fawkes_mulder

Fernando Romero - SP MIN

No posts on Romero since January.  He had a minor blip to start the season but has been pretty lights out since.

Tonight 5 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 1ER, 9 ks

I think he's very close to being a top 10 SP in the minors right now but gets overlooked a lot. He should be promoted soon, but at this point might not be until start of next season. Decent shot to reach the majors next year.

h/t @fawkes_mulder for bringing him to my attention last year. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Picard56 said:

What are his 2018 prospects?

I expect him to be up in the second half. The FA additions dim his chances of pitching in the rotation in 2018. Just needs a couple injuries to provide an opportunity this year.

I’ve been watching his spring training games and he looks really good. He just needs a spot to open up. I’m keeping him on my must watch list. If he gets called up later this season, he’s a good gamble for anyone needing SP help.

• Like 1

he might be behind gonsalves on the depth chart tho

i own both in dynasty

cant wait to see what he can do with the reins off and on a heavy workload---stuff is nasty---Romero and Berrios have the chance to be a hell of a one two strikeout punch 6 foot pitchers for the twins

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam
  • Like 1

I found it interesting that he's in aaa and gonsalves is in AA. Makes me think he's almost surely due for a call up before him.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I found it interesting that he's in aaa and gonsalves is in AA. Makes me think he's almost surely due for a call up before him.

Yeah it is interesting. Gonsalves did struggle to end the year in AAA if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure he has much left to prove down in AA. Maybe a matter of rotation slots available?

As for Romero he definitely has the upside over Gonsalves. The fact he is still starting is a plus, but I do worry he ends up as a reliever for them unless a few injuries happen in that rotation. That said he could be a special type of reliever if they did use him that way.

• Like 1

Plus FB can reach upper 90s, but the manager has said right now theyre looking for control of 3 pitches. Not using the change up much but thats definately something to watch as he progresses through AAA.

As noted above, maybe he ends up a dominant RP but right now the team is focused on developing a SP by getting him deeper into games and polishing his other pitches. Very excited to watch this guy and my expectation is that he debuts this year for the Twins as a starter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WTP333 said:

What’s his outlook? 

Worth an add in 10 teamers?

I took the plunge. MLB.com has him ranked as the 66th overall prospect and the Twins' #2 prospect.

Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Romero missed nearly all of the 2014 and 2015 seasons following Tommy John surgery and the ensuing rehab. He made it through his return season in 2016 healthy and was added to the 40-man roster, then turned in a career-high 125 innings in Double-A in 2017, though he ran out of gas in August and ended the year on the disabled list with a shoulder impingement.

Romero's outstanding stuff played very well in the Southern League and should allow him to continue to befuddle hitters at the highest levels. He can sit in the mid-90s with ease and reach back for 98-99 mph at times. His slider continued to sharpen the further removed from surgery he is and it will flash plus when his mechanics are good. His changeup should be an average pitch and the more he can throw it effectively, the better weapon it will be against left-handed hitters. While he's not a command artist, he'll throw enough strikes to be a successful starter.

The key for Romero now is to continue to build strength and show durability throughout a season. Romero was understandably treated with kid gloves in 2016. Those gloves came off a bit in 2017, and with his injury behind him, Romero has the chance to reach his potential as a frontline starter. If he can do that and his stuff continues to improve, he could eventually pitch near the top of a rotation.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018

Sent back down. I thought he did relatively well myself for a rook until that KC game...seemed he started getting hit harder from then on, almost like 'the book' got out about him & hitters were catching up to him or he was tipping pitches somehow or something.

Hope he figures some things out or works on his secondary pitches & gets back - he's not a bad producer when matchups are good. 

• Like 1