davidgoretiz

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

22 posts in this topic

Big fan of the second overall pick by the Reds. Viewed by many as the best college bat in the draft. 

Junior out of Tennessee looks like a fantasy prospect for sure. Big, strong frame. Heard some Josh Donaldson comps.

Power is still developing. He hit only 8 homers in his last college season, but he doubled 25 times and stole 25 bases while hitting .352/.456/.595.

Reds have to be ecstatic about replacing Todd Frazier with this guy. 

Personally I'm curious to see how these college players translate to proball.  No really big names.  Honestly this draft class wasn't nearly as intriguing as years past (last year's wasn't all that great either).  

Kyle Lewis statistically was the best hitter at the D1 level.  Senzel did out hit Lewis in The Cape Cod League though in 2015.

Definitely agree. I'm of the opinion that there was a large group of prospects that all fell into the same tier, there were some big surprises during the actual top 10 of the draft. 

I do like Senzel, I'm very interested to see how he develops.  

Kyle Lewis looks like a good prospect too, I'm surprised he fell as far as he did. 

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, davidgoretiz said:

Definitely agree. I'm of the opinion that there was a large group of prospects that all fell into the same tier, there were some big surprises during the actual top 10 of the draft. 

I do like Senzel, I'm very interested to see how he develops.  

Kyle Lewis looks like a good prospect too, I'm surprised he fell as far as he did. 

Senzel did win The Cape Cod League MVP also.  So that helped his draft stock a lot, probably more so than his college season.  As The Cape Cod League is wood and against better competition 

Man, this kid looks good so far in LoA ball.. Not much of an aggressive assignment, especially coming from the SEC, but he's showing everything I like to see in a player..

Through 17 games: .328/.429/.547, 2HR, 9XBH, 10BB/13K, 9SB.. With Kyle Lewis being out now, I think he's the top bat out of the '16 draft class.. 

He's still been tearing the cover off the ball! 

.333/.443/.577, 3HR, 15RBI, 15BB/17K in 22 games.. will be interesting to see if they give him a shot in A+ before the season is over. 

Went 2/3 with a HR last night. 

Edited by JenksDodger

Went 3/4 last night with a bomb and 2 SB..

Already 2/3 tonight with a bomb and is still hitting .327.. 

12SB on the year (15 if you count the games in ROK ball), which is a surprise... and a great BB/K ratio of 22/23.. Senzel is a stud! 

Edited by JenksDodger

As a Reds fan, I'm pretty excited about what Senzel is doing so far. It's very early, but he looks so much more advanced than the other hitters from the draft.

I know Senzel is only in Low A now but seeing that he was a College Senior and is already 21 years old.

Would the expectation be that the Reds will fast track him thru the minors with a possible cup of coffee in September of 2017?

1 minute ago, jb_power said:

I know Senzel is only in Low A now but seeing that he was a College Senior and is already 21 years old.

Would the expectation be that the Reds will fast track him thru the minors with a possible cup of coffee in September of 2017?

Not that it really matters, but pretty sure he was a JR. 

I don't think that is out of the question at all, honestly..  Conforto/Schwarber were advanced college bats and made their debuts sooner than expected.. He's my favorite hitting prospect in that entire draft class and has started out really well. I think he moves through the Reds system fairly quick. 

6 minutes ago, jb_power said:

It's definitely possible.  

I think it's guaranteed that he'll finish the year in Daytona (High A).  If he continues his advanced hitting next year, he might take the same path that Benintendi took this year.  Although I can't remember the last time the Reds brought anyone up directly from AA.

Make that 3 games in a row with a bombski! I know it's only LoA, but it's hard to be excited about his potential. 

Great hit tool, with sneaky power ceiling. Nobody is gonna project him for more than 20-25 bombs peak, but nobody would touch that power ceiling for Bregman last year either. This kid really is exciting.

On 8/6/2016 at 10:15 PM, jb_power said:

Could be.  Sox rushed Beintendi all the way up through their system is less than a year though he wasn't a college junior.  But he made it before September too.  Granted there was a need for him but he had nothing left to prove at AA so they skipped AAA with him like more teams are doing these days.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

4 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Are there any rumors that he'll be playing 3B for the Reds in early 2017?

IMO- Late season at best, as in September after the rosters expand (at the earliest).. And even then I don't think it'll happen.. He's going to start at HiA and the Reds have no reason to push him. 

Yea as Jenks said, even if he tears up his assignments (which I bet he will) there is ZERO reason a rebuilding Reds will promote him to the big leagues. Unlike Breg and Beintendi there is no incentive to bring him up--even in Sept imo. Best case is likely June (post super 2) of 2018. Still there are not many other positional prospects I'd rather own in keep/dyna than Senzel.

What are we to make of his slowish start?  Being an advanced college bat, I expected him to be dominating high A and looking at an early AA promotion.  So far that hasnt happened, with a .262/.328/.344 slash line and 0 homers.  He's only striking out at a 14.9% rate and has a 84% contact rate, so it isn't like h'es being over matched.  I know its a small sample size, but I can't help but be a little disappointed by him so far.  I was hoping he could be this years Benintendi, but maybe I was expecting too much. 

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Dahk said:

What are we to make of his slowish start?  Being an advanced college bat, I expected him to be dominating high A and looking at an early AA promotion.  So far that hasnt happened, with a .262/.328/.344 slash line and 0 homers.  He's only striking out at a 14.9% rate and has a 84% contact rate, so it isn't like h'es being over matched.  I know its a small sample size, but I can't help but be a little disappointed by him so far.  I was hoping he could be this years Benintendi, but maybe I was expecting too much. 

Thoughts?

^^ See part in bold.

3 people like this