aeron

Triston McKenzie - SP CLE

Listed at a lanky 6' 5", 165 lbs the 42nd overall pick of the 2015 has shown flashes of brilliance in his young career.  McKenzie began the year in extended spring training, and now he has a few nice outings under his belt at short A... picking up where he left off after dominating the Arizona League last year. In the few clips I've watched you can see that the kid has a smooth seemingly effortless delivery while featuring good command of a low 90s 4-seamer, a plus change, curveball. If his performances to date are any indication, then this kid could be something special. 

http://www.scout.com/mlb/indians/story/1679901-floridians-mckenzie-hillman-begin-pro-ball

Been following his progress since he was drafted. Really intrigued by his potential. I have him in a deep dynasty league, but it's never too early to get in on guys like this. 

21 hours ago, zingzing said:

Been following his progress since he was drafted. Really intrigued by his potential. I have him in a deep dynasty league, but it's never too early to get in on guys like this. 

Small sample but damn he's been dominant.  Very young for the level he's at right now as well.

Thru 27.2 IP in short A McKenzie has allowed 1 ER for a miniscule 0.33 ERA. In his minor league career he has allowed 2 ER thru 39.2 IP with a K/BB of 48/10 and a .76 WHIP. He has only given up 20 hits with 1 HR in 39.2 career innings. He doesn't turn 19 till next month. Helium alert! 

Updating his stats. Now having pitched 44 innings, his ERA has ballooned somewhat to 0.61, having given up a total of 3ER, two of which came via HRs. His K/9 is still above 9 and his WHIP is 0.95.

I just picked him up in my keeper league. He's going to get a fair amount of love at year's end if he can maintain this level. He's only 19.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Updating his stats. Now having pitched 44 innings, his ERA has ballooned somewhat to 0.61, having given up a total of 3ER, two of which came via HRs. His K/9 is still above 9 and his WHIP is 0.95.

I just picked him up in my keeper league. He's going to get a fair amount of love at year's end if he can maintain this level. He's only 19.

He gets plenty of love from folks close to the Indians, but very little hype as of now outside the organization. He is just as good if not better than all the HS arms in MLB's top 100. I guess that qualifies him as a sleeper prospect. From one McKenzie owner to another, nice pick up. 

• Like 1

Yea he's not even in cbs's database.  Probably the last few months you'll be able to pick him up in deeper dynasties.  I've already seen him mentioned on a few top 100 lists

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Yea he's not even in cbs's database.  Probably the last few months you'll be able to pick him up in deeper dynasties.  I've already seen him mentioned on a few top 100 lists

Care to share those lists? Those are probably the ones I want to see anyway. 

14 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He's not. I had to create a placeholder for him.

5ip 3h 0er 2bb 8k

Thru 9 starts his ERA is now 0.55 with 0.95 whip and 55/16 k/bb ratio. He is going to be on the fast track with this kind of production thus far. 

Now that Paddack is hurt Triston has become my favorite SP prospect.  Damn this guy is just pissing on hitters right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zingzing said:

5ip 3h 0er 2bb 8k

Thru 9 starts his ERA is now 0.55 with 0.95 whip and 55/16 k/bb ratio. He is going to be on the fast track with this kind of production thus far. 

Wow those stats are eye-popping.

2 hours ago, zingzing said:

5ip 3h 0er 2bb 8k

He was actually pretty efficient thru 5 IP (70ish pitches), but they pulled him because of a rain delay. 

Has this guy not signed a contract yet? I had asked CBS about adding him to the player pool and got this response "Once triston Mckenzie has signed his official contract with cleveland he will be added into the player pool."

Sounds like they outsourced their help desk to India, lol. 

Edited by aeron
  • Like 1

Glad to hear he was promoted to LOA. I'm curious to see how well he handles it. I'm expecting nothing different. I've caught 2 starts of his, and he is so advanced for his age, It looked to me that he belonged in HIA. And luckily Lynchburg is in the Carolina league and not in the pitcher killing Cal league. Either way,, I'm glad he's in full season ball, he was just too good for short A. 

Went up against everyone's favorite Anderson Espinoza today and came out ahead:

Mckenzie: 5.2IP 4H 0R 2BB 8K, compared to Espinoza: 1.2IP 6H 4R 0BB 2K

• Like 2

Brian (Ohio): How good are Tristen McKenzie's secondary pitches? Is current fastball velocity the only thing keeping him from becoming one of the top pitching prospects in baseball?
Kyle Glaser: Velo isn’t everything. He’s got a chance to have three plus pitches with advanced pitchability. Curve and change are both above-average and can land for strikes. He’s got room to add strength and improve his FB velocity. With natural development over time and further performance at higher levels, he’ll get there

Brian (Denver): Higher ceiling: Triston McKenzie or Franklyn Kilome? Thanks,
Kyle Glaser: McKenzie for me because he’s already got such an advanced arsenal and better command, but Kilome is nothing to sneeze at. Someone could argue Kilome and it’d be legitimate

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-sept-2-2/#vJwt20It6GoaDtVB.99

• Like 1

Get him before the price tag jumps too high (if it isn't already in dynasty). This kid just seems to have 'it'...