... He's not owned in my 800+ MiLB prospect dynasty league, so I'm sure he's available in 99.9% of dynasty leagues.. 

Kid is going to get some serious hype, SOON.

Echoing your sentiment, still available in a lot of leagues, get in before others do, because he's gonna be on the BA hotsheet/BP chats/etc. Will be buzzing.

• Like 1

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=622864#/career/R/pitching/2016/ALL

Fernando Romero is a 21 year old,  6'1, 215lb pitcher out of the Twins organization.. 

This is his first season back from TJ and he has absolutely dominated LoA and HiA.. 

Combined: 67IP, 61K's, .207 average against, 2.15ERA and a .91WHIP.. (2.3 FIP) which further proves what he's doing is pretty legit.. 

Has a double-plus fastball that sits at 95mph and runs up to 98mph.. Potential for a plus slider and an average change.. BP put a 60+ grade on him after his 3rd start back from TJ.. 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_pit.php?reportid=389

Fernando Romero is a 21 y.o. right handed starter from the D.R. with a large frame and limited physical projection remaining. The fastball makes you sit up and take notice sitting 93-97 and touching 98 with above-average arm-side run that hitters struggle to barrel and saws off bats. His slider is powerful with short, late bite in the zone sitting 86-90. The change up is a work in progress at this point with only a couple in game offerings but flashes proper arm speed and tumble. The command wavers at this point but this was his 3rd start back from Tommy John surgery and the ability to locate the fastball to his glove side points to average command in the future. Romero will be a 3rd starter at the big league level with a ++ fastball and above-average slider.

This is one to keep an eye on for dynasty leagues.. 

• Like 1

I love this kid too. I was, excited for this season for Fernando Romero and Lewis Thorpe both to be back from TJ. I did not expect Romero to consistently dominate like he has. Really excited to see how he does next season in AA and AAA

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 3:07 AM, JenksDodger said:

800+ wow.

That's a lot of prospects. In mine we have 360. 

I took him a month ago. 

Isn't he projected as a reliever though?

12 hours ago, Italian_guy said:

800+ wow.

That's a lot of prospects. In mine we have 360. 

I took him a month ago. 

Isn't he projected as a reliever though?

He might be projected as a RP, but I would hold for now.. 

Fulmer is one that was projected as a RP and we've seen what he's done this year.. Definitely not saying this kid is Fulmer, but you get the idea. 

I really like the control this kid has.. especially at 21 years old..  

Fantastic last night..

7IP, 6H, 0ER, 0BB, 11K 

I love the control that this kid has.. very rare for pitchers to have good stuff AND good control this early in their career. I fully expect his name to start popping up on top 100 lists next year. 

• Like 2

K-BB% is ~20% across both A (19.4%) and A+ (20.4%). Love love love to see high Ks and low BBs, not just because it is a sign of a pitcher in control, but because my league has k/bb as a 6th cat.

I know it's minor leagues, but for reference, 20% K-BB would be 8th in the MLB, right behind Madison Bumgarner.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=c,3,8,13,4,5,24,6,42,-1,45,62,122,-1,113,112,-1,43,44,36,37,38,120,121,217,-1,40,51,-1,49,48,47,50,-1,221,222,223,-1,59&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=23,d

From the BA chat on going right now.. 

• Tom (Phoenix, AZ): The scouting report on Fernando Romero looks a lot like Michael Fulmer a year ago. Big time fastball, power slider, developing change. The k/bb rate is outstanding. Are we looking at a top 50-75 prospect?

Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: He will be in the discussion.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1471620851

•  

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

From the BA chat on going right now.. 

Yeah. He made BA's hot sheet for this week:

5. Fernando Romero, rhp, Twins

image: http://www.baseballamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/3ds_twins81.jpg

3ds_twins81
Team: high Class A Fort Myers (Florida State)
Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 13.1 IP, 9 H, 0 R, 19 SO, 2 BB

The Scoop: The 21-year-old Dominican returned to the mound on May 20 after missing most of the past two seasons while recovering from Tommy John surgery. Romero breezed through five starts at low Class A Cedar Rapids and has maintained strong ratios — 9.1 strikeouts and 1.6 walks per nine innings — through his first 10 starts at Fort Myers. A three-pitch righty with a fastball that reaches the mid-90s, he fanned a season-high 11 batters in his start last Friday against Charlotte. (ME)

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/rodgers-on-fire-whiff-of-success-for-kopech-prospect-hot-sheet/#yXxJ5fUAryOsRbb4.99

---

I'm deciding whether to add him but we are only allowed so many minor leaguers and I currently have Yohander, Triston McK, Sean R-F, Keller and Allard. Hard to project someone so far away who's had an injury. 

^^I actually like him more than every single one of those pitchers...good velo, two good secondaries, good command/control. Prob axe Allard cause he's even farther away. All of these guys have upside.

FWIW, TJS is almost a right of passage at this point. I don't hold it against a pitcher. Moving on from it is a good thing. It is "out of the way" hopefully...

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fawkes_mulder said:

^^I actually like him more than every single one of those pitchers...good velo, two good secondaries, good command/control. Prob axe Allard cause he's even farther away. All of these guys have upside.

FWIW, TJS is almost a right of passage at this point. I don't hold it against a pitcher. Moving on from it is a good thing. It is "out of the way" hopefully...

No I do get that about TJS these days. I'm just trying to temper enthusiasm I suppose for someone who has recently returned from surgery. 

Are you really sold on Yohander? I don't see him as a reliable starter yet. I remember reading something about his frame or delivery holding him back from being a reliable starter. 

1 hour ago, 12to6 said:

No I do get that about TJS these days. I'm just trying to temper enthusiasm I suppose for someone who has recently returned from surgery. 

Are you really sold on Yohander? I don't see him as a reliable starter yet. I remember reading something about his frame or delivery holding him back from being a reliable starter. 

I saw video on him and wasn't nearly as impressed as the guys from baseball prospectus and Longenhagen from FG. I thought his changeup, which was supposed to be elite, didn't have a lot of break to it. Arm speed good. Just not confident he'll have as strong a K rate in the MLB as his stats would suggest.

However, he's got a ton of market value because of his recent t50 ranking, so I don't recommend dropping him. Sell him to someone who slavishly follows the lists, there's always a few of them in most dynasty leagues.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I saw video on him and wasn't nearly as impressed as the guys from baseball prospectus and Longenhagen from FG. I thought his changeup, which was supposed to be elite, didn't have a lot of break to it. Arm speed good. Just not confident he'll have as strong a K rate in the MLB as his stats would suggest.

However, he's got a ton of market value because of his recent t50 ranking, so I don't recommend dropping him. Sell him to someone who slavishly follows the lists, there's always a few of them in most dynasty leagues.

I have a slight disagreement. The straight change is good for getting hitters out in the zone as long as long as the arm speed is the same as the FB and there is enough speed differential. The power change is good too with good lateral movement, but you are relying on the batter to chase outside the zone. Circle change, split change, straight, power... they all have their place. As long as the results are there that is all that matters IMO. Thanks for the feedback though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aeron said:

I have a slight disagreement. The straight change is good for getting hitters out in the zone as long as long as the arm speed is the same as the FB and there is enough speed differential. The power change is good too with good lateral movement, but you are relying on the batter to chase outside the zone. Circle change, split change, straight, power... they all have their place. As long as the results are there that is all that matters IMO. Thanks for the feedback though.  

Didn't mean to say his change would be ineffective. I just don't think he's a 9+ k/9 guy. But we've already seen the K rate dropping as he progresses to better competition. Still think #3 or 4 is a decent projection. Just think some people may seem him as more than that.

38 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Didn't mean to say his change would be ineffective. I just don't think he's a 9+ k/9 guy. But we've already seen the K rate dropping as he progresses to better competition. Still think #3 or 4 is a decent projection. Just think some people may seem him as more than that.

I don't know much about this guy, it is nice to hear about prospects that are off the radar. Just looking at his stats though it appears his K rate is fairly consistent throughout. We'll find out what he's got when he moves up to AA. 

7 hours ago, aeron said:

I don't know much about this guy, it is nice to hear about prospects that are off the radar. Just looking at his stats though it appears his K rate is fairly consistent throughout. We'll find out what he's got when he moves up to AA. 

I think fawkes is talking about Yohander Mendez in that post, not Romero. 

• Like 1

Project-able lefties do tend to get overrated in real life baseball prospects in comparison to fantasy. Especially one with a plus change up. Mendez is a ready set kit scouts want: Tall, project able, lefty, decent downward plane on FB, a secondary weapon against opposite handed batter. Very important for Lefty who has to face RHH all the time. 

Romero is far riskier Pitching prospect in a RL sense. Since he's still mostly the transitional FB/SL "developing change" means he doesn't have it, and would have trouble as a starter w/o it..Not to mention he needs to make the AA step to really sell people that its not just him overwhelming low minors hitters with Velocity and stuff over actual command/control. (This is were low minors BB rates can be deceiving, ala Robert Stephenson's of the world). He's also 5 inches shorter than Mendez...and size does matter for pitchers due to FB plane and stamia...Also means Mendez can fill out his frame and gain FB velo to catch up to Romero's elite FB velo

In simpler terms:  

Scouting in RL for LHP: Change>Slider 

Scouting in Fantasy for a RHP: Slider>Change...  Since K's are what are chasing and simply hoping they get that 3rd pitch down as they progress

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Trade deadline has passed so I'm gonna see if there's a shot of him getting called up soon. Otherwise I'll probably drop him. I wasn't that impressed either.

48 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Project-able lefties do tend to get overrated in real life baseball prospects in comparison to fantasy. Especially one with a plus change up. Mendez is a ready set kit scouts want: Tall, project able, lefty, decent downward plane on FB, a secondary weapon against opposite handed batter. Very important for Lefty who has to face RHH all the time. 

Romero is far riskier Pitching prospect in a RL sense. Since he's still mostly the transitional FB/SL "developing change" means he doesn't have it, and would have trouble as a starter w/o it..Not to mention he needs to make the AA step to really sell people that its not just him overwhelming low minors hitters with Velocity and stuff over actual command/control. (This is were low minors BB rates can be deceiving, ala Robert Stephenson's of the world). He's also 5 inches shorter than Mendez...and size does matter for pitchers due to FB plane and stamia...Also means Mendez can fill out his frame and gain FB velo to catch up to Romero's elite FB velo

In simpler terms:  

Scouting in RL for LHP: Change>Slider 

Scouting in Fantasy for a RHP: Slider>Change...  Since K's are what are chasing and simply hoping they get that 3rd pitch down as they progress

Thanks for that explanation. Interesting.