davidgoretiz

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

Assuming this kid comes up July 1ish, what are people thinking season-long? Looking at a few of you, @brockpapersizer @taobball @Fuzzy_Slippers for some thoughts.

How about long-term for dynasty owners? He was dropped in my league and I snagged him right away. Is he going to be a 15HR/high BA guy?  Or are people pegging him for more?

I did read through the thread, but still curious about him.

There's been very little info on Senzel lately, which isn't good. The update from almost two weeks stated that they thought he'd "return to the lineup at Triple-A Louisville in about a week". And yet here we are, nearly 2 weeks later, and he doesn't seem all that close to doing that. The most recent update claimed that he was "making progress at the Reds' extended spring training facility" and that the "next step for Senzel will be to play in extended spring training games". And then after that, who knows? Eventually he'll get back to AAA games. But when?

The Reds were keeping him down surely in an effort to avoid Super 2 status. So he probably wasn't going to be up until early June anyway. But now? He's going to need to get some at bats and stay healthy for at least some time first. If all that goes well, he projects to be an impact bat. He doesn't do anything spectacular, but he's really good at everything - batting, some power, some speed, etc... And if he gets 2B eligibility (I suspect Cincy would push Gennett back to the OF), that's not a bad fantasy recipe. But he needs to stay on the field first.

Kind of a quiet thread with arguably the biggest 2018 impact bat left in the minors (though I fully expect Guerrero to be up sooner rather than later and would rank him #1). He is back with Louisville as mentioned above. He's not ripping it up, but is doing alright and is currently slashing .276/.361/.441. So he's show a good batting eye overall. Also 7 steals to date. Likely only 3B eligible for now in most leagues, but he's been picking up starts at 2B and SS in the minors. So a good batting eye, potential multi-position eligibility, and a good home park to hit in. We're really at the point were Super 2 status should be safe and the Reds are going nowhere. So we might see some action soon.

I think he comes up once they trade Gennett unless they have seen enough or Peraza to determine he's nothing special and can play SS, he won't be replacing Suarez at 3b

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I think he comes up once they trade Gennett unless they have seen enough or Peraza to determine he's nothing special and can play SS, he won't be replacing Suarez at 3b

You're assuming they trade Gennett. Which is quite possible, but also may not happen til late July or even at all. While the logical move here seems to be to move Suarez to SS and play Senzel at 3B, it seems the Reds don't agree. But it does open up a super utility role for Senzel, somewhat like what Scott Kingery has been doing. Gennett's also a poor defensive 2B, so you could see him play a bunch there while Gennett shifts back to the OF. Or just play Senzel at SS. Peraza can also get at bats in CF (since Hamilton can't hit)

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

You're assuming they trade Gennett. Which is quite possible, but also may not happen til late July or even at all. While the logical move here seems to be to move Suarez to SS and play Senzel at 3B, it seems the Reds don't agree. But it does open up a super utility role for Senzel, somewhat like what Scott Kingery has been doing. Gennett's also a poor defensive 2B, so you could see him play a bunch there while Gennett shifts back to the OF. Or just play Senzel at SS. Peraza can also get at bats in CF (since Hamilton can't hit)

Their OF is crowded with Duvall, Schebler, Winker and Hamilton, maybe they move one of those guys instead of Gennett or Peraza to open up a spot for Senzel but i don't think they are in a hurry to promote him, they suck and aren't going anywhere

Senzel has 10 hits in his last 14 ABs. Let's hope the mighty Reds can find room for him in that Yankee-esque lineup they trot out every night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Senzel has 10 hits in his last 14 ABs. Let's hope the mighty Reds can find room for him in that Yankee-esque lineup they trot out every night. 

Make that 13 for his last 19. 3-5 with a double and 2RBIs last night. Kid is on fire. 

On 6/13/2018 at 10:19 AM, wideopen21 said:

I know, between Votto and Votto and I'm sure there's someone else besides Votto that's actually good on that team there must be a spot.

All kidding aside, that "article" from the Cincinnati Enquirer was pretty much worthless. It's 100% false and either written by an idiot (unlikely, but possible) or just some puff piece in defense of the Reds (far more likely). I suspect Senzel will be up soon, making all of this fairly moot.

• Like 1

But there is a pretty clear statement in the article that basically means Gennett will have to be traded (they really have no choice because they have many holes to fill to compete in 2020 or later).

“He’s not coming up until he has a place to play every day,” Reds General Manager Nick Krall said. 

35 minutes ago, STLSU said:

But there is a pretty clear statement in the article that basically means Gennett will have to be traded (they really have no choice because they have many holes to fill to compete in 2020 or later).

“He’s not coming up until he has a place to play every day,” Reds General Manager Nick Krall said. 

I don't see why we'd assume Scooter would be the odd-man out here.

If anyone loses playing time, it's going to be Peraza, who blows. And since he sucks so much, it wouldn't be hard for the Reds to actually find every day playing time for him.

Edited by Philoumenos

22 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

If anyone loses playing time, it's going to be Peraza, who blows. And since he sucks so much, it wouldn't be hard for the Reds to actually find every day playing time for him.

Isn’t Peraza at SS though? Can Senzel or Scooter play short? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

"My focus is on shortstop," Senzel said "I'll take some reps at other spots, but I think third base is a little bit to the side right now."

From his mouth to g-ds ears...

3 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Senzel might be able to play it, but he'd probably need some in-game reps before he could get the call. Fangraphs toyed with the idea in a post-DeJong world back before the season.

I was actually thinking that Senzel could get called up to 3B, which would push Suarez back to SS. He's a pretty s--- SS, but if they want to start working on Senzel's development, maybe they do it anyways, defense be damned so that Senzel can get some reps around the INF at 3B, 2B and SS.

4 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

Yes but they aren't playing Senzel at SS at all.

3 hours ago, tekashi26ix said:

"My focus is on shortstop," Senzel said "I'll take some reps at other spots, but I think third base is a little bit to the side right now."

From his mouth to g-ds ears...

Spring training

Point being if they wanted him to play short at the MLB level then he would be getting at least SOME reps there at AAA.  He likely CAN play short passably but that is not the issue.

4 hours ago, STLSU said:

Point being if they wanted him to play short at the MLB level then he would be getting at least SOME reps there at AAA.  He likely CAN play short passably but that is not the issue.

Building for the future, which the Reds definitely are, you shouldn’t try to force a player at SS, CF, or catcher. Trade Scooter, pencil in Senzel at 2B, Suárez at 3B, and find your SS. They seem to have a decent CF in Trammell down the road, so there’s hope for unfortunate Reds fans. More so than very unfortunate Ranger fans. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Building for the future, which the Reds definitely are, you shouldn’t try to force a player at SS, CF, or catcher. Trade Scooter, pencil in Senzel at 2B, Suárez at 3B, and find your SS. They seem to have a decent CF in Trammell down the road, so there’s hope for unfortunate Reds fans. More so than very unfortunate Ranger fans. 

Yup.  Now Suarez is a natural SS and could go back if Senzel looks really good and licking his chops at 3rd.

5 hours ago, STLSU said:

Yes but they aren't playing Senzel at SS at all.

I wasn't suggesting Peraza should be losing out to Senzel directly. You could easily stick Suarez back at SS and then let Senzel get occasional reps there as well.

Point is, there is an INF spot open if they want him to get time. He doesn't have to take the spot directly though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Yup.  Now Suarez is a natural SS and could go back if Senzel looks really good and licking his chops at 3rd.

Suarez is not a natural SS.  He's passable at best.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/268816032-reds-eugenio-suarez-dominant-at-third-base.amp.html

Article above stating how much Suárez has progressed at third, so much that he’s gone from possibly being a 1B/OF(per a previous article) that he’s locked down 3B. I’d guess a move to anywhere other than 1B/OF is unlikely, even with Senzel’s apparent good defense. And moving a plus 3B glove somewhere else seems unlikely as well. 

• Like 1