davidgoretiz

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

I really like Nick Senzel. The hit tool is undeniable and I've seen a few people out there worried about the power. He spent most of the year in the very pitcher friendly Florida State League and has already shown good signs of being able to hit AA pitching.

I'm fully in on the "juiced ball" conspiracy. Seems like everyone in the minors if coming up and blowing away their power numbers from the minors. Judge and Bellinger had pretty good power numbers in the Minors but they come up to the majors are start smashing their previous power numbers. 

Not saying Senzel has the raw power of those two guys but the juiced ball combined with going to one of the best HR parks in MLB has me optimistic about the power. 

• Like 1

Quiet in here. 

Senzel has been on fire, hitting .436 over his last 10 games with 4 HRs over his last 4. BA up to .352 in AA now. 

Saw speculation he could get a September call up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, machine3 said:

Quiet in here. 

Senzel has been on fire, hitting .436 over his last 10 games with 4 HRs over his last 4. BA up to .352 in AA now. 

Saw speculation he could get a September call up. 

Absolutely tearing it up. Ranked as the #11 prospect by MLB midseason update.

The power showing up in AA is the most important change as of late. I've seen people questioning his fantasy upside because of no huge power or speed tool. He's a .290 20hr big league hitter right now in my opinion. 

Senzel hasn't played since August 24th and is being shut down for the rest of the year due to vertigo symptoms. Get well soon, Nick.

For us fantasy owners, I'm a bit nervous about recurrences. The type of vertigo he has apparently been experiencing (BPPV) has a recurrence rates of 30% within one year and 50% within five years and it sounds like symptoms can last for a couple weeks. On the other hand, a couple sources that I've seen have said it's treatable and that the shut down is more precautionary.

• Like 1

Reds prospect Nick Senzel received an invitation to participate in the Reds' major league camp at spring training.

It's very unlikely Senzel would make the Opening Day roster for the Reds, but this shows how high Cincinnati is on the 2016 second-overall pick. He's coming off a year in which he posted a .905 cumulative OPS and reached the Double-A level, and his advanced approach and baseball acumen should help him continue to move quickly. With a strong showing down in Arizona and a hot start at Triple-A, Senzel could be a big leaguer before the end of May.

This is promising. Will be nice to get a glimpse of him in Spring Training. I'd expect him to be more of a September call up guy though because the Reds are going no where this year.

• Like 1

I see this write up on Senzel..

https://blogredmachine.com/2018/02/03/cincinnati-reds-decision-nick-senzel/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Cincinnati Reds decided that this spring training, Nick Senzel will be working on position flexibility.  Right now Senzel is blocked from the big leagues by current third baseman Eugenio Suarez.  After spring training that reason to keep Senzel in the minors will be gone.

The Reds plan on having Senzel play second base, shortstop and the corner outfield positions.  He will do this while attending his first ever big league camp.  That will be a pressure test for the Reds’ top prospect to be sure.

With him so close to the majors, it is easy to foresee Senzel passing Dilson Herrera as the next prospect to earn an everyday job in Cincinnati.  Herrera will be in Cincinnati because he is out of options or else on the DL.  Scooter Gennett and Suarez block Herrera for an everyday spot, just like Senzel.

It is also easy to imagine Senzel having a better offensive year across the board than Suarez once Senzel plays full-time.  Senzel hasn’t shown power yet, but he has already demonstrated that he can get on base at the minor league level.  That and a higher batting average at Great American Ballpark would likely generate more home runs than what Suarez has produced.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

A Reds blog should know that hitting is not the only reason why Suarez is going to be the Opening Day 3B. It's hitting, getting on base and playing great defense. 

"If Senzel doesn't make the team, it's still undecided where he'll play in the minors."

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/413836002?__twitter_impression=true

(I'm not sure why a lame duck like Price feels  he'll determine where a cornerstone like Senzel plays, but whatever. He'll play where GM Dick Williams puts him lol.)

Edited by bbythepier

11 minutes ago, norton17 said:

What are chances Senzel makes the Reds out of spring training?

If they understood asset management? Zero, but this is the Reds, so who knows.

15 hours ago, norton17 said:

What are chances Senzel makes the Reds out of spring training?

I'd say very little chance. He still hasn't seen AAA yet and they don't want to start his clock. I could see him up in May or June at the earliest. 

7 hours ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

I'd say very little chance. He still hasn't seen AAA yet and they don't want to start his clock. I could see him up in May or June at the earliest. 

Exactly... The Reds aren't projected to do a whole lot this year no need to lose the extra year for a rebuilding organization.

His bat probably plays better at MI, i don't think Peraza is anything special and Gennett is a journeyman, had a really good year last year but can he replicate it

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 12:03 PM, azeri98 said:

His bat probably plays better at MI, i don't think Peraza is anything special and Gennett is a journeyman, had a really good year last year but can he replicate it

I agree.  SS and 2B (or maybe OF but Reds are already crowded there) are the most likely positions Senzel plays this year if he demonstrates decent defense. 

Suarez is a natural SS though so if Senzel doesn't take to the position, I could see the Reds accomodating Senzel first before Suarez (even though Suarez signed  big extension).  Senzel is a true 5 tool guy and athletic so he probably would be fine at SS or 2B though.

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-inbox-will-eugenio-suarez-shift-to-ss/c-264713852 

On 3/13/2018 at 9:34 PM, Dirtywater97 said:

After super 2

Does this seem likely for this year?

35 minutes ago, floppy said:

Does this seem likely for this year?

I think Senzel playing at 2B to begin the year speaks volumes in terms of his time frame being elevated. The organization seems to be immediately addressing the "blocked by Suarez" issue. If the organization only anticipated Senzel getting a September cup of coffee, I'd imagine they wouldn't be in a hurry to prep him at other positions.

• Like 4